M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion B&W settings

01-21-2020, 01:10 AM   #1
Slayerkillhate
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M8

B&W settings

Hello, anyone have good B&W overall settings for 8er? (Mode/eq) I personally try to set it for hiphop/electric and with regular settings of high and bass it seems to lack of some fat in sound. I personally try studio/bass 8/treb 5-6 and little more in eq to bass freqs, but still lack of fat in sound, in low volume sound even more poor
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Skh I had a set of issues going on which impacted my B&W see my post

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1671087
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      01-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerkillhate View Post
Hello, anyone have good B&W overall settings for 8er? (Mode/eq) I personally try to set it for hiphop/electric and with regular settings of high and bass it seems to lack of some fat in sound. I personally try studio/bass 8/treb 5-6 and little more in eq to bass freqs, but still lack of fat in sound, in low volume sound even more poor
With your bass settings turned that high you definitely should be getting quite a bit of low range. I was in an 840i that had the H&K system and even that had pretty good bass response. What source material are you using? Try going into the eq and turning the first parameter (100hz) all the way up. The next one go about 4 clicks above flat. Basically, you want what's referred to as the "disco smile" if you're listening hip hop etc.

The B&W in my 750 thumps like crazy and has commendable low frequency response, down to at least 50hz for sure. There's no reason yours shouldn't sound at least as good, as your smaller cabin would be easier to fill with rich bass.
Attached Images

01-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
like others, I had to take my back to the dealership for a free software update that helped fix everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Skh I had a set of issues going on which impacted my B&W see my post

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1671087
Still on my list to do but so far have been happy with the B&W as-is with the FLAC sources I'm pumping through it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Source is king from my experience so far with that coming from FLAC high resolution being spot on. It is also worth mentioning in the 8 series unlike the H&K which has two subwoofers the B&W is built all around midrange drivers for the tightest bass response. I personally was trying to find the source of the bass in the car but could not pinpoint it so I discovered the all midrange via newtis.info (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...speaker-cover/).

I have my B&W system dialed in for the mostly classic/hard rock and jazz of my FLAC source (1TB USBC SSD drive in the console). However, when I streamed Tones and I "Dance Monkey" via Amazon Music Plus Ultra HD (decent source) the low-end was impressive with the all midrange configuration. Core Hip Hop on the other hand is centered around a low bass response that midrange drivers will struggle to emulate as their focus is tight bass and the midrange of the audio spectrum.

I've owned several B&W home audio speakers in the past and large drivers (aka subwoofers) are not their play whatsoever. Considering the lack of detail as to truly what goes into a B&W system within the 8 series I am going to draw a few parallels in my theory. 1st given the Diamond tweeter branding it has some components from the 800 series. Also, given the newtis.info documentation I will assume it is an 8x2 (midrange plus tweeter) for a total count of 16 speakers which matches the published specs.

For the midrange drivers this is likely the Continuum bass/midrange included in their bookshelf 805 D3s and their 603's. Sizing is a guess but I'll assume 6.5 or 6" given the 805 or 603 configuration. If it is a true to form equivalent of the 805 D3s (aka Diamond branding) this means a low-end of 34Hz which would track to my experience to date. Not earth shattering lows but tight performance and gets the job done.

I have yet to pursue the software update and audio fix Ozzie8 (and Resjudicata) have done but will do so at my first scheduled maintenance. I'll once again assume that it effects the 3 crossovers driving the frequency dispersion across the midrange drivers and tweeters as a software update alone cannot enable lower end frequency response of the midrange drivers whatsoever as that is driven by the laws of physics.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-23-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:26 PM   #7
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
bloozemanAZ can you send photo of your equaliser settings - would appreciate. thanks for the interesting detail on the B&W did not appreciate the engineering and the material provided with the car is somewhat lacking. the interference in my car I believe was driven by the car engine active sound system, it was knocking out all sorts of reproduction from the B&W and it is my guess the software correction was to reset active sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
bloozemanAZ can you send photo of your equaliser settings - would appreciate. thanks for the interesting detail on the B&W did not appreciate the engineering and the material provided with the car is somewhat lacking. the interference in my car I believe was driven by the car engine active sound system, it was knocking out all sorts of reproduction from the B&W and it is my guess the software correction was to reset active sound.
Will get some photos of the configuration tomorrow before I head off on the morning commute to the office. One thing that struck me on the commute today is that the door midrange drivers are likely 4" and the center console and two in the rear behind the back seats are likely the 6.5" drivers.

