E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > The new M1

12-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

The new M1

nice car but what's with the 0-200 timing instead of the usual 0-100 standard?

Quote:
BMW says it will also accelerate from standstill to 200km/h in 17.3 seconds and reach an electronically governed top speed of 250km/h.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...210-18sdr.html
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
orey
Banned
Rep
Drives: the forums

0-100km/h (claimed): 4.9 seconds
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
i don't see how this car is better than, or worth more than a standard 135i with Procede installed?

It only produces 25kW more... pathetic!!!

Give it a dedicated engine and you'd have somebody's attention.
      12-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Agree, they should have shoehorned the v8 from the M3 into it. The n54, while a great motor does not make the 1m as special as it should be.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Agree, they should have shoehorned the v8 from the M3 into it.
that would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
GME92
BMW Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M Sport DHP

This car looks like an M car from the outside but because of the engine that's in it, they should have called it a 135iS.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

The power isn't at all mind blowing considering it's already been in iS form for the past year.

But damn that angry face looks neat, along with all the M3 suspension bits and M diff. A beast when PROceded.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianPete View Post
i don't see how this car is better than, or worth more than a standard 135i with Procede installed?

I think there will be sufficient people who will recognise all the other work that has gone into the car. Certainly if it steers, rides and handles in a way approaching the M3 but, being slighly lighter and smaller, feels a touch more agile, it is going to be worth every single penny over a 135i.

But then I might be strange - I reckon the M3 is better value than the 335i
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
M3 better value than 335i .... hahah i think you are strange

The M3 is an absolute beast of a machine, but being able to get close to the times and handling of an M3 in a 335i with a bit of intuitive modification IMO makes the 335i better bang for your buck by far!!!

As for the M1, I know there are HUGE debates over in 1-Town about the validity of the M1 and if it deserves that title... so I'll leave that to the true 1Addicts
      12-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

It's not just about the extra 25kw or that a 135 with procede will give better bang for buck. The M1 comes out of the M division and will have a lot of other tips and tricks ove the 135 to justify it's existance. Let alone it will be a bit more exclusive and more desirable so should command a beter resale (less depreciation) than it's 135 brother. When you take this into concideration, Jonnyday's commnet makes total sence.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianPete View Post

I agree about the engine being a letdown but you have overlooked the chassis, brakes, steering, M diff, suspension and interior etc... and by the time you try to match all of these factors you are already past the 1M price with far less resale value.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #12
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

And since the hero model of the range is still powered by the N54...hopefully this ups the value of my 135i

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
Drew335
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

I'm a bit disappointed with how this car has turned out. some of you might remember I put a holding deposit on one back in July (post here) when I got a bit excited about a baby M car. I cancelled the order shortly thereafter when I realised it would simply delay my chance to get into an M3, which is what I am really keen to see parked in my driveway each morning.

(driving an M3 at a recent BMW drive day simply cemented my desire to own one )

while I like the look of the 1 series M, it doesn't tick enough boxes for me. I had hoped for more power and engine tweaks, a DCT gearbox and a few other goodies ie the CF roof or a CSL style tail.

haivng said that I am sure BMW will sell every single one of them. to get into an M car for less than a 335 will be too good an opportunity for many...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
Samoht
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e92

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I think there will be sufficient people who will recognise all the other work that has gone into the car. Certainly if it steers, rides and handles in a way approaching the M3 but, being slighly lighter and smaller, feels a touch more agile, it is going to be worth every single penny over a 135i.

But then I might be strange - I reckon the M3 is better value than the 335i
I have to agree with you, if I wanted a more powerful car, M3 is better value than a 335i. LSD, M3 suspensions, power delivery etc. Its not how many HP you can get with mods, its how it handles as a whole package.

As for the M1, it will look ultra dated to the general public in 6 months. that frontal design, grills, headlight shape, setback front (apart from the minor reshaping) has been out since I don't know how long..since the first 1 series 118i dropped..LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
GT1977
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i DCT

I have a view that might be a bit controversial for some of you. Personally, I don't like the idea of putting aftermarket mods on a car. When I get sick of my 335, I'll probably go for an M3, even if it wont be as fast as a 335 with lots of performance mods on it.

So, as for the 1 Series M (yep, its not a M1, as of course that was BMW's true supercar of the past), I think it is a great proposition for anyone who wants a true M package car and cant stretch to an M3 which is a lot more money.

For those of you who have lots of mods on your cars, there is nothing wrong with that either, it is your individual choice, but it doesn't meant the BMW's 1 Series M (perhaps the appropriate short name would be '1M') is a bad idea. It still has more performance than the 135 so they have achieved their goal.

