THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MPE installation

06-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
NewM235Owner
Rep
Drives: M235

MPE installation

This is not rocket science but in case it helps anyone, or gives someone courage to do this, it was not a big deal. My local place wanted about $300 to do this and basically it involves one cut, and a little time. I'm always looking for opportunities where I can teach my sons not to be afraid to go at a project, so this was a good one. I bought the MPE from Brian Keller at sunmotorcars for appx. $800 delivered.

The first thing I realized is that it is tight where you are going to make the cut, so I wasn't comfortable using a reciprocating saw, like a sawzall or a jigsaw. It might have worked, I just didn't have the right length metal blade for the jigsaw and the sawzall I really wasn't comfortable with it given the limited space.

If I had a lift I might have tried it, but with wheel ramps there really isn't a lot of maneuvering room. So I bought one of these for $35 from Amazon delivered the next day. I highly recommend it. (And you can buy mine for $20 if you want it, its been used once)

Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 12 30 12 PM.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  370.9 KB

First I supported the muffler to take the tension off the hangar brackets.
Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 11 17 54 AM.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  135.6 KB

Lubricant and channel pliers come in handy. Spray around the rubber hanger.
Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 11 17 44 AM.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  535.0 KB

Name:  tn_Photo Jun 24, 1 30 07 PM.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  156.0 KB

I used the channel pliers to get the rubber hangar over the knob, and then put my left hand on the muffler and right hand on the hangar and just pushed/pulled for a few seconds and separated them. Then I did the same thing on the other side. Pretty quick.

I also unplugged the electronics.

Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 11 18 39 AM.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  139.0 KB

The measuring was a little frustrating because of the turns of the pipe, but eventually I just used a piece of blue tape to measure the new pipe length and then transferred that to the existing pipe.
Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 11 16 39 AM.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  191.1 KB
Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 11 15 24 AM.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  180.9 KB

I used the pipe cutter to cut it - it worked pretty well, but it cut certain portions through before other portions, and I had to finish the last little bit with a hacksaw, but it just took about 10 minutes overall. I used a half-round metal file to clean up the interior of the pipe and a shop vac to suck the filings out of the pipe. Then I put the clamp on the pipe and we mounted the new muffler in the hangers and attached the plug.

Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 2 29 45 PM.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  266.3 KB

Then we adjusted the tailpipes exactly where we wanted them within the slots, this took a little maneuvering and messing around, and you tighten the clamp a little, then make sure they are where you want them, then tighten a little more, etc. and then wheneverything is right where you want it you crank it down.
Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 2 41 54 PM.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  155.8 KB

I used a rubber mallet to hammer my old black tips on the tailpipes
Name:  tn_Photo Jun 25, 11 23 47 AM.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  116.7 KB

And I like the new sound.
Appreciate 5
BMWZ41912.50
koston37.00
aozer994.50