M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i & 840d LOVE CARS VIDEO - TIFF NEEDELL review

12-17-2018, 02:34 AM   #45
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Weak!
Which means “true”.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      12-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #46
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Well maybe BMW shouldn't have given us so many reasons since 2009 to keep shitting on them?
After a decade one would think you’d have buggered off by now !

Keep reading the E90 LCI was the last great 3er. The F10 was a tour de force. And the MZ4...

Perhaps it doesn’t matter what they produce, if you see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #47
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
The issue here is not so much the allegedly overly positive substance of the review, as this doesn't prove per se that the reviewers' judgment is necessarily biased or even paid for by BMW. The car potentially might well be that good, claiming otherwise without having test-driven it ourselves would be irrelevant.

The issue is that it's simply a very poor actual review at all. Quite a few inaccuracies about the tech / data / non-driving aspects, okay no big deal as long as the driving aspects are reviewed in depth... After all Tiff is an outstanding driver with racing credentials and hey, maybe he just doesn't want to bother too much with the rest... Well how disapppointing to see that, aside from a few comments about acceleration and suspension comfort, we hardly get any specific feedback on the car's actual driving dynamics, how accurate the steering feel is, exactly how the car behaves in a corner, to what extent you can steer it with the throttle, how agile it is on a twisty road, what about understeer, etc. i.e. a detailed driving review along the lines of what Chris Harris or Steve Sutcliffe are doing on a regular basis.

This lack of accurate feedback about the actual driving dynamics is what's disappointing from a driver of Tiff's caliber. Hence why the very first assumption (that the car might well be as good as the reviewers claim), though possible, unfortunately loses credibility because it's not properly backed up. Add in the quite amateuristic approach and specifically the lack of rigor in reporting accurate technical data in favor of a general message that 'it's just great', and you get many people jumping to the conclusion that the review must at least be biased because the driver just loves them BMWs too much to bother providing accurate details, or even has been paid by BMW. However given the amount of inaccuracies they let slip through, I'm inclined to believe that precisely there is no way BMW paid for this review, rather the reviewers for some reason just didn't want to go through the trouble of formulating a more in-depth judgment, may be laziness or may just be the deliberately mainstream / entertainment policy of the given media they work for.
Ok, these are pretty darned fair points. Yes, Tiff is eminently capable of providing a technical driving review, and now that you mention it, I would like to hear his opinions on these points. Although I don't think we'll get him to stop being lighthearted and goofy
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #48
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
That's why there is the Gran Coupe.
I know that there will be the Gran Coupe. But my point is: The car is pretty big, but still hasn't space for 4 persons. It is not a sportscar but more a GT, which could be okay for many, but while it's 30 cm longer than the 911, it actually hasn't more space in the back than the Porsche. So where is the advantage of the larger car (other than more trunk space )? This could've been the decisive argument to buy the 8er instead of the 911 (you accept the compromise in terms of sportiness and much higher weight, but you get more space for passengers and luggage instead).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #49
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
I know that there will be the Gran Coupe. But my point is: The car is pretty big, but still hasn't space for 4 persons. It is not a sportscar but more a GT, which could be okay for many, but while it's 30 cm longer than the 911, it actually hasn't more space in the back than the Porsche. So where is the advantage of the larger car (other than more trunk space )? This could've been the decisive argument to buy the 8er instead of the 911 (you accept the compromise in terms of sportiness and much higher weight, but you get more space for passengers and luggage instead).
I said this earlier, I'd have liked it to have 1" more legroom than the F13 chassis instead of 1" less. This would make it a 4 seater comfortably for all but the tallest people.

The length that it is at is a bit of a pointless compromise - too small for 4 adults, rear facing child seats don't fit and heavier than a real 2 seater.
      12-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #50
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

That hands free back-out feature is neat for sure
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #51
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
I miss Fifth Gear.

And Vicki.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #52
khailuan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW IX40 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbNO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post

Whether it's the 8-Series, 3-Series, or a new feature or piece of tech BMW comes out with (like when Wired said the most impressive thing at the LA Auto Show from ALL Brands was BMW's new electric architecture), all anyone does on this site is shit on it. I've never seen anything like it, an entire site full of supposed fans who purport to like and support a brand that instead do absolutely nothing but whine and complain and disagree with anything positive. Are Porsche and Audi and Mercedes sites like this? I mean, Jesus Christ.
+1. I Wonder how many of the haters are paid trolls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbNO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post

Whether it's the 8-Series, 3-Series, or a new feature or piece of tech BMW comes out with (like when Wired said the most impressive thing at the LA Auto Show from ALL Brands was BMW's new electric architecture), all anyone does on this site is shit on it. I've never seen anything like it, an entire site full of supposed fans who purport to like and support a brand that instead do absolutely nothing but whine and complain and disagree with anything positive. Are Porsche and Audi and Mercedes sites like this? I mean, Jesus Christ.
+1. I Wonder how many of the haters are paid trolls?
Sorry to break it to you mate, but they gladly do it for free
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #53
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khailuan View Post
Sorry to break it to you mate, but they gladly do it for free
Paid or otherwise - their mission is clear and unambiguous
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #54
firstbimmernyc
Rep
Drives: M850

Literally every review I've seen on here and on YouTube praises the drivability of the car, aside from maybe the steering. It's a daily driver and I'll be using it as such. Every reviewer has a smile when putting it through the ropes, either on track or street driving. This. Is. BMW. Everyone may complain that the interior is not up to merc or that the look is that of a mustang. (FYI, it's so much better than a mustang in person.) But the bottom line is that it delivers on the road. This has and always will be the BMW mantra and this is why it's a great car. I've test driven this thing and it is a beast. This is what I want and I can't wait to get it in late January. For this price, it is the best on all fronts as a daily driver. But feel free to disagree. We are all entitled to our own opinion. I'm comfortable with mine.
Appreciate 1
Wing Co239.00
      12-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #55
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
We checked out a local M850 this week.
In person, the car looks so much better than in pics but the cabin was surprisingly cramped, especially give the size of the car.
I am 6'3" and had very little headroom with the seat all the way down.

Before ordering the 8 series, make sure to sit in one first to see if its a good fit.
Appreciate 0