EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

04-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Pre-LCI GTS Light Install, anyone directly wire to REM?

As title...

To install the GTS lights (VLAND) all videos on youtube show that you need to run a wire directly from outer lights to in the inners. That wire ends up on display and gets between the truck lid and the trunk lid gasket, looks not OEM and look IMO just plan old horrible! Seems there 2 work arounds but have not seen anyone actually do either, I'm wondering if anyone has done them:

1. Buy an LCI harness and code LED lights, cleanest most OEM way to go but I cannot find any examples online of anyone actually doing this.

2. Wire directly to REM, which seems no one has actually done either.

Either those 2 methods do not work or no one is talking about it. Has anyone actually attempted those methods or anything along those lines?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #2
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Which videos are you watching where the wires are on display? The wires aren't visible once installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #3
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
Which videos are you watching where the wires are on display? The wires aren't visible once installed.
I watched more and some hide it by putting the wire between the body and trunk lid gasket which is also a bad idea, wire gets pinched and there is a potential for water to get in now cause the wire is obstructing the gasket.

(this video shows it on top of the gasket)

(this shows it between the gasket and the body)

How did you do it?

Why not tap directly into the REM? I'll try to find a wiring diagram there definitely a more sleek way to do this mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
I watched more and some hide it by putting the wire between the body and trunk lid gasket which is also a bad idea, wire gets pinched and there is a potential for water to get in now cause the wire is obstructing the gasket.

(this video shows it on top of the gasket)

(this shows it between the gasket and the body)

How did you do it?

Why not tap directly into the REM? I'll try to find a wiring diagram there definitely a more sleek way to do this mod.
I think you are overthinking it. No one reports water issues. The biggest issue has been the malfunctioning units.

The wire has plenty of give so you don't have the issue you described when closing the trunk
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #5
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Both of those videos are terrible.

The connector for the extra harness can easily be popped off the wires to run the cable through an unused hole in the chassis behind the light, then put back on. No drilling or janky running under rubber seals.

The wire runs completely inside the existing trims and can’t be seen once everything is reassembled.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 07:10 PM   #6
30FF
Slow Guy
Rep
Drives: 16' M4

you can fish the wire with a hanger into the trunk, remove the liner on both sides to feel it/see it.
Appreciate 0