E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Audio upgrade installer

10-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
yxalitis
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 325i E90 Executive

Audio upgrade installer

Looking for a good audio installer in Melbourne:
OK, just went mad, and bought the Alpine upgrade kit for my 2006 320D.
Reading through the LEEENGTHY guides on installing this, I see it is a long and fiddly job, but not too difficult.
HOWEVER, I may need to get it done professionally to maintain my 3rd party warranty, so i asked BMW for a quote.
The official installation instructions say 2 1/2 hours, which on BMW terms is $500.
That's $200 an hour !!!
My Gods, I thought dentists were expensive!@@!!
Anyway, I thought there must be another option, there are many many places I can go and get this done that won't charge me $200/hour, but I want one that I know will do a superb job, preferably having experience on beemers as well.
So, what I want to know is, do you guys know of and recommend an audio fitter that has done this sort of work before...it involves lifting the rear seat, foot sills, opening the door interior etc etc.
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

what exactly does the 'alpine upgrade kit' involve?

do you have business hifi or professional hifi right now and do you have iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
yxalitis
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
what exactly does the 'alpine upgrade kit' involve?

do you have business hifi or professional hifi right now and do you have iDrive?
The Alpine kit is described in detail here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182752
I have the basic Hi-Fi, no tweeters or anything.
The word "Professional" written on the radio does not mean I have the professional hi-fi, which has confused even BMW techs in the past.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

$200/hr might sound expensive but things can go wrong.

Look at this thread, even BMW Sydney could not get the Alpine kit to work in this guys car.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421833
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

mmmm... let me know how you Alpine goes

My car just had too many problems - dodgy Alpine which didnt work properly, really low PDC volume, low sat nav woman volume. Ended up needing a new MASK head unit and something else. Even with the new headunit, Alpine just doesn't work well on my car. (two separate Alpine kits were tried)

BMW Sydney couldn't solve the problem so they went to BMW Australia. Unfortunately after a while, they decided they couldn't resolve the issue either so they sent the problems to BMW AG in the Fatherland. I went back to collect my car yesterday and what do you know..? Drivers side door speaker isnt working. I was amazed at how a BMW dealer can just not even bother to check if all the speakers work! Getting it installed at BMW means nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
yxalitis
Banned
Rep

Thanks guys, but as it turns out, to retain my warranty , I HAVE to use BMW...oh well, I was kind of worried about what would happen if some aftermarket installer broke the wood trim, and I am not 100% sure they would replace all the trim pins after removing it as you're supposed to...my first BMW had a loose trim, upon investigation, all but 2 pins were buggered. I grabbed a hand full from a BMW stealer, they were only $2 each for crying out loud...!
I am confident that BMW can install their own upgrade kit into their own cars that they crawl around in daily, odd instances like your experience aside.

As I am fond of saying, there is not a product sold anywhere in the world that is so reliable, so fault free, that you can't find a forum full of people telling you it's the worst thing ever made...
Appreciate 0