M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Progressive Claims For An Accident

05-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Progressive Claims For An Accident

Curious as to other brethren out there with Progressive in regards to handling a repair claim due to an accident. A quick back story is the wife rear-ended a car at an intersection as yep she wasn't paying attention. She was slowing down as a red light but when the car in front of the lane she was in started moving she thought the light had turned green. Nope he was closing the distance on the car in front of him so boom.

Technically a 3 car accident with the initial Hyundai Sonata hit chain reacting into the Hyundai Palisade in front of it (a nudge so little damage). The wife is at fault, cited and going through online drivers Ed to erase it points wise from her license.

Back to the subject. The Progressive claims rep is stating they will only pay out what their adjuster dictates. Pretty sure that is towing the company line vs reality. History being for a glass claim they tried the same but Penske collision told them BMW OEM only (HUD, sensors, etc.) so Progressive coughed up the $1900 to replace.

Only Penske will touch the X5 for repairs. Hood needs replacing, maybe a bumper and definitely one if not two PDC, etc. sensors. Looks like the ACC camera is untouched but haven't tried engaging it. Either way it's my way or the highway for Progressive.

Love the rates on the X5 (going up &#128540 and the M850i but nickel and dime me on a legitimate claim to get the X5 repaired to spec via experts vs their BS adjusters estimate and I'll leave them in the dust. I'd just pay out of pocket for the X5 as trivial but want them to handle the two Hyundais involved. Could pay for all 3 but that defeats the purpose of auto insurance in the first place. 👍
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:52 AM   #2
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

bloozemanAZ these annoying things happen - hope it gets sorted quickly!

Interestingly, you mention your wife having to go on a course to avoid points - has she been charged with something like driving without due care and attention? (Or similar US offence to that as I’m in the UK). Most cases like that in the UK would just be a straightforward civil matter, and if liability is admitted then the police wouldn’t even be involved (unless of course suspected drink / drug driving etc).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 06:50 AM   #3
Narco1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 comp 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post

Interestingly, you mention your wife having to go on a course to avoid points - has she been charged with something like driving without due care and attention? (Or similar US offence to that as I’m in the UK). Most cases like that in the UK would just be a straightforward civil matter, and if liability is admitted then the police wouldn’t even be involved (unless of course suspected drink / drug driving etc).
Unfortunately people here do lie and some do it very well. So any accident as described above needs to be investigated. The operator was issued a traffic summons, which depending on what it is, will put points on your license. Points can raise your insurance premiums.

Insurance companies don’t like to see points on a license especially points that resulted in a three car accident. So the course will help eliminate these points and possibly keep your insurance premiums the same or less of an increase.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Insurance is a contract. They have to pay what your contract with them says they will pay, and I'm quite sure it does not say "whatever our adjuster says." Minus any deductible, they have to pay to repair all the cars involved. The two places where they can and will try to ding you (because the contract probably provides for it) is hourly labor rates for body shops and using aftermarket or even used parts. They may balk at paying the hourly shop rate of your chosen shop if the going rate at most areas shops is several dollars an hour less. But since most body shops do crap work, I'll gladly pay a hundred or two out of my own pocket for that difference. Second, they may insist on aftermarket or even used parts "of like kind and quality." You won your windshield case because somebody said it was not like kind or quality.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 09:22 AM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post

Not how it works here in the US as for all traffic accidents of any significance involves the police and a police report citing the at fault driver(s). Super minor fender benders just require swapping contact and insurance information.

There are civil and criminal traffic violations with my wife's being civil. It put her at fault with in essence a citation for following too close. 98% of the time in a rear end collision the fault lies with the driver who hits the other in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 09:27 AM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Insurance is a contract. They have to pay what your contract with them says they will pay, and I'm quite sure it does not say "whatever our adjuster says." Minus any deductible, they have to pay to repair all the cars involved. The two places where they can and will try to ding you (because the contract probably provides for it) is hourly labor rates for body shops and using aftermarket or even used parts. They may balk at paying the hourly shop rate of your chosen shop if the going rate at most areas shops is several dollars an hour less. But since most body shops do crap work, I'll gladly pay a hundred or two out of my own pocket for that difference. Second, they may insist on aftermarket or even used parts "of like kind and quality." You won your windshield case because somebody said it was not like kind or quality.
Agreed, i.e., to the contract aspects and will read the fine print as I wait to hear back from the claims agent after I upload the Penske estimate. Also, right with you on the likelihood of labor rates and paying out of pocket for the differential to ensure a quality outcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 03:13 PM   #7
sullic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 911 Turbo, 2024 BMW M8 GC

