M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i delivery date pushed back one month

03-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 M50d (F16), i3 REx, M850i (

M850i delivery date pushed back one month

Hi, I ordered M850i in January, with a confirmed delivery date of end March. I've just heard it's been pushed back to 1st week of May. I was wondering if anyone one else has seen a delivery date move? I'm not really fussed, other than I can't wait to drive it in Europe and another month is agony.

I was interested to see if there was a over/under demand problem, re-tooling, supply issues, or whatever. The dealer has no info to share.

Anyhow, I've never been so excited to take delivery, any will post any useful info when I'm finally in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burt View Post
Hi, I ordered M850i in January, with a confirmed delivery date of end March. I've just heard it's been pushed back to 1st week of May. I was wondering if anyone one else has seen a delivery date move? I'm not really fussed, other than I can't wait to drive it in Europe and another month is agony.

I was interested to see if there was a over/under demand problem, re-tooling, supply issues, or whatever. The dealer has no info to share.

Anyhow, I've never been so excited to take delivery, any will post any useful info when I'm finally in it.
I have not heard any. My unit is starting production in Week 10 and I have confirmed euro delivery on mar 18. I sure hope this doesn't get pushed back as I scheduled my business trip and pickup already.

Did you order any individual pick?? I have Fiona Red Full which is individual.
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I collected in UK my 840d in the middle of Jan and it was originally due late Nov. However, mine was built early Nov and arrived in UK in Nov, but delayed due to idrive 7 software.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptpa View Post
Quote:

I have not heard any. My unit is starting production in Week 10 and I have confirmed euro delivery on mar 18. I sure hope this doesn't get pushed back as I scheduled my business trip and pickup already.

Did you order any individual pick?? I have Fiona Red Full which is individual.
Hi, thanks for the response. The only Individual items I ordered were;

Upholstery    VAHX   BMW Individual extended leather trim
Option        4ML    Piano Black - BMW Ind.
Option        7M9    BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line

I did get another delivery date from the dealer last night, which brought delivery forward by a week. I've transacted 5 new BMWs over the years, and never had dates move like this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. It's just interesting to see dates move so long after the order was placed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Co View Post
I collected in UK my 840d in the middle of Jan and it was originally due late Nov. However, mine was built early Nov and arrived in UK in Nov, but delayed due to idrive 7 software.
That must have been frustrating. I bet you were driven mad knowing it was just sitting somewhere waiting for you for 2 months. I wonder if the factory has been debugging some additional components, hence the date changes?

You must be in one of the few 8 series on the road. Have you seen any others yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #6
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

