M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Droid Incredible

04-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Droid Incredible

so who preordered the incredible? can't wait for the 29th. some good reviews already.
      04-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep

review here...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...reless-review/
      04-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep

anyone get theirs yet? got mine yesterday.

some initial review.

- speakers sounds pretty good, very comparible to droid's awesome speakers.
- sense ui is actually pretty good. it makes things more pretty i think.
- haven't had a chance to play with camera yet
- very very light
- screen is awesome...yeah, direct sunlight kind'a sux.
- virtual keyboard is remarkable. much much much better than droid. i can type pretty fast (without having to slow down like i did with the droid). it kept up pretty well
      04-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

/\ why would you compare the virtual keyboard to that of the Droid which has a physical one? How is it comparable to it's rivals such as the Nexus One?
      04-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

Compare to iphone?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
/\ why would you compare the virtual keyboard to that of the Droid which has a physical one? How is it comparable to it's rivals such as the Nexus One?
It gets maxTouch, which the Nexus One didn't get. The Incredible should also be relieved of the 3G problems of the N1.

But, then again, it's only in CDMA, and I believe the N1 was GSM only, so I don't know how the real reception/signal comparo could be done fairly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep

Quote:
sorry, i mean i was comparing the virtual keyboard on both phones (to be fair). i never tried the nexus one.

comparing to the iphone, i find it very comparible with a slight edge to the iphone. however, the dinc has a vibrate tactile feedback. it's very good. i don't think i can say the iphone keyboard is better now. it's about tied to me. i can type pretty fast on this one.
      04-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
It gets maxTouch, which the Nexus One didn't get. The Incredible should also be relieved of the 3G problems of the N1.
What's MaxTouch?
Google has actually started referring people trying to buy the NexusOne on their website to wait for the Incredible and purchase it from stores. That's a big fail on the N1 if you ask me.
      04-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Another fringe phone.. Been down that road a couple times. htc has a great product but it is no where near as useful for business as a blackberry nor as user-friendly/enjoyable as an Iphone. Just don't get why people waste their money on anything but those two lines. I say this from personal experience. Perhaps people just need to see for themselves. Too bad you get locked into long term agreements.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
What's MaxTouch?
Google has actually started referring people trying to buy the NexusOne on their website to wait for the Incredible and purchase it from stores. That's a big fail on the N1 if you ask me.
Well it really depends on what you consider a "success" for the N1 vs. what Google would consider a "success". Google's intent was not to grab as much market share as possible; they've targeted developers specifically with the N1, giving them out in droves even.... They're done developing the actual physical device, but it's still an incredible platform (no pun intended), and a great phone for those interested in tinkering, coding, etc.... Essentially, they've moved on to the Incredible. I'm sure once they have a phone that they feel is ready to take on "the world", they'll put it out in a fashion befitting of such a claim. This was not their intent with the N1.

MaxTouch allows more than two active points of contact on the screen. It's new.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
Another fringe phone.. Been down that road a couple times. htc has a great product but it is no where near as useful for business as a blackberry nor as user-friendly/enjoyable as an Iphone. Just don't get why people waste their money on anything but those two lines. I say this from personal experience. Perhaps people just need to see for themselves. Too bad you get locked into long term agreements.
HTC phones, whether running Android or WinMo, are very customizable and have a huge developer base. For those looking for an "out of the box" experience, you are right, but the HTC devices are really good and really flexible once you spend time getting used to fooling around with it (i.e. downloading customized ROMs, ported OS's, etc...). My Tilt2 and Fuze run incredibly fast, are incredibly responsive, and can be booted into either Android 2.1 or WinMo 6.5, both of which have been streamlined to run optimally. It's nice, but most people would never delve that far into getting to know their product.