I'm a progressive customer and a deer jumped out in front of my MB C63S. Luckily I was going very slow so I presumed the damage to be expensive, but not crazy. I took my car to the shop that my local dealership uses versus the ones that Progressive offered up. My car has lots of Carbon Fiber, so the price was quite large. At no point did I get any push back about using my preferred auto repair shop and they paid in full with MB parts. My experience was fantastic. This may just be the person you are working with at progressive. You might want to work with a manger to see if that helps.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 03:20 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Update as I took the X5 to Penske Collision this morning for the repair estimate and received it this afternoon via email. $3100 in parts including a bumper, hood, PDC sensors, paint, etc. Interesting that the hood emblem is ~$50. Labor comes in at $4K so plus tax ~$7400 out the door.

The labor rates aren't bad at all outside of the $217.50 for mechanical which at 5 hours clicks in at ~$1K. It's now going to get interesting with Progressive after I upload the estimate to the claim. 👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 03:30 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullic View Post
I'm a progressive customer and a deer jumped out in front of my MB C63S. Luckily I was going very slow so I presumed the damage to be expensive, but not crazy. I took my car to the shop that my local dealership uses versus the ones that Progressive offered up. My car has lots of Carbon Fiber, so the price was quite large. At no point did I get any push back about using my preferred auto repair shop and they paid in full with MB parts. My experience was fantastic. This may just be the person you are working with at progressive. You might want to work with a manger to see if that helps.
Thanks and I already sensed the claims rep was not happy given I initially pushed back. The reason being the claim transfered from the original rep assigned to rep #2. I had already been working with the original rep and explained that my wife was in her last week of school for the semester so between finals, grading, etc. she wouldn't be available until this Monday and I'd get the estimate this week. I also uploaded videos my wife took at the scene and additional pictures of the X5 damage from our driveway.

Rep #2 called me last Wednesday (went to vmail) and then texted me claiming she's been trying to get in contact with my wife, etc. I responded back asking if the claim had been transferred to her, explained the updates with the original rep on my wife's availability, plan for the X5 estimate at Penske, etc. But I also included that it's interesting you claim (no pun intended) to have tried contacting myself or my wife which is not true whatsoever as today's call and text messages was the first attempt.

Yeah I'm a stickler for details and my reply never got a reply from rep #2. 😜
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 03:28 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Not how it works here in the US as for all traffic accidents of any significance involves the police and a police report citing the at fault driver(s). Super minor fender benders just require swapping contact and insurance information.

There are civil and criminal traffic violations with my wife's being civil. It put her at fault with in essence a citation for following too close. 98% of the time in a rear end collision the fault lies with the driver who hits the other in the rear.
This is true under the law.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 03:30 PM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Thanks and I already sensed the claims rep was not happy given I initially pushed back. The reason being the claim transfered from the original rep assigned to rep #2. I had already been working with the original rep and explained that my wife was in her last week of school for the semester so between finals, grading, etc. she wouldn't be available until this Monday and I'd get the estimate this week. I also uploaded videos my wife took at the scene and additional pictures of the X5 damage from our driveway.

Rep #2 called me last Wednesday (went to vmail) and then texted me claiming she's been trying to get in contact with my wife, etc. I responded back asking if the claim had been transferred to her, explained the updates with the original rep on my wife's availability, plan for the X5 estimate at Penske, etc. But I also included that it's interesting you claim (no pun intended) to have tried contacting myself or my wife which is not true whatsoever as today's call and text messages was the first attempt.

Yeah I'm a stickler for details and my reply never got a reply from rep #2. 😜
Might try a local defense attorney that practices personal injury defense. If it helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Might try a local defense attorney that practices personal injury defense. If it helps.
If I need to I will as have 2 friends in that LOB for law along with others in IP, Estate, etc. Seriously doubt I will as it's pretty cut and dry based on the policy details.

