BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Does key fob records Check Engine and other warning lights?

08-02-2022, 07:14 PM   #1
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Does key fob records Check Engine and other warning lights?

I have a 2018 540d xdrive that my spouse has taken to New England to visit family. In the second week of her visit an orange warning light appeared that, per the owner's manual, translates to a problem with catalytic converter. The warning light also indicates that the car should be driven at reduced speed and serviced.

She was able to get the car into a BMW dealer for service this AM, but tells me that the orange light did not appear on her trip to the shop. She was warned that despite the car's CPO warranty and BMW extended warranty on the vehicle's pollution controls, that she might have to pay ($205) for the check up in the event that they find no problems

I guess the point of my preamble is to ask if warning lights are recorded in the car's diagnostic system and key fob. I'd prefer that the car is repaired rather than being charged by the dealer for a "false" alarm.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 01:17 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

No, the remote fob does NOT record CEL (OBD II aka check engine data)…nor other “warning lights. It does keep mileage (odometer) & VIN data…as well as CBS (condition based service) info, though.

But the car does keep fault code data. The CEL (OBD II) system is a federal requirement for recording EMISSIONS SYSTEM data which has been mandated since 1996. The car also keeps manufacturer fault codes that are above & beyond the OBD II emissions mandate. This info can be retrieved through the diagnostic port connector.

You can see info below in regards to the DDE (digital diesel electronics) system and its communication bus.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-03-2022 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      08-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #3
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Thanks very much for your comprehensive response. Since the warning light appeared more than once while driving the car, it seems likely that the fault code has been recorded in the vehicle's OBD system.

Your reply demonstrates the value of owner's forums. In many cases, their collective knowledge exceeds that of dealers' service writers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Fingers are crossed that your issue is minor and easily diagnosed & remedied...

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 05:03 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
It is unclear where the line is drawn exactly. But either the key stores the data or the dealer accesses the BMW telematics data. The SA said the key, but take that with a grain of salt.

My last visit I was able to see the sheet the SA printed out from my key read. It included stored fault codes.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      08-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
It is unclear where the line is drawn exactly. But either the key stores the data or the dealer accesses the BMW telematics data. The SA said the key, but take that with a grain of salt.

My last visit I was able to see the sheet the SA printed out from my key read. It included stored fault codes.
Your experience sounds correct based on the info I found below about the BMW key reader. It appears to retrieve SIA 3 data...which is BMW/CBS data and probably BMW mfg fault codes. Which would be different from OBD II data (which refers to the check engine light).
BMW Key Reader

Once the vehicle key is placed into the KeyReader pad, the binary key data (from SIA 3) is interpreted in the background of the application and the corresponding vehicle is loaded into the application with the interpreted data.
How to use

Place the vehicle key into the KeyReader and wait for confirmation of the KeyReader in the form of a beep. Once the "Read" button has been activated, the"Service data (vehicle key data)" page is displayed.

In the service consultation core process, the user can then proceed with compiling the necessary service tasks (menu items service data, technical campaigns, order base). For the user to be able to read a key in ISPA Light, you must have connected a KeyReader to the computer and the associated software must have been installed (can be seen from the green square in the bottom right beside the small icons adjacent to the time in the Windows task bar). The user then inserts the key to be read into the KeyReader, waits for confirmation of the KeyReader in the form of a sound signal and clicks on the "Read" button.
  • Specifications
    • It Could Identify 17 Digit Code For All New Car Types: Chassis/Kilometer Data
  • Description:
    • It Could Issue The Service List Soon Since It Has KSD Man-Hour System & ETK Parts Software.
  • Character
    1. Standard Maintenance Reception, Solve The Problem Of Non Normal Maintenance.
    2. Easy & Quick, Maintenance Man Needn\'t Go In The Car To Check. He Could Spend More Time To Talk To Customers Which Would Increase Customers\' Satisfactory Degree.
    3. Increase The Reputation In Customers.
    4. Several Languages Are Available.

Appreciate 1