02-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Got a new '15 X5, few Qs

Hey everyone,

Old timer here with an E36 from over a decade ago... Back in the game with a X5 this time! Got the beauty yesterday and looking to fix and update few things. Came here knowing you guys are the best resource for DIYers...

Before I start my questions. Here is a quick pic. Ended up just what I was looking for. I got carly and ran diagnostics. thing seemed ok except few things that I don't understand and don't seem too big of a deal lol.

Here we go...
  • I need a 2nd key. What is the best course of action for this?
  • Updating the Nav. I see 2019-1 NEXT is avail. and I found a FSC generator. Is this easy DIY, or should I purchase those 20 dollar ones from ebay
  • Anything important I need to know about this car?
  • The rear pass magazine pouch is broken, it won't spring back. Is this a common problem? Easy fix?
  • The rear AC vents have disconnected for the left and right motion. Is there an easy fix for this?
  • I want to get the phone app with BMW connected. Since this is used, how much is this service? I saw 700 a year... no way I'm paying that if that's how much it really is!
  • Do people use Carly here and code few things on their car? I noticed mirrors fold on lock, My benz has that and I like that feature. What else is there?
  • Common things that break on this car? Car is at 62K miles, no accidents
  • Let me know if there is anything else!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
Hey everyone,

Old timer here with an E36 from over a decade ago... Back in the game with a X5 this time! Got the beauty yesterday and looking to fix and update few things. Came here knowing you guys are the best resource for DIYers...

Before I start my questions. Here is a quick pic. Ended up just what I was looking for. I got carly and ran diagnostics. thing seemed ok except few things that I don't understand and don't seem too big of a deal lol.

Here we go...
  • I need a 2nd key. What is the best course of action for this?
  • Updating the Nav. I see 2019-1 NEXT is avail. and I found a FSC generator. Is this easy DIY, or should I purchase those 20 dollar ones from ebay
  • Anything important I need to know about this car?
  • The rear pass magazine pouch is broken, it won't spring back. Is this a common problem? Easy fix?
  • The rear AC vents have disconnected for the left and right motion. Is there an easy fix for this?
  • I want to get the phone app with BMW connected. Since this is used, how much is this service? I saw 700 a year... no way I'm paying that if that's how much it really is!
  • Do people use Carly here and code few things on their car? I noticed mirrors fold on lock, My benz has that and I like that feature. What else is there?
  • Common things that break on this car? Car is at 62K miles, no accidents
  • Let me know if there is anything else!
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new X5.
You can try checking newTIS for proper instructions on fixing things. Has some very good info, along with the very knowledgeable people on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Congratulations on your X5!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Congratulations on your X5!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

congrats on the f15. there's a few threads here regarding coding here, i would read through that first. talks about software and hardware step by step.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
congrats on the f15. there's a few threads here regarding coding here, i would read through that first. talks about software and hardware step by step.
Yeah, I looked through it. so much info..... overwhelmed. I got carly, but it seems like nobody uses that. Instead that use bimmercoder or something. sucks because I just paid 60 bucks for the carly. ouch
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

is there a brake pad sensor on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
is there a brake pad sensor on these cars?
Yup. One on each axle.
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
ed116
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
Yup. One on each axle.
i plan on doing my pads next week. how owuld one go about resetting the brake sensor? i plan on doing brembo pads as my rotors are in good shape
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed116 View Post
i plan on doing my pads next week. how owuld one go about resetting the brake sensor? i plan on doing brembo pads as my rotors are in good shape
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to replace sensors when triggered?

also, I noticed the traffic thing isn't turned on in my GPS. how do you turn it on? it's greyed out
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to replace sensors when triggered?

also, I noticed the traffic thing isn't turned on in my GPS. how do you turn it on? it's greyed out
If the sensor is triggered then yes, it has to be replaced. They're pretty inexpensive though. I can't help you about GPS - I've never used mine.
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...I noticed the traffic thing isn't turned on in my GPS. how do you turn it on? it's greyed out
Are you referring to RTTI (real time traffic information)...or are you referring to Traffic Jam assisstant?

Here's info about RTTI: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ion/1VnY1xm3oB

Here's info about Traffic Jam Assistant: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eel/1VnXMZcV6k

TIP: since the f15 X5 has multiple engines (4/6/8)...some gas, some diesel...if you leave off the suffix...then no one knows which engine you have...so some of the questions you asked are going unanswered due to lack of vehicle info. It would be like going to the 3, 5, or 7 series forum and only stating you have a 3, 5, or 7. You'd quickly be asked for the remainder of the nomenclature...like 335i, 535d, 750ix, etc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #13
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
If the sensor is triggered then yes, it has to be replaced. They're pretty inexpensive though. I can't help you about GPS - I've never used mine.
yeah, i believe they are supposed to be inexpensive cuz they are wear out items.

and you've never used GPS? how come? I believe BMW has the best "built-in" navi of all cars out there. I do understand nothing beats google and all though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Are you referring to RTTI (real time traffic information)...or are you referring to Traffic Jam assisstant?

