Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Dead pedal noise

06-22-2023, 04:10 AM   #1
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW GSA 1250 , BMW m340i (soon

Dead pedal noise

Hey y’all
Was wondering if anyone has noticed a creaking or “groaning” noise From dead pedal when u presss ur foot down on it and then lift back off.

I notice it primarily when moving around in my seat or when going over a bump with my foot on the dead Pedal. I’ve attached videos of the sound and the piece of plastic trim that looks like it’s causing it.

Anyone have any solutions or has previously dealt with this issue and fixed it ?

Video of noise
https://vimeo.com/838565234?share=copy

Video of trim causing the issue
https://vimeo.com/838551784?share=copy

Last edited by BimmerLoyal; 06-22-2023 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 11:35 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
Hey y’all
Was wondering if anyone has noticed a creaking or “groaning” noise From dead pedal when u presss ur foot down on it and then lift back off.

I notice it primarily when moving around in my seat or when going over a bump with my foot on the dead Pedal. I’ve attached videos of the sound and the piece of plastic trim that looks like it’s causing it.

Anyone have any solutions or has previously dealt with this issue and fixed it ?

Video of noise
https://vimeo.com/838565234?share=copy

Video of trim causing the issue
https://vimeo.com/838551784?share=copy
I have the same issue. I've noticed it more in the winter but I don't let it bother me too much and I've been living with it.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 01:07 PM   #3
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I have the same issue. I've noticed it more in the winter but I don't let it bother me too much and I've been living with it.
Well this makes me feel a little bit better because it suggests it’s not abnormal. I’ve only looked at one other car and it was my friends and he was unable to make it make any noise lol.

It’s crazy to me how much variation there is from model tomorrow even if you have six different vehicles of the same vehicle model from BMW.

being that I’m OCD every time I notice something I go compare it against other similar year/similar model cars and The level of variation blows my mind.

Some peoples sunroof creeks, some peoples makes no noise at all, some people have slightly off fitment in terms of panel gaps on the interior (specifically by the headliner where it meets the a pillar ) and some people have no issues there at all.

Definitely a lack of consistency amongst BMW vehicles because I’ve also noticed this with their motorcycles as well.

My BMW GSA 1250 makes noises that other peoples doesn’t and also vice versa
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 01:08 PM   #4
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did u get urs new btw ?

Just a quick tip for you by the way, I noticed that if you push down enough on the dead pedal to create space between the two plastic pieces you won’t get any more noise so one trick is to just make sure you apply pressure downward on the pedal and if you maintain downward pressure it will illuminate any noise while you’re actually sitting in the car using the dead pedal.

The problem is that the second you lift your foot the noise will eventually come back because that gap will start to close.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 08:02 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did u get urs new btw ?

Just a quick tip for you by the way, I noticed that if you push down enough on the dead pedal to create space between the two plastic pieces you won’t get any more noise so one trick is to just make sure you apply pressure downward on the pedal and if you maintain downward pressure it will illuminate any noise while you’re actually sitting in the car using the dead pedal.

The problem is that the second you lift your foot the noise will eventually come back because that gap will start to close.
I got mine new.

And yes. I've noticed that. I'm guessings it's the tape on the back of the trim that causes the issue. I notice it when there's no music playing and when I'm alone in the car. I think about trying to take that off and reapply tape (if that is how it is) but I forget about it once I'm out of the car.

And yes. I agree about different cars having different issues. In my car, this is the only rattle/noise present at the moment. No other unnecessary sounds. I had the centre speaker grill vibrating when I played bass heavy music but that was fixed using like half a centimeter of felt tape.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 03:04 AM   #6
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
I got mine new.

And yes. I've noticed that. I'm guessings it's the tape on the back of the trim that causes the issue. I notice it when there's no music playing and when I'm alone in the car. I think about trying to take that off and reapply tape (if that is how it is) but I forget about it once I'm out of the car.

And yes. I agree about different cars having different issues. In my car, this is the only rattle/noise present at the moment. No other unnecessary sounds. I had the centre speaker grill vibrating when I played bass heavy music but that was fixed using like half a centimeter of felt tape.
Did u do the center speaker grill removal urself? I have to fix that same issue

Also do u not have the sunroof creaking that happens when driving over bumps or uneven surfaces ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 11:04 AM   #7
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did u do the center speaker grill removal urself? I have to fix that same issue

Also do u not have the sunroof creaking that happens when driving over bumps or uneven surfaces ?
Yes I did. I followed the steps in the thread posted here. Surprisingly easier than I expected it to be. All you need is a credit card or something thin (trim removal tools work too since the dash is kinda soft but I used a card to lift the speaker grill trim a bit before using tools).
And then like 1 cm of felt tape is all you need to cover the clips and put it back on.

And luckily no. No sunroof or other creaks or rattles. It's actually shockingly silent! Almost at 50k miles too.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0