Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
tykempster
Rep
Drives: Viper, Jeep, Mustang, 7.3, M3?

New to me M3 Comp & Initial Thoughts/Things I'd like to Improve

Excited to have joined the community! Here's what I picked up this week, a 2017 M3 Comp w/ 48k miles, sunroof, and I believe fairly optioned out.

I greatly enjoy driving it thusfar, and am able to get a 4 year/48k powertrain warranty for around $4000 which seems like a no brainer to me. It is "Hendrick Autoguard" offered by Kansas City BMW. A previous tune was noted in the pre purchase inspection and I was even told (in writing) that this wouldn't alter the Hendrick warranty....super neat and should allow for extra fun next spring.

There are aspects I REALLY enjoy about the car thusfar, but a few that bug me and I'd like to source from the crowd any information to improve these things:

1) Clutch is SUPER light compared what I'm used to. I guess this isn't a bad thing, but didn't know if an upgraded clutch down the road would give more of the feel I desire. I have a supercharged viper, old diesel truck, v8 swapped old jeep, old mustang, etc and there's more feel and effort required.

----I came from a focus ST as a daily and taking out a clutch assist spring is a common "mod" and gives more clutch feel

2) Shifter feels "rubber bandy" to me. Not notchy or mechanical feeling, though it is quite smooth. Is changing shifter bushings or other components a thing to improve the feel? It just isn't confidence inspiring, doesn't feel robust in terms of shifter feel.

3) Exhaust is notably better sounding in "sport+" mode. Can the exhaust be manually controlled at all?

4) The car has carplay, are there more options for the right side of the split screen? I rented a 2015 this summer to see if I wanted an M3, and while it did not have carplay, it had different options in the split screen mode, like showing HP/TQ numbers which was neat.

5) How do I reset trip/mpg numbers? I also got a different trip counter on the right side of the split screen. I reset it before a long drive home (and got 28mpg, neat), but now I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reset it.

6) On the carplay screen, if I pause a song, it often won't play again without going to the spotify app specifically. Is this a known bug?

That's all I can think of for now...but I'll definitely be looking for community advice on some upgrades after I get through winter. Look forward to contributing and driving this thing for the next several years at least!

Last edited by tykempster; 10-29-2023 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: getting pic to show up
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:17 PM   #2
tykempster
Rep

Hm I cannot see the picture, weird.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 10:58 PM   #3
headstart101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

Get the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts for a better transmission feel. Easy to install as well.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1132.00
      10-30-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstart101 View Post
Get the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts for a better transmission feel. Easy to install as well.
I second this.

I also support a SSK or Turner rear shifter bushing upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:33 PM   #5
Sloblk8
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Competition

I'd recommend getting a single midpipe to help with the exhaust. Only real options for the exhaust flap are to unplug it so it's open all the time which a lot of people do or keep it open all the time with Bootmod3 etc.

With Bootmod3 mine is closed in efficient mode and open in sport and sport+. Other than that there's no real way to control it independently aside from switching modes.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 09:05 PM   #6
tykempster
Rep

Thanks for the advice everyone. I plan on driving as is through the winter, likely tuning in the spring. It's certainly a different driving experience and I look forward to continually refining it to my tastes!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykempster View Post
Excited to have joined the community! Here's what I picked up this week, a 2017 M3 Comp w/ 48k miles, sunroof, and I believe fairly optioned out.

I greatly enjoy driving it thusfar, and am able to get a 4 year/48k powertrain warranty for around $4000 which seems like a no brainer to me. It is "Hendrick Autoguard" offered by Kansas City BMW. A previous tune was noted in the pre purchase inspection and I was even told (in writing) that this wouldn't alter the Hendrick warranty....super neat and should allow for extra fun next spring.

There are aspects I REALLY enjoy about the car thusfar, but a few that bug me and I'd like to source from the crowd any information to improve these things:

1) Clutch is SUPER light compared what I'm used to. I guess this isn't a bad thing, but didn't know if an upgraded clutch down the road would give more of the feel I desire. I have a supercharged viper, old diesel truck, v8 swapped old jeep, old mustang, etc and there's more feel and effort required.

----I came from a focus ST as a daily and taking out a clutch assist spring is a common "mod" and gives more clutch feel

2) Shifter feels "rubber bandy" to me. Not notchy or mechanical feeling, though it is quite smooth. Is changing shifter bushings or other components a thing to improve the feel? It just isn't confidence inspiring, doesn't feel robust in terms of shifter feel.

3) Exhaust is notably better sounding in "sport+" mode. Can the exhaust be manually controlled at all?

4) The car has carplay, are there more options for the right side of the split screen? I rented a 2015 this summer to see if I wanted an M3, and while it did not have carplay, it had different options in the split screen mode, like showing HP/TQ numbers which was neat.

5) How do I reset trip/mpg numbers? I also got a different trip counter on the right side of the split screen. I reset it before a long drive home (and got 28mpg, neat), but now I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reset it.

6) On the carplay screen, if I pause a song, it often won't play again without going to the spotify app specifically. Is this a known bug?

That's all I can think of for now...but I'll definitely be looking for community advice on some upgrades after I get through winter. Look forward to contributing and driving this thing for the next several years at least!

1. The dual mass fly wheel is also what you are feeling. It's very hard to stall the car unless you just dump the clutch.

2. No comment

3. There are a few ways to do this. On BimmerLink, you can manually open the valve, but you need the app to be open and connected to the OBDII port for this to function (PITA). Or you can open the valve by having the car in sport or sport+ and then unplug the valve controller.

4. HP/TQ number is called "Sport Display" is under Dynamic Driving or something in iDrive. You can favorite that screen using the 1-8 so you can push a button and go to it. It's not in carplay. It's really just a gimmick.

5. This is in iDrive and it's under trips or something.

6. I use Apple Music so it might be a spotify only bug.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 12:23 AM   #8
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

BMS OBD module allows you to control the exhaust flap. Couple other brands make one also.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 12:06 AM   #9
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

For the clutch you can delete the clutch delay valve, by replacing it with a part from an e90m3 I believe. This is supposed to improve clutch feel and control.

As far as the shifter is concerned, there are a few options that cover the spectrum from mild to super aggressive. Depends on what you prefer. CAE has a complete shifter assembly that replaces the stock shifter, and gives you a very mechanical feel. Also heard great reviews of the auto solutions short shift kit. And the rouge engineering trans mounts are a cheap and easy upgrade to compliment any shifter upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 04:06 AM   #10
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Why are you comparing a well engineered German performance car to old school stuff. I’m 65 and owned bunch of American muscle cars and Jeeps and modified every one of them. Mostly it provided good improvements although some mistakes were made.

I say leave it stock. My current F80 M3 CS is the only car I left untouched because it’s perfect as is. Also, and this is no bash on those who modify their cars, but go through the various F80/82 forums, and you will note a lot of troubles from modifying especially when trying to extract more power. And in some cases you can make it worse. Also, although your warranty specifically states a previous tune won’t impact your warranty any modifications YOU make could very well cause a problem. BMW did a good job with these cars. Save your money, Leave it alone and appreciate it for what it is.

Regarding the trip reset would it not clock to zero in the I drive if you manually reset it with the button on the Dash by pushing and holding it down. Just a guess if you have not tried. Enjoy your new German hot rod. They are fantastic.
Appreciate 1