E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Self Install?

01-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Self Installed :)

I decided to buy a couple of BMW Performance bits for the beast over x-mas and new year;

Illuminated Door Sills
Selector Lever & Boot
EBrake cover
Pedals

Wanting to get the electronic performance wheel, but looks like BMW have technical issues with them as they are not available anywhere (have tried the US and UK) due to a technical hold according to my parts suppliers

Wound up having the return the Selector Boot & EBrake cover as getbmwparts sent me LHD versions (I spec'd RHD) so have ordered those from the UK now (a week away).

Pedals the pictures all show the footrest cover, but it is sold separately so I'm waiting on that as well.

The door sills arrived today, am thinking I'll have a go at self installation since I found the official instructions from BMW on e90post.

Pics of the parts from the cattledog;
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf DIY-DoorSills.pdf (653.3 KB, 83 views)
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover

Last edited by WOPALX; 01-15-2011 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

nice
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
saferisk
Back in the BMW family
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Very nice
      01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
GT1977
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i DCT

What do you mean by 'foot rest cover"? Is that the black plastic to go behind the metal face on the foot rest for your right foot? My car doesn't have a foot rest there (which annoys me) so I wondered about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I assume foot rest cover refers to the dead pedal. With the dead pedal, you just screw the metal face on over the existing plastic.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1977 View Post
What do you mean by 'foot rest cover"? Is that the black plastic to go behind the metal face on the foot rest for your right foot? My car doesn't have a foot rest there (which annoys me) so I wondered about that.
Footrest is the dead pedal, just screws onto the footrest part.

The other pedals you need to drill holes but they provide an adhesive template you cut out and stick on before you start drilling.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

The illuminated door sills are FULLY SICK but I could never justify the cost for myself. I want the BMW performance wheel with shift lights too.

Not sure how relevant the shift lights are for an automatic car, so I think you can just go get the one without the lights to get around the technical issue.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
The illuminated door sills are FULLY SICK but I could never justify the cost for myself. I want the BMW performance wheel with shift lights too.

Not sure how relevant the shift lights are for an automatic car, so I think you can just go get the one without the lights to get around the technical issue.
Yes they were not cheep, I was considering the CF diffuser and boot lid spoiler but I'd have to repaint the trunk if I did that due to the glue they used to stick my current one on, so figured these were the lesser of two evils

I was trying to order the wheel as well but its been pulled from the shelves of both suppliers I tried due to technical issues. If they eventually release it again I'll certainly snap one up then hoodwink Adrian from Vishnu to push data to it
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

They are bringing out a new look performance wheel, the wait will be worth it
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Still Looking

where did you buy the pedals from? how much? I am also looking at getting them. was the install hard to do?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #11
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
They are bringing out a new look performance wheel, the wait will be worth it
Great news

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon20 View Post
where did you buy the pedals from? how much? I am also looking at getting them. was the install hard to do?
www.getbmwparts.com

Don't forget to but the dead pedal as its a separate item.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:57 AM   #12
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Fully sick mate :)

Spent today playing with the car, went back to the stock air box (had the shits with getting quizzed by the fuz every time I get RBT'd), updated to V5 tuning wise and installed a new HAVAC filter for shits and giggles.

I also installed the Performance Sill's, I ran into a small problem that the instructions I downloaded from e90 was for an earlier part number so I had an extra wire

Luckily Steve, a freelance BMW tech I'm now using for maintenance, was kind enough to email me the correct ones so I could finish the install. ANYONE wanting great service in eastern Sydney should give him a try. His email is bmw.minitech@live.com .

So some finished pics, iPhone only and during day light. Car is filthy and needs a clean but hey I'm estatic with the results so had to share.

I'll try and get some tonight when it's dark if I can turn the lights off in the carport but may wait until tomorrow so I can give the beast a clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #13
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Looks good! How well will the tune work with stock airbox? And whats the NA mode like?

Steve is a legend.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #14
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Looks good! How well will the tune work with stock airbox? And whats the NA mode like?

Steve is a legend.
I've run the stock airbox more than the injen so probably wont notice much difference. I may go the dinan route or just a high flow filter.

Yes Steve is a top guy!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #15
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Crappy night pics

Just from the iPhone for now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #16
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Looks so good!

Hope qld doesn't get so bad they lift the hood on an RBT!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #17
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Here's the new one...

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #18
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Here's the new one...

Part number yet Jarrad or are just being a prick tease
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Spent today playing with the car, went back to the stock air box (had the shits with getting quizzed by the fuz every time I get RBT'd), updated to V5 tuning wise and installed a new HAVAC filter for shits and giggles.

I also installed the Performance Sill's, I ran into a small problem that the instructions I downloaded from e90 was for an earlier part number so I had an extra wire

Luckily Steve, a freelance BMW tech I'm now using for maintenance, was kind enough to email me the correct ones so I could finish the install. ANYONE wanting great service in eastern Sydney should give him a try. His email is bmw.minitech@live.com .

So some finished pics, iPhone only and during day light. Car is filthy and needs a clean but hey I'm estatic with the results so had to share.

I'll try and get some tonight when it's dark if I can turn the lights off in the carport but may wait until tomorrow so I can give the beast a clean.
You have to pop the hood everytime for an RBT? Damn that's not cool.

How did you upgrade to the V5 software? Unfortunately I'm missing the necessary cable to my laptop which does not have the serial port. I read the instructions on the Vishnu board and it is also something I do not wish to muck up. The firmware can be updated with the chip installed right?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #20
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Yes you can upgrade from V4 to V5 from the vishnu new web site just download the V5 firmware to your computer to the vishnu procede through the cable and you get N/A mode which is strange but loud.
Waiting for the new upgrade which is free for autos and DCT which i've heard is't smoother again.
      01-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #21
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Yes you can upgrade from V4 to V5 from the vishnu new web site just download the V5 firmware to your computer to the vishnu procede through the cable and you get N/A mode which is strange but loud.
Waiting for the new upgrade which is free for autos and DCT which i've heard is't smoother again.
The problem is I'm missing the cable. I guess I should just go buy one at Dick Smith or something

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #22
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Jeff,

All you need is a usb to serial adapter cheap and easy.

Cheers,

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
The problem is I'm missing the cable. I guess I should just go buy one at Dick Smith or something
Appreciate 0