home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums AUSTRALIA

03-20-2022, 05:27 AM   #1
RonBurgundy
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: -

Has anyone removed front number plate and mount?

Wondering if anyone who has taken delivery of their car in oz has removed the front number plate and mount?

I’m thinking about doing this when my M4 Comp arrives, accepting that there may be a chance of getting pulled over. Looking at the number plate mount at the dealer, it appears to be integrated into the grill. Is this correct? At the same time there are many photos of cars online without front number plates/mounts which I think gives a much cleaner look to the front end and kidney grills.

Trying to figure out how this is achieved

BMW M4C G82 RWD (awaiting)/Mini JCW Convertible (2021-)/Mazda MX5 (ND) RF (2020-21)/BMW M2 F87 LCI (2017-21)/RenaultSport Megane RS265 (2015-16)/BMW 135i Coupe E82 (2011-15)/VW Golf GTI Mk5 (2008-11)/VW Golf 2.0 Mk4 (2003-08)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 06:48 AM   #2
WATCHMY6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

I live in NY and we never put the plate on the front. I have and X6M since 2017 and only gotten 1 ticket for front plate and it was when I got a speeding ticket also… my wife has a G80 and I now have a G82 and we have not gotten a ticket on either of these cars… don't cover that beautiful front end with that ugly plate
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Wondering if anyone who has taken delivery of their car in oz has removed the front number plate and mount?

I’m thinking about doing this when my M4 Comp arrives, accepting that there may be a chance of getting pulled over. Looking at the number plate mount at the dealer, it appears to be integrated into the grill. Is this correct? At the same time there are many photos of cars online without front number plates/mounts which I think gives a much cleaner look to the front end and kidney grills.

Trying to figure out how this is achieved
Pretty sure you will be pulled over and ticketed here in Sydney, so no plate is not an option. You can make it looked a bit better however.

For me I remove the plastic frame that used to mount the plate, and then customised some bracket to mount the plate directly onto the car. Much better and cleaner look. I picked the european plate so the front one is the smallest size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 11:46 PM   #4
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMnut View Post
Pretty sure you will be pulled over and ticketed here in Sydney, so no plate is not an option. You can make it looked a bit better however.

For me I remove the plastic frame that used to mount the plate, and then customised some bracket to mount the plate directly onto the car. Much better and cleaner look. I picked the european plate so the front one is the smallest size.
That looks good MMnut, would you able to share more details as to how you achieved that solution?

Once my car arrives I will also be needing to mount a slimline NSW plate on the front. Lakin plates made a metal front plate bracket for the G80 but have since closed down unfortunately. So I was thinking whether some simple rubber or plastic spacers/standoffs would work
      03-21-2022, 02:12 AM   #5
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

not much anyway. You can find anything in Bunning. For me, plenty stuffs around the shed.

Just find some plastic / metal bar, whatever you can find, just about half size of the plate in height, and a bit shorter in in lenght and paint it if needed. then mount this to the car mounting holes (which are used to mount the factory plastic holder).

Then you can mount the plate on that bar.

So effectively, the mounting bar get hidden behind the number plate.
Appreciate 0