M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Well this is weird "Service Due" message

12-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #1
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Well this is weird "Service Due" message

Hey all,
Happy New Year, - hope you enjoy a great night!

So my '22 M850 Convertible is telling me that service is due. But the service is it requiring is "Emissions Test".

This is not something the BMW dealer does, - it is the state of Colorado. However, the state of CO does not require an emissions test on a model year 22 car.

Again, this "Service Due" message is coming from the car (as well as the MyBMW app which is getting this information from the vehicle).

My BMW dealer has twice tried to cancel my service appointment, saying they don't do Emissions Testing. And twice I've had to tell them there has to be a reason that the car is giving me this service due message that has nothing to do with an actual emissions test.

Anyone else encountered this anomaly? I'm thinking it could be a bad O2 sensor or something like that...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Hey all,
Happy New Year, - hope you enjoy a great night!

So my '22 M850 Convertible is telling me that service is due. But the service is it requiring is "Emissions Test".

This is not something the BMW dealer does, - it is the state of Colorado. However, the state of CO does not require an emissions test on a model year 22 car.

Again, this "Service Due" message is coming from the car (as well as the MyBMW app which is getting this information from the vehicle).

My BMW dealer has twice tried to cancel my service appointment, saying they don't do Emissions Testing. And twice I've had to tell them there has to be a reason that the car is giving me this service due message that has nothing to do with an actual emissions test.

Anyone else encountered this anomaly? I'm thinking it could be a bad O2 sensor or something like that...
I’m in MI and we don’t have it either but I got the car from Texas. I was able to set it to 2062.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      12-30-2023, 01:30 PM   #3
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Interesting...I do not have 'Emission inspection' line after 'Vehicle inspection'
Probably because my M8 is green
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      12-30-2023, 10:46 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You may want to pull out the paperback version of the owners manual…or do a keyword search using the digital owners manual that is embedded in iDrive.

On older BMWs…the Services that have the little squiggly lines next to the icon indicates that these are STATUTORY INSPECTIONS that are required by the state or local municipalities. These ARE NOT BMW inspections.

The statutory inspections can easily be reset by the owner highlighting the inspection on the iDrive screen…then pressing down on the iDrive controller knob. If your state or local governing bodies do not require emissions and/or vehicle inspections…then you can set the date to far in the future so that you’ll never have that service come due. If the inspection is required by law or statutes in your state/county/city…then you need to have that service done by whoever is authorized in your jurisdiction. Once you’ve passed the inspection, then you can manually update the info to when the next service is due.

You can see AD’s example where he changed the next service date to 2062…and the other examples below are from earlier versions of iDrive…again, the statutory inspections can easily be set by selecting the inspection and pressing down on the iDrive controller knob to initiate making changes.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
      12-30-2023, 10:52 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Even more interesting as here in AZ we have emissions requirements but never have had iD7 nor the MyBMW app call that out. One gets a pass on a new vehicle for 2 years but had to do OBD port emissions (plus what they stuck as a sensor in the gas cap) last year. Just paid up for 2 years of registration as no emissions required this year and 2 years paid in full means I get to skip next year. Somewhat of a racket if one thinks about it. 🤔

No worries though as in late 2024 or early 2025 I'm moving on to my next fire breathing V8. The list is getting shorter and now have a flat 6 in the game.

This is glorious but need to get past the nose bleed pricing. 😜

https://youtu.be/DZAdVY9kKbc?si=63rw5PPHYQ_IaTr1
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2024, 11:56 AM   #6
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Thanks to all who replied....man I feel kinda dumb. I never thought to look under the scheduled maintenance section of iDrive but sure enough, the "Emissions Testing Requirement" date setting was in there and easy enough to change.
Appreciate 1
__AD__252.50
      01-01-2024, 08:52 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to sort things out. Also, there’s others that may buy a vehicle from an area that has statutory inspections…that aren’t required where they live…and this thread could help them understand how to deal with the warning when it appears.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4125.00