This would in theory track to the 3 published crossovers in the BMW specs as one of the crossovers would drive all the lower-end frequencies to the center console and rear drivers. I can hear the bass in my driver seat coming from the front and hence the search that ended with the newtis.info and discovery on all midrange drivers in the car.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      01-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
That was an interesting observation and I can now get appreciate and feel the sub/bass coming from the front. That's helped me with some of the adjustments too, as I have been trying to get more sub kick but always feeling there was something I was missing as I could not feel it under the seats or behind. Dropping the middle settings on the equaliser as helped me get a better sub/base boost from the front. So thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Forgot to take the pics this morning as was running late so just shot them in the garage. One thing I forgot to mention earlier is I found the best overall sound profile (aka surround logic) to be Concert. Being a 2-channel audio guy I had originally utilized Studio.

In fact one of my only issues with the B&W is you cannot disengage the surround logic. In my wife's 2017 X5 with upgraded H&K (the stock system was miserable and I was not able to test out the B&O option prior to ordering) disengaging the surround logic provides the best sound possible. Not sure I would have invested the $4K for the B&O given it is her daily driver and I'm not in the driver seat very often but the $900 for the H&K is golden when I am.

Side note of one nice thing I'm appreciating with the M850i is that no matter what volume I have when I park the car at startup it is set to a lower reasonable setting. Guessing this is an iDrive 7 vs 6 feature as in my wife's X5 if we are going somewhere in it together I always drive and with my key recognized it fires up my last settings and volume of audio which blasts us both until I can turn it down. Thankfully she has gotten used to the experience.

That said this brings up another point already mentioned, i.e., with all midrange in the M850i the bass does not open up until you are at least 50% of max volume. Given that I'm the only person in the car this is not an issue and during the commute I'm there or higher as the sound is amazing. All depends on what I'm listening to but regardless it always puts a smile on my face and what better way to start off the day.

Lastly on the way home today I was listening to Ozzy's Boneyard on SiriusXM which is generally pretty good audio wise. Just thought it was apropos as I took the pics for Ozzie8 and you can see the station in them.
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-24-2020 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #11
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
thanks man
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #12
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
These are my settings - for those that like plenty of sub/bass - it works for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
These are my settings - for those that like plenty of sub/bass - it works for me.
That equalizer setting will definitely drive more bass but you're missing out of some of the midrange magic included in the source material. Caveat being I'm an audiophile snob (yes I admitted it ) being a professional musician in my past life.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:09 AM   #14
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I have the musical talents of a three toed sloth. Will tweak things your way.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
On the drive home Friday with Phil Collins' "I Don't Care Anymore" sourced from FLAC and the amazing low-end drum coming from the front console I realized there is more speakers in it than originally thought. I looked around the car and visible are: 2x2 center console (behind iDrive screen), 2x2 in the front doors, 2x2 in rear seats and 2x2 on the rear deck behind the seats. Add the visual up and that is 14 speakers. So where are the 2 missing speakers? I can only assume they are 6" if not 6.5" drivers in the front console but not visible. Granted at 6'6" I cannot even fit in the lack of rear seats to hear the sound spectrum from there but from the driver seat there is more bass at that source from my POV than the single 2x2 visible console speaker can deliver.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #16
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
From B&W - picture of 8 series coupe speaker layout
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
On the drive home Friday with Phil Collins' "I Don't Care Anymore" sourced from FLAC and the amazing low-end drum coming from the front console I realized there is more speakers in it than originally thought. I looked around the car and visible are: 2x2 center console (behind iDrive screen), 2x2 in the front doors, 2x2 in rear seats and 2x2 on the rear deck behind the seats. Add the visual up and that is 14 speakers. So where are the 2 missing speakers? I can only assume they are 6" if not 6.5" drivers in the front console but not visible. Granted at 6'6" I cannot even fit in the lack of rear seats to hear the sound spectrum from there but from the driver seat there is more bass at that source from my POV than the single 2x2 visible console speaker can deliver.
The additional two speakers are two subs, each under the front seats.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
The additional two speakers are two subs, each under the front seats.
Yes, Ozzie8's diagram clearly indicates that. B&W did a great job with the crossovers in the car as when sitting in the drivers seat the bass truly sounds to be coming from the front console and there is no low-end rumbling coming from under the seats.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I agree - very surprised there was anything under the front seats.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #20
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

Quote:
Yes, Ozzie8's diagram clearly indicates that. B&W did a great job with the crossovers in the car as when sitting in the drivers seat the bass truly sounds to be coming from the front console and there is no low-end rumbling coming from under the seats.
I ordered the B&W on my m850 GC, really looking forward to trying your's and Ozzie suggestions when my car arrives! its gonna be along wait.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #21
Wristdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C, 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
After reading your posts I attempted to download some songs in the AIFF format however they did not appear when looking for the files on the iDrive 7. I am going to try again in the FLAC format...do you just load them off of a USB or have them on the USB drive? I am hoping the FLAC files will appear...appreciate any advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:31 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
I ordered the B&W on my m850 GC, really looking forward to trying your's and Ozzie suggestions when my car arrives! its gonna be along wait.
Yes, it will seemingly ever to take for its arrival but you will love it when it lands. Enjoy the drive!
Appreciate 0