Here's info about RTTI: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ion/1VnY1xm3oB

Here's info about Traffic Jam Assistant: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eel/1VnXMZcV6k

TIP: since the f15 X5 has multiple engines (4/6/8)...some gas, some diesel...if you leave off the suffix...then no one knows which engine you have...so some of the questions you asked are going unanswered due to lack of vehicle info. It would be like going to the 3, 5, or 7 series forum and only stating you have a 3, 5, or 7. You'd quickly be asked for the remainder of the nomenclature...like 335i, 535d, 750ix, etc.
Don't know the difference, and didn't know there were two different things so I'll check those out now! How does it work? non subscription based I see.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I found this thing called MPPK. Did little research... there is a dealer near me that does it I think. Link here for MPPK

It sounds expensive for a tune to gain 20hp and 30tq, but I guess bunch of other things. People said car sounds different too. How's that possible? does this car have some sort of electric cutouts or something? people say day and night difference, but I'm having a tough time getting that it's that noticeable with such little gains. some people also said car is .5 sec faster on 0-60... how?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

For updated map software, do the following:

If you have or are willing to purchase an ENET cable and a Windows laptop, follow the instructions below. If not, buy a code.

Go to this thread and post at the end requesting the links for the FSC code generator. Or, you can PM kretzu directly and ask him for the links. You will get a PM with a bunch of links. One contains a ZIP file of the programs you need to produce a FSC code, one is 7-zip (a program used for unzipping ZIP files) and the rest are links for torrent files to download the appropriate maps. You will need the most recent "Road Map North America NEXT 201X.X.7z.torrent". Download these three items.

Install 7-zip, if needed.
Unzip/extract "BMWnavi-v2.7z".
Open the folder you just created.
Open the "Tutorial - how to.pdf" and follow the instructions to produce a FSC code. If it's your first time, you will need the "B tutorial".

After you have your FSC code(s) (I suggest you save them for a later date):

Use a program like qBittorrent to download the entire 19+Gb "Road Map North America NEXT 201X.X.7z.torrent" map package.
After downloading it, extract it to a 32GB or larger USB drive, turn on your car and insert the drive into the USB port in the glove box.
Follow the prompts on the iDrive.

Quote:
So I found this thing called MPPK. Did little research... there is a dealer near me that does it I think. Link here for MPPK

It sounds expensive for a tune to gain 20hp and 30tq, but I guess bunch of other things. People said car sounds different too. How's that possible? does this car have some sort of electric cutouts or something? people say day and night difference, but I'm having a tough time getting that it's that noticeable with such little gains. some people also said car is .5 sec faster on 0-60... how?
What engine do you have: 35i, 35d, 50i?

Since you're out of warranty, if you want some more power and have a gasoline engine, I would start looking at BM3(35i) or BM3(50i). It's a lot cheaper than a MPPK, makes more power and has great support. The base fee gets you one free map/tune of your choice. An additional $50 (35i) or $150 (50i) gets you all available maps/tunes.

If you have a 35i, then yes it has a valve in the exhaust and yes the tune can change how that valve operates. This, combined with changes in boost pressure (ie. turbo operation) and timing advance can have a profound affect on the exhaust sound.

Quote:
The sensors only need to be replaced if they have been worn down. When you look at the sensor, it is basically a rubber blob with two embedded wires. When the brakes wear down sufficiently, they will start to wear off the rubber and sever the connection of the first wire. Eventually, as the brakes continue to wear and eat through the rubber, the second wire is severed. The severing of these wires drives different messages on the idrive. A long as the sensor has not been worn by the brakes, it does not need to be replaced. However, it is a fairly inexpensive and easy piece to change, so most of us go ahead and replace it while doing a pad change.

You should also reset the brake reminder on the idrive after a pad change, whether you replace the sensors or not.

Last edited by Rotzy; 02-26-2019 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #17
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

For updated map software, do the following:

If you have or are willing to purchase an ENET cable and a Windows laptop, follow the instructions below. If not, buy a code.

Go to this thread and post at the end requesting the links for the FSC code generator. Or, you can PM kretzu directly and ask him for the links. You will get a PM with a bunch of links. One contains a ZIP file of the programs you need to produce a FSC code, one is 7-zip (a program used for unzipping ZIP files) and the rest are links for torrent files to download the appropriate maps. You will need the most recent "Road Map North America NEXT 201X.X.7z.torrent". Download these three items.

