E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > RE .. engine noise E90

11-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
aussie 64
Rep
Drives: 320i E90 executive

RE .. engine noise E90

Well guys more reports on the engine noise I reported earlier. I had new belt tensioner put in and ......... no difference...... I now reckon the noise is coming from the tensioner as when i put a shifter on the nut and apply pressure the vibration stops and so does the noise, but... something else is causing the tensioner to rattle and vibtrate!!..anyway car is going back to garage this week for further investigation...comment from daughter who has a mazda 2 " what a crap car you been ripped off "
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
BlockbusterAU
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie 64 View Post
Well guys more reports on the engine noise I reported earlier. I had new belt tensioner put in and ......... no difference...... I now reckon the noise is coming from the tensioner as when i put a shifter on the nut and apply pressure the vibration stops and so does the noise, but... something else is causing the tensioner to rattle and vibtrate!!..anyway car is going back to garage this week for further investigation...comment from daughter who has a mazda 2 " what a crap car you been ripped off "
I have the same issue with my 2005 E90 320i. Cold start, gear in R or D has rattling/vibration sound. Once you start driving or start it again when it's warm it's gone.

Let me know if you ever get to the bottom of this.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
aussie 64
Rep

serpantine belt

well looks like things are getting more clearer here regarding the noise from the tensioner. I had a new belt put in that is from an audi, it is 5mm shorter than the bmw one. The noise has been deadened by approx 85% , My mechanic recons the noise is being caused by vibrations from the air conditioner condenser. next plan is to look at the air con to see if new bearings can be applied as the new one is $1800 new. Also he is looking to isolate the air con from the the tensioner by using two belts instead of the one serpentine so that sounds like a plan....getting to the end now hopefully
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
aussie 64
Rep

just another note on e90 320i cold start rattle, my mechanic replaced the a/c compressor on a similar car and niose and rattle went so it looks like it may cost $1800 but I think I will get one from a low km wreck too close to xmas for that kind of money.
phew at last a solution
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
andrew@southernBM
Rep
Drives: M2 G87, M4 G82

So does it still make the noise with the belt off?

If not then i would look at the Alternator, take the belt off, grab the neck of the Alternator pulley and give it a twist, a flick of your wrist, after you flick it, hold the pulley tight and see if you can see the insides of the Alternator moving, if the inside moves, then no issue, if it doesn't move the pulley needs replacing, the front pulley is actually a clutch and drives all the time when it requires replacing and grumbles.
Appreciate 0