Check out the XDA Developers forum sometimes. Lots of good stuff there.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
Interestingly, several noteworthy reviewers prefer the N1 to the iPhone. For instance, in the CNET prizefight the N1 beat out the iPhone, which was incapable of placing a call to a phone right next to it. The Droid often seems to come out about a tie with the iPhone. I don't understand why people spend money on an iPhone when it seems to fail at the most basic of it's functions, making phone calls. You could argue that is a function of AT&T, however Apple decided to get into bed with them, so you could just as easily argue it's a design flaw in the "iPhone experience". Additionally, I don't want Apple regulating the applications on my phone. I use GV extensively, but Apple banned it from the app store, prompting an investigation by the FTC.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

what a pretentious name for a phone (granted, i do own a 'bold' lol)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #14
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

next thing you know companies are going to make phones called "you're a little punk bitch if you own anything but this... 3g"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Interestingly, several noteworthy reviewers prefer the N1 to the iPhone. For instance, in the CNET prizefight the N1 beat out the iPhone, which was incapable of placing a call to a phone right next to it. The Droid often seems to come out about a tie with the iPhone. I don't understand why people spend money on an iPhone when it seems to fail at the most basic of it's functions, making phone calls. You could argue that is a function of AT&T, however Apple decided to get into bed with them, so you could just as easily argue it's a design flaw in the "iPhone experience". Additionally, I don't want Apple regulating the applications on my phone. I use GV extensively, but Apple banned it from the app store, prompting an investigation by the FTC.
They never banned GV from the app store. It's still being held in review. I'm pretty sure this AT&T has a lot to do with that decision. AT&T does suck though. However, I use my iPhone more as a portable computing device than a cell phone and I know I'm not alone on this. If the iPhone is ever available on Verizon, I'll be the first to switch.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
They never banned GV from the app store. It's still being held in review. I'm pretty sure this AT&T has a lot to do with that decision. AT&T does suck though. However, I use my iPhone more as a portable computing device than a cell phone and I know I'm not alone on this. If the iPhone is ever available on Verizon, I'll be the first to switch.
For all intents and purposes it was rejected from the app store, and that amounts to a sort of defacto ban. If the moderators of this forum suspended your account pending review of your entire posting history, a process which would drag on for several months, I'm fairly certain that in the mean time you would consider yourself banned. A ban can be lifted of course, which leads me to believe our disagreement here is purely semantical.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
For all intents and purposes it was rejected from the app store, and that amounts to a sort of defacto ban. If the moderators of this forum suspended your account pending review of your entire posting history, a process which would drag on for several months, I'm fairly certain that in the mean time you would consider yourself banned. A ban can be lifted of course, which leads me to believe our disagreement here is purely semantical.
Definitely semantics, but if Apple really didn't want it, they would have just rejected it. I have a feeling they will approve it at some point. Maybe with the release of OS4? If Skype is going to work in the background, there's not much reason for Google Voice not to be allowed. I know it's not quite the same, but Skype can hurt AT&T just as much as Google Voice.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
If Skype is going to work in the background, there's not much reason for Google Voice not to be allowed.
Google is a large competitor of Apples. If you look at other competition (aka Flash) you'll notice Apple has no desire to help that venture profit. I imagine GV will be on indefinite 'hold' so they can appease the FCC while not allowing the content on their phone.

Personally, switched to a Blackberry 9700 and couldn't be happier. Not a damn thing I haven't been able to do with this device, and I gaurantee my emails/texts/schedule are done quicker and more efficiently than any other device available today.
      04-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
next thing you know companies are going to make phones called "you're a little punk bitch if you own anything but this... 3g"
Isn't that what iPhone is short for?

I have a Blackberry Storm and hate it. I think when I am ready for a new phone in a few months I'm going to stick with an Android phone. My bro has the Droid and loves it. The Incredible is cool, and I will probably get that unless the actual Nexus One comes out for verizon.

Last edited by SpacE82; 04-30-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacE82 View Post
Isn't that what iPhone is short for?

I have a Blackberry Storm and hate it. I think when I am ready for a new phone in a few months I'm going to stick with an Android phone. My bro has the Droid and loves it. The Incredible is cool, and I will probably get that unless the actual Nexus One comes out for verizon.
It won't.

AFAIK, all N1 are GSM, with no plan for any major modifications or HW updates.

The Incredible is currently only planned for CDMA, so you're in luck there.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I really dont know much of it but it has a silly name.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #22
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
It won't.

AFAIK, all N1 are GSM, with no plan for any major modifications or HW updates.

The Incredible is currently only planned for CDMA, so you're in luck there.
Well it looks like its Incredible for me sorry i had to.
Appreciate 0