E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Exhaust finally arrives

01-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi, after a 2 month wait from a 12-14 business days delivery estimate, my 320i BMW Performance Exhaust finally arrived on Monday from Germany by DHL post that supposedly goes via Australia Post. If you want the heart to grow fonder because of a long wait, this is definitely the way to go, am enjoying the exhaust all the more thanks to the huge delivery time. Just had it and some other goodies installed today. Saved about 40-50 bucks over other suppliers on the exhaust but def would rather have paid the bit extra to save myself the heartache. Also note that if you pay by PAypal you need to lodge a complaint within 45 days or they refuse to look into even an undelivered parcel, thankfully the supplier was quite receptive and followed up with DHL though DHL post said they keep no ongoing track of it and complaints can be made only after 3 months. He also did give me a DHL package tracker link that said being delivered to destination country since the last 2 months and had me visit my local post office 3 times to check. Tried calling Australia post directly but seems 2 of their 4 contact centers are in Queensland and are under because of the floods there, so couldn't get thru".
Atleast all worked fine in the end, more with pictures!!

Last edited by cruvon; 01-19-2011 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

I am super jealous. btw have you considered getting your mechanic to install a highflow cat? i think there will be some genuine HP gains with the exhaust.
      01-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

all 'gains' on a 320 would be pretty neglible unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yupz, the 320i is factory tuned to the max so any tuning gives atmost 10 horses. But must say I do feel an increase in lowdown torque along with the KN intake mod just installed, could be the sporty exhaust sound doing the deceiving though
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Finally!!

Congratulations!!
      01-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
thinbev
proud BMW 335 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

gonna sounds sickkk
Short Shift Kit B &K
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

The 320i's are gonna be the ballers of the next meet. Glad to hear that it turned out well.

@Samoht, as Stu as pointed out already, the PE doesn't bring any gains just a significant noise improvement. It's almost impossible to extract extra power from BMW NA engines.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
The 320i's are gonna be the ballers of the next meet. Glad to hear that it turned out well.

@Samoht, as Stu as pointed out already, the PE doesn't bring any gains just a significant noise improvement. It's almost impossible to extract extra power from BMW NA engines.
Not true. I've sat in a few my friend's NA cars (before E90s came out), the different between a car's OEM setp up and Aftermarket Extractors, Cats and Muffer was night and day.
      01-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

FINALLY hahaha. Hope the baby doesnt mind the slight drone/boominess at ~2k.

Quote:
Mate. 320i is a 10 second car....

...to 100..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
Not true. I've sat in a few my friend's NA cars (before E90s came out), the different between a car's OEM setp up and Aftermarket Extractors, Cats and Muffer was night and day.
Emphasis on current gen BMW NA engines mate, I wasn't referring to anything else BMW engines are already highly tuned from factory for max power and efficiency, so there isn't much else to gain.

Other manufacturers, especially Japanese cars don't do this. This is why simple bolt on mods will bring noticeable gains. If you try the same on an E9x, you will be massively disappointed.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
kunz
OMG-335
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Congrats mate. Bet it sounds awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Emphasis on current gen BMW NA engines mate, I wasn't referring to anything else BMW engines are already highly tuned from factory for max power and efficiency, so there isn't much else to gain.

Other manufacturers, especially Japanese cars don't do this. This is why simple bolt on mods will bring noticeable gains. If you try the same on an E9x, you will be massively disappointed.
I never said anything about tunning the engine (of coz a tune will help), i was talking about the flow of exhaust fumes, making the stock exhaust system more efficient... so your telling me even on a e9x or Fxx or what ever the next next car is, theres gonna be no difference changing exhaust systems??? Thats a big statement you are making. I wont be massively disappointed, and lets not talk about cost vs gain etc coz the $/hp may not stack up for NA engines, so if you are coming from that angle, i may agree
      01-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Jeff I reckon NA BMW engines have a little more power in them BUT

what I was referring to was specifically: a high flow cat on a 4cylinder would prove neglible gains. 1kw? 2kw?

On a 2.5L 6cyl however, catless headers give about 7kw and a tune would give 7kw, resulting in about a 10% increase at the wheels.

And as for getting more power, helllooo stroker kit lol
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I never said anything about tunning the engine (of coz a tune will help), i was talking about the flow of exhaust fumes, making the stock exhaust system more efficient... so your telling me even on a e9x or Fxx or what ever the next next car is, theres gonna be no difference changing exhaust systems??? Thats a big statement you are making. I wont be massively disappointed, and lets not talk about cost vs gain etc coz the $/hp may not stack up for NA engines, so if you are coming from that angle, i may agree
I mean tuning AND the addition of bolt on mods. Tuning brings a maximum gain of 10hp (from OE and AA) and bolt ons such as exhaust and intake not much more than probably 5hp total. Yes, I am saying that for an NA E9x there isn't going to be a significant difference in changing exhaust systems. The whole point is to get more sound.

