E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Reunited

05-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Ha66is
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 911 C2

Reunited

Well....got the car back Tuesday.

To recap....

• Charge pipe blew off Sun 11th Apr
• Refitted Mon 12th
• Blew-off again Weds 14th
• Car 'prepped' for stealership
• Car into Stealership Th 15th ; Advised charge pipe sensor (TMAP??) obliterated (WTF), would take 10-14business days to arrive from Germany
• Icelandic volcano chaos starts
• Go on vacation 1st May
• Return 24th May
• Pick up car 25th May - all good and well

So, after 'prepping' the car, do i 'unprep' again??

You see, I sh1t myself when my not inexpensive indulgence let go!! I had taken a ‘she'll be right‘ approach to what i had done to the car between 1k kms and 3k kms but when this happened i literally went cold with fear.

Maybe i shouldn’t have meddled as it would seem i am too afraid of the warranty issue, but, now that i have (did) and tasted the car in a ‘different state’, i am kinda wondering about that wee silver box and harness that's sitting in the garage ;-)

Does anyone else suffer from this lily livered stance on their car??

Have i simply been unlucky with the charge pipe?

The question is: - return car to its previous state or leave in dealer friendly state??
(sorry if above is cryptic, but hopefully you’ll all get the picture)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Mate it's a normal response the first time it happens.

Re-prep but go a conservative route IMHO.

But remember the adage you have to be prepared to pay if the s*it hits the fan.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

It's a common problem. When installing my Helix FMIC, I blew the aftermarket hose off a couple times under full boost which scared me. Turned out I didn't have the clamps on tight enough.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a procede, FMIC, intake, full catless exhaust, Forge DV's, lowered suspension and this weekend the vishnu methanol kit is going in. She literally hasn't missed a beat, but I change the oil every 5,000km and keep an eye on the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Ha66is
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Mate it's a normal response the first time it happens.

Re-prep but go a conservative route IMHO.

But remember the adage you have to be prepared to pay if the s*it hits the fan.
Hey S, thanks man; how goes it??

Yup, I get it, if you're not prpared to pay; dont play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
It's a common problem. When installing my Helix FMIC, I blew the aftermarket hose off a couple times under full boost which scared me. Turned out I didn't have the clamps on tight enough.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a procede, FMIC, intake, full catless exhaust, Forge DV's, lowered suspension and this weekend the vishnu methanol kit is going in. She literally hasn't missed a beat, but I change the oil every 5,000km and keep an eye on the tune.
Thanks J, seeing it lying on the shefl in the garage is lie an itch that needs scratching; BADLY!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
so, does everyone 'prep' their car before going to the dealer?
will the dealer care too much?
after all, you bought a $150k car from them and if they give you too much grief, are you ever going to buy another one from them?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Ha66is
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
so, does everyone 'prep' their car before going to the dealer?
will the dealer care too much?
after all, you bought a $150k car from them and if they give you too much grief, are you ever going to buy another one from them?
JP

How you doing??

I see it this way.

Notwithstanding your point, which i think is valid from a customer perspective, as a business man why would a dealer principal expose himself to unnecessary costs (always significant costs given their charges)?

The arrogance of BMW is perpetuated right through their operation with exceptions at individual level being the stand-out exception as opposed to the rule. ‘Pissing off’ a client with a denied warranty claim or a voided warranty is hardly likely to deter them IMHO.

The above is all just my experience which has hardly deterred me, my car is my 9th BMW in 2 countries; all except the 1st bought from dealers and all except the 1st and 2nd were new. So I guess I am the epitome of arrogance and substandard (potentially) service not affecting my loyalty. Bottom line is, I guess, the Germans (not just the boys from Munich btw) know how to mass produce cars; period!!!!

Now in this instance; I simply shit myself badly enough to say, f4ck it, I better get the car in shape. I was 3 mths after ‘stretching’ on a 150k car and the last thing I needed was a voided warranty, even though, with my reasonable BMW experience, I can’t even get to my little finger on one hand counting how many issues I’ve had with my BMWs. They would be perfectly justified (and reasonably so) in saying “erm sir....your charge pipe blew off simply because your car is boosting over that which was intended and thus you have to cough for the repair”. An even worse scenario would be them completely voiding the warranty associated with the not uncomplicated lump that makes the car go (remember, this is not a 5k 6.0l crated lump from Chevrolet).

Now, as it is, I absolutely reckon I got top notch service. No one could convince me that even though I prepped my car; they couldn’t tell it was in a previous state. I don’t even think this would be that hard; FFS I have a 335that sounds very different and has 2 more exhaust pipes than it should - a decent indicator of propensity to mod if you ask me. Maybe the cost of the repair and the time I had their car was not enough for them to treat differently, but, if the turbos had ‘let go’ or something, I wonder if they’d have viewed differently. All was well that ended well in this instance.

Now, to that wee silver box and harness on the shelf in the garage……??????........hmmmmm……

Cheers

Thommo
Appreciate 0