It was not too bad as I had an X6 M50d and that was a great car. I'd seen on the X5 forums that lots of folks had idrive 7 problems, but I've not had anything. I've not seen any others about. The colour (Dravit Grey) is superb - all my other cars were metallic black, but this is really good. The interior is the red/black and also very nice. Autonomous driving on the open road and city is great, I just wish it stayed on longer! Performance seems really good and given the restrictions with traffic and limits more than enough and average of 41 mpg at the moment. However, I've not been in Germany yet and once you get to 130mph plus over there consumption falls rapidly. I was in my wife's JCW at the weekend and it is really surprising over a 120 mile round trip how the tank drops to nothing once you boot it and her average is normally 36 mpg. This is it: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1577540
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #7
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It was not too bad as I had an X6 M50d and that was a great car. I'd seen on the X5 forums that lots of folks had idrive 7 problems, but I've not had anything. I've not seen any others about. The colour (Dravit Grey) is superb - all my other cars were metallic black, but this is really good. The interior is the red/black and also very nice. Autonomous driving on the open road and city is great, I just wish it stayed on longer! Performance seems really good and given the restrictions with traffic and limits more than enough and average of 41 mpg at the moment. However, I've not been in Germany yet and once you get to 130mph plus over there consumption falls rapidly. I was in my wife's JCW at the weekend and it is really surprising over a 120 mile round trip how the tank drops to nothing once you boot it and her average is normally 36 mpg. This is it: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1577540
This is very coincidental... I'm also leaving my X6 M50d for a Dravit grey M850i....Separated at birth maybe? I'm really excited to be upgrading but I do know there will be times when I'll miss the space in the X6. But that's OK, I fell in love with the 8 series the moment I test drove it. For me the diesel thing has worn a little thin, and I'm looking forward to a big petrol V8. I'll check out your link when I'm at my desk.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I've got the laser lights, but I'm not sure I notice much over my X6's LED adaptive ones. The trouble is that there is too much traffic to ever need them on beam! They look smart static though. The heated arm rests are nice and the cooled seats as well. 4 wheel steering is very good and I notice this a lot. Auto reverse is very effective, if you need it. Build quality is very good, but it is not like an S Class in terms of the general feeling; it is mix luxury/sportiness and therefore in a class of its own. Boot is massive and pull both levers rapidly and they automatically fold flat. Wheels look a magnet to curbs so no chance for the slightest mistake, but the JCW's 18's are the same - very low profile. Leather is softer and better finish than the X6. Leather dash very nice. Auto hold comes on automatically and no need to engage when you start up, it remembers previous settings. Put your connected drive profile in asap. All 3 keys, normal, credit card one and massive one all work their functions. Normal is the best as you set it to open and close as you walk too and from the car. Credit card handy if you go running. The display key is big! BMW app on Galaxy 9 works well. Sometimes if you switch keys the functionality of the opening/closing as you approach does not work, until you've used the key when driving again. connected music only works if you pay for Deezer/Napster and is not free, it just means you can sign in direct into your car if you have one of their Premium accounts. Soft closes doors not needed much, I suspect that the weight of them helps close them. Alcantara is nice, even on sun flaps. Much quieter than the X6 as well. Watch the wipers, do not lift them until you have engaged them in the upright position. Boot kick-opening works well. Heating comes on very quickly, more so than the X6, which is very quick compared to the JCW. Rear seats for kids and bags, although I can get in if I set the drivers seat right up, but not comfortable for either for more than say 30mins (I'm 172). I thought that I would not use the touch screen, but when static it is the natural option, wheel on the move. Hey BMW is really good. Transferring music files via USB really very quick. Auto maps update very quick and download and car update via USB very easy. In The Netherlands it is a perfect cruising car. Here there is less traffic than UK, but still too many restrictions and traffic to use any of the performance, speed or handling. In Germany given a clear road you can get to an indicated 160 mph, but anything over 130 mph needs a lot of concentration and courage. In the UK you'll need the autonomous driving a lot more! Big brakes are great and much better than X6, look huge as well. It might be 4 wheel drive, but like the X6, but perhaps worse, without winter wheels and tyres it is dangerous when the roads have ice.

Last edited by Wing Co; 03-06-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 4
      03-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Here is your car, just posted on YT! The guy is Turkish not Dutch and speaks good English, the Dutch speak even better English than the British!

Last edited by Wing Co; 03-06-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix

Very nice post "Wing Co"......very informative and answered many of my buying decision questions. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Wing Co239.00
      03-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #11
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

This video review gets it spot on. Additionally to my earlier post. 1. The differential I do not notice this, perhaps I am not Chris Harris enough! Also, it must be the tyres and 4-wheel steering, when turning at slow speed on paving slabs or across shallow drains, you feel it crab a bit or maybe its something else, but at first I thought I'd clipped a wheel then I noticed it does it on all paving slabs at slow speed turning.

Last edited by Wing Co; 03-09-2019 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Not surprised to hear about a little "crabbing". The E63S does that as well. And I agree, I think this video summarizes the 8 series well. Even if (as he says) the DB11 feels a little better dynamically, the M850i will still smoke it at nearly half the price without sacrificing comfort.
Appreciate 2
Wing Co239.00
mptpa251.00
      03-17-2019, 03:10 AM   #13
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Joy. Production has started.
Ordered 20-Jan. Production notification 16-Mar. I'll post dates when vehicle is complete, shipped, delivered.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #14
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ordered 20-Jan. Production notification 16-Mar. I'll post dates when vehicle is complete, shipped, delivered.
Update: I was notified that the car was in the paint shop on 27 March, and then notified that production is complete today (29 March).

That's a 2 week process from the production start to end.
I ordered the car on 30th January, so 10 weeks from order to end of production.

I hope to take delivery in about 2 weeks.
Appreciate 2
Wing Co239.00
      04-13-2019, 04:30 AM   #15
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Update: I was notified that the car was in the paint shop on 27 March, and then notified that production is complete today (29 March).

That's a 2 week process from the production start to end.
I ordered the car on 30th January, so 10 weeks from order to end of production.

