M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New Software Update

10-29-2023, 09:40 PM   #1
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

New Software Update

For the past five days, my BMW app has been showing a new update downloaded but cannot see the version. I have not had the chance to upload it to the car yet.

Has anyone else received this update? It doesn’t look like major changes!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 12:38 AM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
I'm on 07/2023 now for the M850i so if anything that's what you're getting the OTA option for. I've turned off all automatic downloads on the MyBMW app as I do not want the iD8.5 update for the wife's LCI X5 that is now being pushed. I'll get the notice it's available and just chuckle as no way in hell I'm installing it on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I've been trying to update the car but it keeps saying "installation will start soon" but it hasn't started I deleted the update on the app and re-downloaded several time in hopes for it to start but nothing seems to work!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I'm on 07/2023 now for the M850i so if anything that's what you're getting the OTA option for. I've turned off all automatic downloads on the MyBMW app as I do not want the iD8.5 update for the wife's LCI X5 that is now being pushed. I'll get the notice it's available and just chuckle as no way in hell I'm installing it on the X5.
i'm still running the 2021 software on my M8. What's to upgrade for?
did I miss the taming of our exhaust systems?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #5
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

You are right, these upgrades are pretty stupid... It seems like BMW figured out some bugs in 7/2023 so they pulled it out.

Last week I got a notice from my BMW app for a new software update. I did not have a chance to installed until the weekend on Sunday. From Sunday until this morning the iDrive has a message stating the update will begin shortly. I deleted the update from the app on the phone and redownloaded it this afternoon so I can run it on my drive home. When I got in the car, the iDrive showed no new updates. I went to the app, the download is no longer there and it shows I'm up to date with current version 03/2023.67. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
i'm still running the 2021 software on my M8. What's to upgrade for?
did I miss the taming of our exhaust systems?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 06:18 PM   #6
M8Bimmer
Rep

Ya, I just wanna drive the car not play video games with BMW. The car works great and does all it say's it will do. So i'm happy.
So unless something really MAJOR changes or goes wrong, I don't give a flying FU&k. I should say that if I needed to install it as it HAD to be done. Ok, whatever I suppose. But until then it's enjoy what it came with.
I don't need the hassle of reloading shit and apps. I just need the car to drive. and have some loud ZZ Top or Ac/Dc or Zepplin playing. Then watch out.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5291.50
      11-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya, I just wanna drive the car not play video games with BMW. The car works great and does all it say's it will do. So i'm happy.
So unless something really MAJOR changes or goes wrong, I don't give a flying FU&k. I should say that if I needed to install it as it HAD to be done. Ok, whatever I suppose. But until then it's enjoy what it came with.
I don't need the hassle of reloading shit and apps. I just need the car to drive. and have some loud ZZ Top or Ac/Dc or Zepplin playing. Then watch out.
So the breakdown is starting with 11/2022 BMW has been refining various aspects of DAP plus a few other useless tweaks. A few more re refinements went into 03/2023 and honestly nothing for 07/2023. The key though is with at least 11/2022 the lane change assistance is now smooth vs the ridiculous over aggressiveness of the past.

I honestly only wanted 11/2022 which was stuck in OTA hell land until I asked my SA to help as it is the key for the DAP refinements. In not a totally unsuspected outcome when I asked back in August (had the M850i in for a new tire thanks to the construction staple in the left rear) they loaded me with 07/2023.

That said I can 💯 confirm that the lane change assistant when in DAP in now sane vs back prior it woke my wife up sleeping in the passenger seat on a road trip to San Diego. She actually woke up and freaked out asking me if I was falling asleep. My answer "nope the car is driven by itself". 🤣

Further said rock on as AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc. are alive and well in the M850i via FLAC and the glorious B&W sound system. I'm spoiled but just got to witness AC/DC, Judas Priest, GnR, etc. out in CA a few weeks back. Didn't stick around for Metallica (final headliner) as the plane was leaving (hardship flying private &#128540 but overall 2.5 days of this 57 year old's life well spent. 👍
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 12:16 AM   #8
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
So the breakdown is starting with 11/2022 BMW has been refining various aspects of DAP plus a few other useless tweaks. A few more re refinements went into 03/2023 and honestly nothing for 07/2023. The key though is with at least 11/2022 the lane change assistance is now smooth vs the ridiculous over aggressiveness of the past.

