12-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
"Hands-On" with the XM

Self-proclaimed car enthusiast with a sweet spot for BMWs. Took a friend with me, and her knowledge of cars is limited to "I rented a Santa Fe with the 8 cylinder engine and it was so smooth on the highway doing 90".

This was a "preview", so much so the laser engraved roundels on the back were still covered with black tape. Also was probably the most BORING spec for this car, Dravit with Black interior. It did have a VIN etched in the engine bay though, but since production started just last week, it's most likely a pre-production car. I also was not allowed to start the car since it was in a mall, and obviously no test drive either. This was just a way to give my email to BMW marketing again while enjoying some mid hot chocolate (foreshadowing) and take photos in and out. I am also not a great photographer; but this car will be on display again next weekend so let me know if there's any certain angles anyone wants.

The Good
- I dig the looks. I think it looks great, and with the 23" wheels too. I'd spring for a less boring color; I understand Dravit looks great under the sun, but when the sun isn't directly hitting it it looks like a dark primer gray.
- iDrive 8 is beautiful as usual
- Seats are comfy. Like, really comfy. The rear bench especially was nice
- The black chrome steering wheel trim was hot
- I liked the way the doors blend into the rear seats, very Maybach/Rolls Royce-esque
- The car really looks cohesive in person. I've personally not liked BMW release photos since the G11 7er facelift after seeing the photos versus seeing it in person, so I'll attribute this to that again after seeing the car in person
- The 23" wheels are gorgeous.
- Door handles have the trapezoidal shapes as an inlay, which looks great

The Bad
- Manual charging port. Funny complaint to some maybe, but after seeing the e-tron, having a push-to-swing charge door on a $150k car is I think not acceptable. Let me know if this is a "pre-production car" thing.
- The interior felt cheap. This is coming from someone who 10 minutes before getting in this car was in a G20; the leather felt fake (it might be the Veganza thing. not sure), the alcantara roof with the "soffit" for ambient lighting feels cheap, no door "handles" in a typical fashion (I have a similar complaint with the current C-class too, so this might just be me)
- My friend commented "it feels cheap, maybe in an effort to promote efficiency since it's a hybrid car. It feels like they could add a lot more metal to the doors though" - this I personally disagree with knowing how much materials have progressed. Though it does not feel "solid" in the same way a clean E39 M5 does
- She also mentioned a "lack of high quality materials in some areas even though high quality finishes are present"
- The use of satin chrome trim in the interior feels almost excessive
- The roof "soffit" and "3D sculptural headliner is a total meme that cheapens the car's feel
- IND needs to make the painted front reflector ASAP. It looks even more like an eyesore the way it's placed on the XM
- Overall, the "M Lounge" is a total marketing joke.

Keep in mind, this was just a hands-on 20-30 mins with the car. I would expect my thoughts to change after I drive one knowing how well BMW can make good driving cars. But, after sitting with the car, learning it starts at $159,000, me and my friend had the same thought: just like the hot chocolate they served, the car was very "mid".

I had the opportunity to play with the new 740i on Saturday, and the XM did not blow my mind like that car did. I wish they'd taken some of what they've done on the 7er and applied it here. Without having driven it, I would spring for a RSQ8/X5M/Cayenne Turbo, but I'm still hopeful the "M Hybrid" and less boring colors would make the case for this car.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Exterior Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 06:53 PM   #3
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Interior Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      12-05-2022, 02:44 AM   #4
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
I must agree BMW should have brought a better spec'd car than this in order to sell it. This just looks plain dull.
I also expected the B&W covers to be look a bit more sexier like on the regular X5,6,7 as opposed to plain black and round speaker covers in the middle.

I generally like this car and I think it has so much more potential
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      12-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
mikerx5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06, 2022 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I must agree BMW should have brought a better spec'd car than this in order to sell it. This just looks plain dull.
I also expected the B&W covers to be look a bit more sexier like on the regular X5,6,7 as opposed to plain black and round speaker covers in the middle.

I generally like this car and I think it has so much more potential
Agree - but I do like the shadow ljne very much
Appreciate 1
HMN358.50
      01-03-2023, 10:32 AM   #6
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

I hate the look of this darn steering wheel. Same as on the x5m and x6m.

I wish they used the new 7 series steering wheel here as it looks sexy and sporty
Appreciate 0