I hope to take delivery in about 2 weeks.
I now have a hand-over date of 17th April... although between the dealer and I we managed to miss adding the CAT5 tracker to the order which is mandatory for insurance This means I may not be able to take delivery on the 17th. But, I certainly will have it by the end of the week.

I've checked back, and the actual order date was 20th Jan, so almost exactly 3 months from contract signature to customer hand-over.

Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #16
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Something nice to look forward. I'm really pleased with the Dravit Grey and since it had the ceramic and water repellent coating it is so easy to clean. Remember don't get too frustrated with the OS 7 as I've found it all works faultlessly once you know what you are doing. Remember the crabbing of the wheels i spoke about as well, because at first you can think what the .... I think it is the 4-wheel drive, 4 - wheel steering, performance tyres and differential on certain surfaces where it is not flat and the tyre can slip in a gap (cobbles, etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #17
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Something nice to look forward. I'm really pleased with the Dravit Grey and since it had the ceramic and water repellent coating it is so easy to clean. Remember don't get too frustrated with the OS 7 as I've found it all works faultlessly once you know what you are doing. Remember the crabbing of the wheels i spoke about as well, because at first you can think what the .... I think it is the 4-wheel drive, 4 - wheel steering, performance tyres and differential on certain surfaces where it is not flat and the tyre can slip in a gap (cobbles, etc).
I'll take note of all of this advice. It's the first time I've driven a four-wheel steering vehicle. I loved the steering precision on the test drive, so can wait to get it this week, and run-in as quickly as possible. Let's compare notes next week. I'm going to do a farewell summary to my X6 on the F16 forum after I let it go and hope to be in the G15 by Wednesday. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #18
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

4-wheel steering is excellent and addresses an issue I found with the X6 and one that I have with my wife's JCW - lack of lock - Triumph Heralds they are not - whereas the 8 is as good as these Coventry Fletchamstead Highway classics.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:46 AM   #19
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Hi Guys,
As a current M50d owner I had the pleasure of having an 840d coupe loaner for 3 days from my dealership whilst my car was being serviced.
Lovely looking car and the diesel engine sounds so good in sport mode. My only issue is how low the car is when getting in an out. I'm quite tall with a tempremental back and the whole process of getting in and out began to wear on my back.
However I hasked the dealer to quote me on an M850 convertible but I suspect the good deals are not out there yet?
May leave it 12 months as I still love my M50d.
Hope you have many miles of happy driving in your new 8s
      04-15-2019, 03:44 AM   #20
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
4-wheel steering is excellent and addresses an issue I found with the X6 and one that I have with my wife's JCW - lack of lock - Triumph Heralds they are not - whereas the 8 is as good as these Coventry Fletchamstead Highway classics.
Or a MkIII "K-reg" Spitfire in my case. I seem to remember that it was the same chassis as a Herald.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #21
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Hi Guys,
As a current M50d owner I had the pleasure of having an 840d coupe loaner for 3 days from my dealership whilst my car was being serviced.
Lovely looking car and the diesel engine sounds so good in sport mode. My only issue is how low the car is when getting in an out. I'm quite tall with a tempremental back and the whole process of getting in and out began to wear on my back.
However I hasked the dealer to quote me on an M850 convertible but I suspect the good deals are not out there yet?
May leave it 12 months as I still love my M50d.
Hope you have many miles of happy driving in your new 8s
We came out of an X6 M50d and as I'm sports mad it is very easy for me in and out of the 8, but my wife says that it is a lot harder getting in and out. I'd take one out for a good few days before committing as you definitely haul yourself in and out. Also if you are tall the seat will go down extremely low and it will be even worse. I'm only 1.72m so I skip in and out of it, but if you are taller/and/or heavier I'd say it will be considerably harder than the X6. My mate who is 15 years younger than me was huffing and puffing getting in and out and he's only 44!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #22
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Or a MkIII "K-reg" Spitfire in my case. I seem to remember that it was the same chassis as a Herald.
Yes they were, hence why the Spitfire was actually ancient before it was even launched. TR7 was revolutionary, but made with the same depth of engineering - that is not much! Really sad about Triumph cars. I think BMW owns the car name, whereas Triumph motorbikes, formally built in Meriden, outskirts of Coventry, are now built in Hinkley about 10 miles away by another company. I'm off on a factory tour of Triumph Motorcycles Friday - really looking forward to seeing a modern factory.
Appreciate 0