Quote:
d. In determining the amount necessary to repair damaged property to its pre-
loss condition,theamounttobepaidby us:
(i) will not exceed the prevailing competitive labor rates charged in the area
wheretheproperty is toberepairedandthecostof repairor replacement
partsandequipment,as reasonably determinedby us;and
(ii) will be based on the cost of repair or replacement parts and equipment
which may be new, reconditioned, remanufactured or used, including,
but not limited to:
(a) original manufacturerpartsorequipment;and
(b) nonoriginal manufacturerpartsor equipment.
So worse case is I pay more than just the $500 deductible if they balk at Penske's labor rates but doubt it as prevailing in my area or the OEM parts but they include that and had no issues with the OEM glass repair with Penske.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Well things took an interesting turn yesterday. The X5 has been at Penske since July 6th but apparently the repair adjuster assigned was out on a 2 week vacation? Seriously how does that happen? Why not assign it to someone who is not on vacation? So I started getting phone calls last week from Penske (unable to get the Progressive adjuster to come view the vehicle) and Enterprise as we have a rental car from them that the "coupon" from Progressive expired.

I reached out to the Progressive overall claims agent assigned and ask just what the heck is going on? She said she could handle the rental car coupon aspect and also gave me the name and number for the repair adjuster. I also explained that I am frustrated as to how 3 weeks after drop off they can't get a repair adjuster to view the vehicle and discuss with Penske. Also, Penske sent additional videos/pictures to said repair adjuster 2 weeks ago. Called Penske and gave them his details and they were dumbfounded as they had a different name/contact provided by Progressive. WTF? But Penske is 100% solid so they said they would absolutely hound the repair adjuster until he shows up.

Well back to the interesting turn of events yesterday apparently the repair adjuster finally went to Penske yesterday. He called me in the afternoon and asked if it was a good time to talk. LOL as I've been waiting on your incompetency for weeks so I said "yes it is". He explained that the interior damage in the motor bay was extensive to the point the parts alone are $20K as I will only accept OEM which they cover. Due to that they are considering the X5 totalled. WOW and I was speechless (rare event).

Once after finally processing the info and taking a minute or two I started asking questions. What the repair adjuster stated made sense but he had no clue as to options, etc. on the X5 so he was going to have to work on the value. I told him it was a custom order and loaded to the gills minus the B&O option but had HK. He said he'd likely need to get regional management approval for the cash payout as it's going to be well over $20K.

Apologies for the rant and rave but I just needed a cathartic outlet with people who can understand. The X5 was long paid off and in pristine condition until the accident but now I'm in the market for a new X5 which is an unbelievable turn of events. Not a lot of X5s on the ground here in Phoenix I'd even consider but Arrowhead has a S-Drive Mineral White with Tartufo that is pretty loaded and my wife loves white hence now DOA X5 in mineral white. However, saw this one at BMW North Scottsdale today and on the absolute short list as X-drive plus all the bells and whistles one would want including a HUD, DAP, etc. Only missing the soft close doors (tied to the Executive package and this one has Premium).

BMW calls it Manhattan Green Metallic which may have some green in it out in the sunlight but otherwise it's pretty much a bronze/grey with Cognac interior for the win. My CA apparently was out on PTO this week but back on Monday. More to come as I drive my customer loyalty through the roof on getting the best deal possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 09:49 PM   #14
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Hey bloozemanAZ, that's the shits about your total. How many miles did you have?

I'm looking at a possible X3 to X5 upgrade. I built an M60 in Dravit just for fun. Went on the local dealer website and saw they had 1 M60, built almost exactly to what I came up with. Went down to look at it, but someone was out driving it. Went to the delivery bay and saw a shiny Manhattan Green X5 ready to go out the door. It was kinda bronzey, looked slightly green in direct sun. But wow....what a looker. I'd be totally fine with one. Great color.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 10:48 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Hey bloozemanAZ, that's the shits about your total. How many miles did you have?
72K for mileage but absolutely pristine (maintenance galore) including all new rubber in December 2022 that had about 3K at max at the time of the accident. The X5 was to be a keeper (10 years plus) vs Im on the waffle with the M850i for its longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
I'm looking at a possible X3 to X5 upgrade. I built an M60 in Dravit just for fun. Went on the local dealer website and saw they had 1 M60, built almost exactly to what I came up with. Went down to look at it, but someone was out driving it. Went to the delivery bay and saw a shiny Manhattan Green X5 ready to go out the door. It was kinda bronzey, looked slightly green in direct sun. But wow....what a looker. I'd be totally fine with one. Great color.
Thanks. The wife is seeing the Manhatten tomorrow and although my CA is still on vacation I'm driving it home for the full experience. Nobody will question that but if they do total failure as I'll pony up a watch worth more than the X5 until I bring it back. If my CA was in the house no issues whatsoever as he lets me take anything home for a weekend I'm potentially interested in. He gets it, i.e., I'm not a looky loo so when I ask he knows I'm 100% serious and a sale may be the outcome.
Appreciate 2
SFfanboy109.50
snowbimmer5335.00
      08-06-2023, 12:29 AM   #16
SFfanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC Comp

