E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Road Trip to Tasmania (Image Heavy)

12-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
gobobbie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E93 320D LCI

Road Trip to Tasmania (Image Heavy)

Happy New Year Everyone!

I've just returned from a week in Tasmania via the Spirit of Tasmania and thought I would let those of you who are interested know about some great locations to really enjoy your Bimmer. I picked up my 320d e93 only four weeks ago and was hanging out to really get a chance to see how well it drives, and also to have the top down (given the terrible recent Melbourne weather). Heading to Tasmania over the Christmas break was a fantastic opportunity to check out the amazing beaches and National Parks.

Spirit of Tasmania

As most of you would likely be, I was apprehensive about taking the car on the boat given the horror stories of cars knocked about on ferries etc. Nothing could be further from the thruth, the ship is very smooth sailing and there is tonnes of room when you park the car on board the ship. If you open your door the widest possible, it would not touch the car next to you. I took the dogs across too and props to BMW for the excellent rear seat protector specifically moulded to the e93. The dogs were harnessed so there was no chance of any scratches in the new car. Once you board the ship obviously you put the dogs in a crate on board the ship over night, FYI. Whilst queuing to enter and leave the boat is a little painful, it's well worth it once you hit Tassie in your own BMW rather than the dreaded rental cars (Tiidas and Excels mostly) you see all over the island.

Devonport to St Helens

I was staying all week at a family beach house in St Helens which is about a third of the way down on the east coast (the map above is from the navigation and doesn't reflect the route we took, it's inverted too, obviously!). The drive there was great - lots of highways (110 km/h) followed by open winding roads, an amazing pass through St Mary's before a coastal drive to St Helens. I was blown away by the torque and overall drivability of the 2 litre diesel engine. There were plenty of opportunities to overtake in the 3 hour drive and the car (burdened with two passengers, two dogs, a week's luggage and a hard-top roof) was nothing short of amazing given said engine size. At no point did I want for more power, believe it or not.

Below are a couple of pics taken for the obligatory dog stop...

Here's a pic of the beach our beach house backed directly onto. Not a person in sight! Such a nice change from suburban Melbourne and the packed beaches in summer. Technically this beach is in Beaumaris, which is just before you hit St Helens.

The next day we headed out for a drive through St Helens and onto Binalong Bay. BB was a total highlight for me. Having been to Vanuatu twice, Noumea, Port Douglas and remote coastal NT in the last two years, I wondered why I hadn't just headed here all along. Obviously the water is a little 'fresher' but where else would you find such a pristine beach with so little beach goers (that wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to get to).

Next up I threw caution to the wind and explored some of the shoreline dirt tracks above Binalong Bay. It wasn't long before the car was absolutely filthy (I got back this morning and could not wait to wash it, which I've just done) and I bit my lip and drove through some great dirt tracks (was also hoping the run flats didn't get a flat) as you'll see below.

The following day I drove down to Freycinet National Park, which is about two thirds down the east coast of Tassie. AMAZING is all I can say. The drive there was another thrill, with more open twisty roads all 100 - 110km/h and plenty more overtaking opportunities. I didn't get any pics of the car in Freycinet but took a couple of pictures below of what you can see there. The first pic is Coles Bay, which you drive up to in the National Park. There is a lodge there where you can have lunch (and a vino in the sun). Before we had lunch, we did the 2.5hr round trip hike over one of the hazards into Wine Glass Bay (second pic below). WGB is rated as one of the top 10 beaches in the world and it did not disappoint. The hike is a bit arduous (you head up the mountain, then back down to the beach, before doing it all over again on the way back). The second pic is of Wine Glass Bay. Not only is the beach beautiful, there is no access via car so it's relatively remote, although there were many walkers there over the Christmas / NY break. There was also a Kangaroo or Wallaby on the beach sitting an arms length from us which was no doubt hanging out for a feed from an irresponsible tourist.

Before returning to Melbourne, there was lots more exploring the mountain and coastal roads, including another trip up St Mary's Pass, and down Elephant Pass (another side of the mountain), which is truly breath taking and an awesome drive.

Before returning home, I again risked a flat and decided to head up to a look out over Scamander Bay. The look out is on a very dirt / gravel road shared with logging trucks (fortunately they were not working over the break) and with no guard rails and a clean drop off each edge. The track is open to both motorists and the loggers. I took some pictures of the trip up the mountain...