I honestly only wanted 11/2022 which was stuck in OTA hell land until I asked my SA to help as it is the key for the DAP refinements. In not a totally unsuspected outcome when I asked back in August (had the M850i in for a new tire thanks to the construction staple in the left rear) they loaded me with 07/2023.

That said I can 💯 confirm that the lane change assistant when in DAP in now sane vs back prior it woke my wife up sleeping in the passenger seat on a road trip to San Diego. She actually woke up and freaked out asking me if I was falling asleep. My answer "nope the car is driven by itself". 🤣

Further said rock on as AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc. are alive and well in the M850i via FLAC and the glorious B&W sound system. I'm spoiled but just got to witness AC/DC, Judas Priest, GnR, etc. out in CA a few weeks back. Didn't stick around for Metallica (final headliner) as the plane was leaving (hardship flying private &#128540 but overall 2.5 days of this 57 year old's life well spent. 👍
I turned the lane change assist off. Got pretty fed up with that feature second guessing me. I occasionally turn it on when I want to mix a drink and roll a joint.
Kidding, I don't actually drink.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 12:22 AM   #9
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:

That said I can �� confirm that the lane change assistant when in DAP in now sane vs back prior it woke my wife up sleeping in the passenger seat on a road trip to San Diego. She actually woke up and freaked out asking me if I was falling asleep. My answer "nope the car is driven by itself". ��

Further said rock on as AC/DC, ZZ Top, etc. are alive and well in the M850i via FLAC and the glorious B&W sound system. I'm spoiled but just got to witness AC/DC, Judas Priest, GnR, etc. out in CA a few weeks back. Didn't stick around for Metallica (final headliner) as the plane was leaving (hardship flying private ��) but overall 2.5 days of this 57 year old's life well spent. ��
For some reason at 64 I find myself liking the hard rock more than ever. I just love it for driving. I just click forward til it comes on. Could I be actually getting younger and reversing the aging process?????.
My volume inclinations has caused relationship upheaval though...wow boy! don't see eye to eye apparently .
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 04:50 AM   #10
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

What app (said with humor as I dont have it or use it)? I too could care less about "updates". If they want to deal with it, when the car goes in for routine service, so be it, but I for sure would never take a second of my time to get our car(s) to update OTA.
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1274.00
      11-03-2023, 09:16 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I do not believe 7/2023.xx has begun to be delivered via OTA to iDrive 7 cars. 8 series owners seeing new upgrade notices are more likely still being offered 3/2023.
      11-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For some reason at 64 I find myself liking the hard rock more than ever. I just love it for driving. I just click forward til it comes on. Could I be actually getting younger and reversing the aging process?????.
My volume inclinations has caused relationship upheaval though...wow boy! don't see eye to eye apparently .
LOL and I'll be right there with you in a few years as I grew up classically trained (piano), moved to sax for band in middle school but finally got my Dad to buy me a guitar when I was a sophomore in highschool. It was a challenge being a lefty but little did I know at the time the only left handed guitar the shop in Tucson had turned out to be a pre-CBS Stratocaster.

Played everything from blues to jazz in various bands during college but the hard rock world will forever be my favorite. Got lucky and was in a band through the late 80s that had enough of a following I ended up making life long friends with fellow guitarists that "made it" plus key players in WEA they all recorded on. I shifted to the F50 world in 1992 but those friends are how I got to see the Power Trip festival gratis and the time of my life for likely the past 3+ years.

I constantly battle with the wife over volume in the car as well. When she's with me it's 20% max on the B&W. I've got several albums of her genre of choice (Latin/RnB) on the SSD but even trying to play them over 20% is a no go. 😜
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1274.00
      11-03-2023, 09:56 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I do not believe 7/2023.xx has begun to be delivered via OTA to iDrive 7 cars. 8 series owners seeing new upgrade notices are more likely still being offered 3/2023.
Good to know and makes sense as OTAs are at least 6 months or more behind the release date. Upside is 03/2023 includes the 11/2022 lane change assistance tuning plus a few more DAP tweaks. So at least for now 03/2023 is the end of the road for any benefit whatsoever in an upgrade. 07/2023 is useless of any value in iD7 vs iD8.
Appreciate 0