Garage List
Sorry to learn about your total loss. I just went through one that resulted from an red light runner on April 20th. How did your negotiations go with your carrier for your payout on your total loss? Or are you still going through it with them?
      08-06-2023, 09:30 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFfanboy View Post
Sorry to learn about your total loss. I just went through one that resulted from an red light runner on April 20th. How did your negotiations go with your carrier for your payout on your total loss? Or are you still going through it with them?
Guy said he wouldn't have any numbers until end of day Monday but most likely end of day Tuesday. So have to wait a few days and then either be upset and try to negotiate higher or just take the $ and run.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 09:42 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. The wife is seeing the Manhatten tomorrow and although my CA is still on vacation I'm driving it home for the full experience. Nobody will question that but if they do total failure as I'll pony up a watch worth more than the X5 until I bring it back. If my CA was in the house no issues whatsoever as he lets me take anything home for a weekend I'm potentially interested in. He gets it, i.e., I'm not a looky loo so when I ask he knows I'm 100% serious and a sale may be the outcome.
The wife liked the Manhattan and we just took it for the typical test drive with no hassles of drivers licenses, etc. as my CA's OOO reply was to ask for either sales manager on duty and provided the contact info. So simple conversation explaining the situation and he let me do whatever I wanted.

Boy do I hate iD8. Wife who's technology phobic (yeah irony of married to a guy who built his career in that world) hated it even more. What a complete shit show but I explained I can set it up with her profile to the best of her liking and then she can ignore the cluster fuck of what it is. Just needs the radio, and her choice of having the clock on the display (I set up her iD6 split screen for that as her desire). Totally doable with iD7 so hoping the abysmal iD8 can at least pull that off.

Irony is also now considering a X3 as current Gen isn't that much smaller than her 2017 X5 as that gen of X3 was and the interior sucked in comparison. Plus on the X3 is iD7 so know I can configure to her liking plus the hard buttons for climate control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 09:54 PM   #19
SFfanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC Comp

Garage List
From what I’ve been told and what I learned first hand, NEVER take their first offer. They likely have much more they are authorized to pay but are instructed to give as Lottie as possible. I’m sure there’s acceptions to that rule, but not many. They say when you get to your 4th settlement offer is when you start to get close to what they’ll pay you for your car.

In my case, my M8 was totaled due to red light runner. Adjuster offered me $100k based on crap comps (lowest value cars that didn’t match my pre-crash condition). After 4 rounds of offer and counter offer, I settled at about $124k. And I probably could have gotten more but thought it was fair and needed to wrap it up.

If you want any advice, feel free to ask. I’d offer up my counter offer letters if you wanted to read them for ideas on how you can negotiate. I’m far from knowing it all, but none the less offer my advice if you think it’s helpful.

Good luck either way. Total loss payouts are a pain but there is also opportunity in the process.
      08-06-2023, 09:57 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFfanboy View Post
From what I’ve been told and what I learned first hand, NEVER take their first offer. They likely have much more they are authorized to pay but are instructed to give as Lottie as possible. I’m sure there’s acceptions to that rule, but not many. They say when you get to your 4th settlement offer is when you start to get close to what they’ll pay you for your car.

In my case, my M8 was totaled due to red light runner. Adjuster offered me $100k based on crap comps (lowest value cars that didn’t match my pre-crash condition). After 4 rounds of offer and counter offer, I settled at about $124k. And I probably could have gotten more but thought it was fair and needed to wrap it up.

If you want any advice, feel free to ask. I’d offer up my counter offer letters if you wanted to read them for ideas on how you can negotiate. I’m far from knowing it all, but none the less offer my advice if you think it’s helpful.

Good luck either way. Total loss payouts are a pain but there is also opportunity in the process.
Thank you so much and I may need help on the counter offer letters, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:39 PM   #21
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Irony is also now considering a X3 as current Gen isn't that much smaller than her 2017 X5 as that gen of X3 was and the interior sucked in comparison. Plus on the X3 is iD7 so know I can configure to her liking plus the hard buttons for climate control, etc.
Maybe leftover 2023 X5? iD7 + discount?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:51 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Maybe leftover 2023 X5? iD7 + discount?
Looked but would have to go out of state as although one dealer has a few which could be contenders they are selling them labeled as "new" but every single one has 3K plus miles on them. Guessing loaners.
Appreciate 0