I didn't mean to offend, all I was saying is that if there is an expectation that you will achieve lots of power gains just from exhaust then there will be disappointment if you own a BMW.

Unless you're going for full straight pipes with no mufflers, no cats, no resonators (which might give another 5-10hp MAYBE) which will sound absolutely terrible anyway, then yes I am sticking by my point that you won't achieve any noticeable gains. There isn't that much restriction in the stock exhaust system to warrant a full swap such as this.

Don't even mention $/hp, that's always going to be terrible for bolt-on mods regardless of whether it's turbo or NA.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Jeff I reckon NA BMW engines have a little more power in them BUT

what I was referring to was specifically: a high flow cat on a 4cylinder would prove neglible gains. 1kw? 2kw?

On a 2.5L 6cyl however, catless headers give about 7kw and a tune would give 7kw, resulting in about a 10% increase at the wheels.

And as for getting more power, helllooo stroker kit lol
Yes mate there is power to be had, but not through simply an exhaust as suggested. I would hardly classify headers and a stroker kit as 'bolt-on'.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I mean tuning AND the addition of bolt on mods. Tuning brings a maximum gain of 10hp (from OE and AA) and bolt ons such as exhaust and intake not much more than probably 5hp total. Yes, I am saying that for an NA E9x there isn't going to be a significant difference in changing exhaust systems. The whole point is to get more sound.

I didn't mean to offend, all I was saying is that if there is an expectation that you will achieve lots of power gains just from exhaust then there will be disappointment if you own a BMW.

Unless you're going for full straight pipes with no mufflers, no cats, no resonators (which might give another 5-10hp MAYBE) which will sound absolutely terrible anyway, then yes I am sticking by my point that you won't achieve any noticeable gains. There isn't that much restriction in the stock exhaust system to warrant a full swap such as this.

Don't even mention $/hp, that's always going to be terrible for bolt-on mods regardless of whether it's turbo or NA.
the setup you suggested will leave no back pressure and result in a loss of at least 5-10hp on the low end. What i mean by exhaust system are headers your primary cats, secondary cats, then the muffer (all highflow), then you be getting more than just plenty of 'sound'. Too many ppl have done it in the past, and plenty will do it in the future, I am just letting you know this is a tried and proven on NA engines...obviously a NA 320i and NA v8 M3 engine the gains varies...but in my case the N52 mods is pricy $4k (alll good stuff not $159 highflows cats from ebay) was the quote..and I'll probably pass given the gains are only 10% or so.
      01-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #17
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
the setup you suggested will leave no back pressure and result in a loss of at least 5-10hp on the low end. What i mean by exhaust system are headers your primary cats, secondary cats, then the muffer (all highflow), then you be getting more than just plenty of 'sound'. Too many ppl have done it in the past, and plenty will do it in the future, I am just letting you know this is a tried and proven on NA engines...obviously a NA 320i and NA v8 M3 engine the gains varies...but in my case the N52 mods is pricy $4k (alll good stuff not $159 highflows cats from ebay) was the quote..and I'll probably pass given the gains are only 10% or so.
I will concede that my first comment 'impossible to extract' was a bad choice of words. It was in reference to the BMWPE which is simply a bolton with volume the only thing in mind.

Yes I agree that your approach will net some gains. I was wrong to assume that by 'exhaust system' you meant stuff from BMWP, Maddad, AR and the like.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

You have it on right? Did you get Steve to do it? And did you keep the springs or go direct bolts? How does it sit? high low? tips too long etc..? and... PICS NOW.

Look forward to hearing it this weekend. I haven't really heard my car from the outside. But you and MO3 can now drive around for me
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #19
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
You have it on right? Did you get Steve to do it? And did you keep the springs or go direct bolts? How does it sit? high low? tips too long etc..? and... PICS NOW.

Look forward to hearing it this weekend. I haven't really heard my car from the outside. But you and MO3 can now drive around for me
Yupz, Steve did it, looks good to me. I think he did it the same as yours. Just added pictures...Yupz, will be able to experience what 3 cars(actually 2) with PE"s at one time in a tunnel sound like
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #20
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

The tunnel on william st underneath the cross. oh my. amazing. And at ~5k you get a nice psssssssssssssssssssst induction noise which is very easy to hear.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #21
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I will concede that my first comment 'impossible to extract' was a bad choice of words. It was in reference to the BMWPE which is simply a bolton with volume the only thing in mind.

Yes I agree that your approach will net some gains. I was wrong to assume that by 'exhaust system' you meant stuff from BMWP, Maddad, AR and the like.
always welcome discussions of ideas and stuff... thanks for ur replys. Cruvon.sorry we derailed your thread alittle. Very nice MODS!!!