Install 7-zip, if needed.
Unzip/extract "BMWnavi-v2.7z".
Open the folder you just created.
Open the "Tutorial - how to.pdf" and follow the instructions to produce a FSC code. If it's your first time, you will need the "B tutorial".

After you have your FSC code(s) (I suggest you save them for a later date):

Use a program like qBittorrent to download the entire 19+Gb "Road Map North America NEXT 201X.X.7z.torrent" map package.
After downloading it, extract it to a 32GB or larger USB drive, turn on your car and insert the drive into the USB port in the glove box.
Follow the prompts on the iDrive.

What engine do you have: 35i, 35d, 50i?

Since you're out of warranty, if you want some more power and have a gasoline engine, I would start looking at BM3(35i) or BM3(50i). It's a lot cheaper than a MPPK, makes more power and has great support. The base fee gets you one free map/tune of your choice. An additional $50 (35i) or $150 (50i) gets you all available maps/tunes.

If you have a 35i, then yes it has a valve in the exhaust and yes the tune can change how that valve operates. This, combined with changes in boost pressure (ie. turbo operation) and timing advance can have a profound affect on the exhaust sound.

The sensors only need to be replaced if they have been worn down. When you look at the sensor, it is basically a rubber blob with two embedded wires. When the brakes wear down sufficiently, they will start to wear off the rubber and sever the connection of the first wire. Eventually, as the brakes continue to wear and eat through the rubber, the second wire is severed. The severing of these wires drives different messages on the idrive. A long as the sensor has not been worn by the brakes, it does not need to be replaced. However, it is a fairly inexpensive and easy piece to change, so most of us go ahead and replace it while doing a pad change.

You should also reset the brake reminder on the idrive after a pad change, whether you replace the sensors or not.
This was great, thanks!

I have the 2019-1 NEXT being transferred to a USB stick now. I ordered a lifetime FSC from ebay for 10 bucks so we'll see if it works.

as for the MPPK, I guess I inquired because it was BMW original. I'll take a look at that bootcmod3 now, that one I'll have to research (I do have the i35). I noticed in the morning it was very rumbly (cold start) then it got quiet, so I assumed a valve or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #18
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got the navigation updated! Was fairly straight forward. Now have to fix couple things and save up for the tuning and that mpe!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #19
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
[*]Updating the Nav. I see 2019-1 NEXT is avail. and I found a FSC generator. Is this easy DIY, or should I purchase those 20 dollar ones from ebay
FSC generator? free?

Quote:
[*]Do people use Carly here and code few things on their car? I noticed mirrors fold on lock, My benz has that and I like that feature. What else is there?
look up carly or bimmercode/bimmerlink

carly u need to use their specific wifi adapter($$$) where as bimmercode can work with a variety of OBD adapters ranging from ($-$$$) and also bimmercode seems to have more functions/more things to edit vs carly. personally ive used carly, but i might switch to bimmercode

Quote:
[*]Common things that break on this car? Car is at 62K miles, no accidents[/LIST]
steering wheel adjustment.... eventually it will happen to u, where the steering wheel adjustment moves up/down but stops telescoping. a few people have tried smacking the wheel hard while pushing on the adjustment button to "unstick" the gears with success, including myself. oh also the adjustment grind/rub noise.
      02-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #20
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
FSC generator? free?

look up carly or bimmercode/bimmerlink

carly u need to use their specific wifi adapter($$$) where as bimmercode can work with a variety of OBD adapters ranging from ($-$$$) and also bimmercode seems to have more functions/more things to edit vs carly. personally ive used carly, but i might switch to bimmercode

steering wheel adjustment.... eventually it will happen to u, where the steering wheel adjustment moves up/down but stops telescoping. a few people have tried smacking the wheel hard while pushing on the adjustment button to "unstick" the gears with success, including myself. oh also the adjustment grind/rub noise.
I got lifetime FSC from ebay for 5 dollars... not worth my time even trying to figure out the FSC generator lol. Our benz was like 300 to update the GPS couple years back... this was free. that's a win.

Funny you say the steering wheel adjustment. Same thing happened to our ML350 MY14. eventually I pulled on it while it was trying to move and got it unlocked lol.

I contacted the protuningfreaks or whatever it is. They said their stage 1 will add about 70hp. that's pretty wild. I'm going to start researching that and see what people say.

that being said, my next mod MUST be the new key lol...I can't spend 600 on a tune and have 1 key with no backup.

any suggestions? Looks like 3rd party can't do it, and it must be done by dealer for around 400-500 bucks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Do our cars have Active Sound Design? Pretty sure we don't, but I'm curious
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #22
Rotzy
Captain