Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK UK - Classifieds Diesel engines - Time required to properly warm up?

02-14-2023, 06:15 AM   #1
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Diesel engines - Time required to properly warm up?

Hello all,

Been reading these forums for quite some time, great forum!.

I'm looking to trade in my old trusty daily driver (2014 2.0 TDI Skoda Octavia Elegance). I'm a bit of a fan of diesels due to their great efficiency and torque compared to petrol engines, though the rattle noise of that VW 4 pot diesel, is a bit annoying for sure.

I'm looking at buying a used 2019 or 2020 car either a 320d, or a silky smooth 330d, but here is my issue / question. Since the start of 2020, my annual mileage has dropped quite a lot, I'm now doing sub 6k a year as I rarely use the car at the weekends, and my daily Mon - Fri commute is only a 15 to 20 minute drive each way of mixed urban and A roads.

I've never had any issues with the DPF in my Octavia getting choked up and not completing DPF cleaning though, so maybe I'd be OK.

Can anybody advise how long it takes for a modern G20/ G21 diesel engine to properly heat up?, and therefore, for carbon deposits to start being burned off....

I'd consider a 330i or a 320i, but I have to drive in pretty bad snow at times, so I'd want an xdrive model, and neither of the petrol cars seem to be available with xdrive, not in the UK anyway. If fact I've read that the 330d and 330i and now not available to order new at all in the UK as of April this year :-/

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:54 AM   #2
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

First post here, and I posted in the wrong section of the forum!! Ooops!! Sorry mods, can you delete this thread please. I've reposted it in the correct section.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:51 AM   #3
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

I'll answer here while the post is not moved.

A good set of winter tyres is much more important than 4WD when it comes to snow. For the amounts of snow we get in the UK I think you'll be just fine on winter tyres.

This is to say, don't rule out petrol models just because they're not 4wd. When you think of it, majority of cars in snowy countries are not 4wd and they cope just fine.
Appreciate 0