...and here are some at the top of one of the logging tracks. Forgive the size of the images here, I thought they were a great representation of the view (and the car of course). Note the car is now covered in bugs and dust EVERYWHERE!

Finally it was time to head back down the mountain...

And here is a pic with the logging mountain in the background...

P1020355 by BimmerFan320d, on Flickr

Thanks for reading - hope you enjoyed the post and have an awesome NYE!

Last edited by gobobbie; 12-31-2010 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Drew335
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Fantastic write-up of your trip, thanks for taking the time to share

I've done the Tasmania trip in my own car as well, albeit many years ago in a Honda Integra Type R. My experience with the trip over was very similar, ie no worries about the car getting damaged and it was good not being stuck in a renter on such great driving roads.

Congrats on the new wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
great photos. would have been an amazing drive!!
      12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Thanks - enjoyed the read and photos. We are thinking it's about time to visit Tasmania so good to hear positive words about the sea route. Would be a shame to get stuck with a Camry...
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

I live here and haven't been to half of those places. I hope you enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

looks fantastic. I'm planning on doing something similar next year - my mate is having his wedding at Cradle Mountain. Other than the drive from Davenport to Cradle mountain (1.5 hrs?), I'll really only have one day of driving to enjoy the roads.

Do you have any suggestions on which ones to take, obviously orignating and finishing at Cradle mountain.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Drew335
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

if you'll be at Cradle Mountain then the drive to Stahan and back via Queenstown is pretty special. not sure if you have ever watched Targa Tasmania, this is one of the epic stages of that event!

there are so many bends, curves, dips and other features to keep you entertained that after a while I found myself longing for a straight stretch so I could have a break

in this sense being on that side of Tassie has it's advantages, because (depending on the time of year) there is less traffic and more driving roads.

picture below of the road out of Queenstown...

also have a look at the Targa Tasmania website http://targatasmania.com.au/Tasmania/course.html and then check out some of the related footage, gives you a good idea of the roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Very good read. Makes me want to visit Tassie now although I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to risk those dirt tracks.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Awesome car, great road and nice photo!

Thx for sharing!!! I wish I can drive my Bimmer there.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

looks like a fantastic trip!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

I drove from Launceston to Hobart today, but instead of going straight through Campbell Town I turned off and went via the Lake Leake Highway. I stopped off at Swansea and took these photos. Sorry its not a BMW, but I am an ex M3 owner and I will return, I promise!

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
scheps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TTMK2

Me likes image heavy when its nice image

BTW sorry NBTBRV8 I prefer gobobbie's shots coz he got that little doggie
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
gobobbie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nez View Post
looks fantastic. I'm planning on doing something similar next year - my mate is having his wedding at Cradle Mountain. Other than the drive from Davenport to Cradle mountain (1.5 hrs?), I'll really only have one day of driving to enjoy the roads.

Do you have any suggestions on which ones to take, obviously orignating and finishing at Cradle mountain.
Hi Nez,

It looks like Drew has some great suggestions just below your post. As I was not near Cradle Mountain, I couldn't recommend any routes in that area. From what I could see however, you will be spoiled with some great drives no matter what direction you take in Tasmania!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
gobobbie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
I drove from Launceston to Hobart today, but instead of going straight through Campbell Town I turned off and went via the Lake Leake Highway. I stopped off at Swansea and took these photos. Sorry its not a BMW, but I am an ex M3 owner and I will return, I promise!

Hey no need to apologise NBTBRV8, your car is spectacular!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

whew, beautiful pics and Tassies amazing, and all I had heard was that Tassie is cold and not touristy, must visit there. The Spirit of Tasmania has stopped sailing from Sydney, right?
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice write-up and shots thanks for sharing.

I am going in March for 4 days but will be sticking to the sealed roads

I'm taking the bike not the car.
Attached Images

2008 E90 335i MSport, Blacklines, Tint, V4
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
gobobbie
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
The Spirit of Tasmania has stopped sailing from Sydney, right?
It has, you would need to go via Melbourne. There are two ships, and they sail twice daily (they cross paths on each journey as each ship sails morning and then evening).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobobbie View Post
It has, you would need to go via Melbourne. There are two ships, and they sail twice daily (they cross paths on each journey as each ship sails morning and then evening).
thanks
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |
Appreciate 0