I know Jeremey Clarkson wont agree, but it is not all about power. You can guarantee that the 1M will corner better than a standard 135i, it will stop a hell of a lot quicker and more consistently when the brakes get hot (if you are on a track day) and have a few other bits that the 135i wont. So it might not be the fastest car on the planet, but it definitely will be a step up from the 135i so BMW will have achieved their goal. Plus, anyone who buys a 1M will probably want to upgrade to an M3 in the future, and if that happens, again BMW have achieved their goal.

For anyone that says you can put mods on a 135i and be faster than a 1M, then yep, you probably can, but you can also put mods on a 1M and be faster again, if that tickles your fancy.

Mods don't do much for your resale value either, so a used 1M will always be more desirable than a modified 135i in the same way that a standard 135i will be easier to sell than a modified 135i.

But just to put the fires out, if oyu like the idea of modifying your car, then that is fine (but it doesn't mean that BMW failed in their original design). Perhaps they need credit for giving us such good cars to start with.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #16
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1977 View Post
I have a view that might be a bit controversial for some of you. Personally, I don't like the idea of putting aftermarket mods on a car. When I get sick of my 335, I'll probably go for an M3, even if it wont be as fast as a 335 with lots of performance mods on it.

So, as for the 1 Series M (yep, its not a M1, as of course that was BMW's true supercar of the past), I think it is a great proposition for anyone who wants a true M package car and cant stretch to an M3 which is a lot more money.

For those of you who have lots of mods on your cars, there is nothing wrong with that either, it is your individual choice, but it doesn't meant the BMW's 1 Series M (perhaps the appropriate short name would be '1M') is a bad idea. It still has more performance than the 135 so they have achieved their goal.

I know Jeremey Clarkson wont agree, but it is not all about power. You can guarantee that the 1M will corner better than a standard 135i, it will stop a hell of a lot quicker and more consistently when the brakes get hot (if you are on a track day) and have a few other bits that the 135i wont. So it might not be the fastest car on the planet, but it definitely will be a step up from the 135i so BMW will have achieved their goal. Plus, anyone who buys a 1M will probably want to upgrade to an M3 in the future, and if that happens, again BMW have achieved their goal.

For anyone that says you can put mods on a 135i and be faster than a 1M, then yep, you probably can, but you can also put mods on a 1M and be faster again, if that tickles your fancy.

Mods don't do much for your resale value either, so a used 1M will always be more desirable than a modified 135i in the same way that a standard 135i will be easier to sell than a modified 135i.

But just to put the fires out, if oyu like the idea of modifying your car, then that is fine (but it doesn't mean that BMW failed in their original design). Perhaps they need credit for giving us such good cars to start with.
well said, though I wasn't in the modding camp till of late, is great if those added frills go a long way in tickling ones senses and makes you love your car more instead of staying all stock, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #17
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1977 View Post

This is all valid, except the biggest gripe most people have isn't based on the power alone - it's the fact that the baby M is using the same N54 engine as the 135i/335i/Z4 rather than an engine specifically designed or even tweaked by M (e.g. the S65 V8 of the M3 and S63 of the X5/6 M). This means it'll have the SAME fuel pump issues, SAME heatsoak issues and the SAME turbo problems. Sure, it has an additional oil cooler but that's straight out of the BMW performance bin rather than any M input. Sounds like a weak choice given the 1M has track intentions.

It also means than a tuned 1M will put out the exact same power as a tuned 135i. That's the point people are getting at. It's merely a software tweak to obtain 250kw that is completely overridden by aftermarket piggies anyway.

I myself have absolutely no problems with the handling package of the 1M, bolting on all the M3 bits in a lighter (albeit slightly) tighter car will work wonders. It will be an epic car because of this. It will definitely steer a lot better than a stock 135i and you are right in pointing this out.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 1M, just some of us are slightly disappointed at their choice of powerplant, regardless of tuning or not. The handling is definitely going to be brilliant, but that's a whole different point.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #18
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Maybe BMW were just testing the water to see how receptive people were going to be with a baby M. Don't forget, the current 1 series is also starting to look a bit dated and due for a major face lift. Yes ... I know the 1 coupe hasn't been out that long but the 1 sedan has been out for ages. BMW corp probably gave "M" division a small budget to play with and based on it's success, will determine how strong a business case can be made for a true 1M racer in the next generation.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
cino335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335

that car is so sick
Appreciate 0