Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin 2024 M340 First Oil Change

12-31-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
jb606
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i xDrive

2024 M340 First Oil Change

Normally I let the dealership dealership take care of routine maintenance like this but I had the week off and the weather was really nice. The B58 is the first BMW engine I've done and oil change on and while I prefer BMW over VW/Audi 99% of the time. Oil changes are that 1%. VW/Audi you can do the entire oil change from the top on most of their vehicles. The argument could be made that you don't get all the oil/crap out of the pan but if you change your oil/filter enough it isn't a problem.

I really wish I was recording the whole thing because when I removed the drain bolt it fell out of my hand in to the drain pan and the bolt got stuck in the center drain part and almost overflowed on to my floor. On top of that the oil came out at such a high velocity it bounced out of the pan on to the floor. I'm glad the neighborhood kids weren't outside, they might have learned a few new words.

Besides the Exxon Valdez on my garage floor the whole process wasn't bad. The car after 2600 miles didn't burn any oil. I didn't see any, in the words of Eric over at the I Do Cars YouTube channel, "forbidden glitter" in the oil and the filter had a single copper (or brass?) fleck captured in the media. The next service (10k) will be at the dealership because it was already paid for and they have always done a great job with all of my past BMWs.

Was the DYI'ing an an oil change worth saving about $40? Sure, I'll do it again. With a different drain pan and a box of pigmat at the ready...

The drain plug got stuck where that gray thing in the middle is...
Name:  oildrainpan15quart-716.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  17.8 KB