M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Question for those with CTEK/BMW 8 Step Chargers

11-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Question Question for those with CTEK/BMW 8 Step Chargers

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've been using the BMW version of CTEK's 8 step Lithium charger and have noticed something that I'm not sure is normal and would like to get some feedback.

CTEK says after 10 days the charger is supposed to enter step 8/pulse mode which is for longer term charging, yet on my M850 is goes into pulse mode after only 2-3 days and stays there for about a week or so, then for some reason goes back to step 6 for about a day then works its way back to pulse mode again.

I reached out to CTEK and they said I might have defective charger so I reached out to BMW parts and they sent a replacement and it does the same thing. Called CTEK tech line and they said it should not be doing this and the car must have a draw. Car was at BMW just a few weeks back for the one year service, and the "vehicle will turn off soon message" that would pop up when driving and turn off after being driven a short distance as some others have reported. My dealer indicated that it was a SW issue and required an update but I declined due to the exhaust-gate issue. Battery testing was all good.

So, for those with these chargers are you seeing the same thing where after being hooked up and the car not driven opened etc where it gets up to pulse and after a week or so it drops down to step 6 then goes back up again?

FYI, I went with the BMW version as it has a dual mode of charging either lithium or conventional batteries vs the non-BMW version which does one or the other.

Here's CTEK's latest response once I made certain they knew it was a BMW version:
The BMW branded charger is different from all CTEK branded chargers and am not familiar with or even trained on that product. As you probably know, CTEK is the manufacturer of several premium branded chargers, including BMW. Due to contractual agreements, all queries regarding client branded chargers and accessories, including manuals and other details, are to be directed to the vehicle manufacturer.

I’m hoping that a service tech with BMW will be able to assist you or that the product manual has some helpful information.

Unfortunately my service dept doesn't know much about the nuances of these.

Thx

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 11-18-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I've been using the BMW version of CTEK's 8 step Lithium charger and have noticed something that I'm not sure is normal and would like to get some feedback.

CTEK says after 10 days the charger is supposed to enter step 8/pulse mode which is for longer term charging, yet on my M850 is goes into pulse mode after only 2-3 days and stays there for about a week or so, then for some reason goes back to step 6 for about a day then works its way back to pulse mode again.

I reached out to CTEK and they said I might have defective charger so I reached out to BMW parts and they sent a replacement and it does the same thing. Called CTEK tech line and they said it should not be doing this and the car must have a draw. Car was at BMW just a few weeks back for the one year service, and the "vehicle will turn off soon message" that would pop up when driving and turn off after being driven a short distance as some others have reported. My dealer indicated that it was a SW issue and required an update but I declined due to the exhaust-gate issue.

So, for those with these chargers are you seeing the same thing where after being hooked up and the car not driven opened etc where it gets up to pulse and after a week or so it drops down to step 6 then goes back up again?

FYI, I went with the BMW version as it has a dual mode of charging either lithium or conventional batteries vs the non-BMW version which does one or the other.

Here's CTEK's latest response once I made certain they knew it was a BMW version:
[SIZE="2"]The BMW branded charger is different from all CTEK branded chargers and am not familiar with or even trained on that product. As you probably know, CTEK is the manufacturer of several premium branded chargers, including BMW. Due to contractual agreements, all queries regarding client branded chargers and accessories, including manuals and other details, are to be directed to the vehicle manufacturer.

I'm hoping that a service tech with BMW will be able to assist you or that the product manual has some helpful information. [/SIZE]

Unfortunately my service dept doesn't know much about the nuances of these.

Thx
I haven't gotten any of those problems. I left mine to sit for long periods of time because COVID and it's our 4th car that we don't use. My 2019 bmw m850i with the original battery is still going strong without this car turn off soon problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I haven't gotten any of those problems. I left mine to sit for long periods of time because COVID and it's our 4th car that we don't use. My 2019 bmw m850i with the original battery is still going strong without this car turn off soon problem.
Thanks. Mine starts great even after 2-3 weeks of not driving it, but I got the charger just in case, as the Lithium battery is $2000.00 to replace and not covered for low use.

Just trying to see if anyone using these chargers is experiencing what I am. When car was at dealership battery, short test etc all came back good except the need to update SW for the will turn off soon msg.

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Mine starts great even after 2-3 weeks of not driving it, but I got the charger just in case, as the Lithium battery is $2000.00 to replace and not cover for low use.

Just trying to see if anyone using these chargers is experiencing what I am. When car was at dealership battery, short test etc all came back good except the need to update SW for the will turn off soon msg.
Yeah, sure no problem. I should clarify that I have a battery tender tricle charger and it's not the exact same as your BMW one.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, sure no problem. I should clarify that I have a battery tender tricle charger and it's not the exact same as your BMW one.
Which one are you using?

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Which one are you using?
This one:

Battery Tender Plus Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Powersports Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - 12 Volt, 1.25 Amp Battery Chargers - 022-0185G-DL-WH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KEEA...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      11-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This one:

Battery Tender Plus Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Powersports Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - 12 Volt, 1.25 Amp Battery Chargers - 022-0185G-DL-WH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KEEA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Interesting, the first BMW charger I purchased and picked up at my 1 year was the wrong one and similar to yours, and that one worked fine, but it doesn't have the eight lights to illustrate the 8 steps, but just 2, so I'd have no way of knowing it worked the same way as the 8. Here's the two, first one is what I have now:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...ATTERY-CHARGER

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...LLIGATOR-CLIPS

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This one:

Battery Tender Plus Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Powersports Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - 12 Volt, 1.25 Amp Battery Chargers - 022-0185G-DL-WH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KEEA...UTF8&psc=1
Interesting, the first BMW charger I purchased and picked up at my 1 year was the wrong one and similar to yours, and that one worked fine, but it doesn't have the eight lights to illustrate the 8 steps, but just 2, so I'd have no way of knowing it worked the same way as the 8. Here's the two, first one is what I have now:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...LLIGATOR-CLIPS
yep, very similar! I know nothing about batteries despite my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering from UVA in 2000. I've been an econ and lawyer too long to remember what Amps and Volts work.

but I'd wager the bigger BMW one should be better for you. we have the Amazon one because we have 5 cars and it works with all of them, so far!
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      11-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yep, very similar! I know nothing about batteries despite my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering from UVA in 2000. I've been an econ and lawyer too long to remember what Amps and Volts work.

but I'd wager the bigger BMW one should be better for you. we have the Amazon one because we have 5 cars and it works with all of them, so far!
Thanks, hoping that someone here with the 8 step ctek or better yet BMW version of it chimes in.

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, hoping that someone here with the 8 step ctek or better yet BMW version of it chimes in.
@jmciver can you help us?
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      11-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #11
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@jmciver can you help us?
Wolfman64 has the ctek 8 step version, most likely he'll chime in.

Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 11:13 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Bumping this up to the top as looking to get a charger for the M850i just to rule out low lithium battery levels for OTAs. Planning on going with the CTEK OEM'd BMW battery aka 4961 (https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...TERY-CHARGER). $163 and a fractional rounding error of chump change given the time and investment with the M850i.

Are there other recommendations? There has been several threads on 1 battery vs 2, etc. Best trickle chargers for the single lithium in a M8, but I'm pretty confident my 2020 M850i has two batteries, i.e., AGM and Lithium. Any recommendations beyond the BMW charger?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 07:41 AM   #13
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

I use one from Costco and it works fine for all our cars:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 08:35 AM   #14
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Bumping this up to the top as looking to get a charger for the M850i just to rule out low lithium battery levels for OTAs. Planning on going with the CTEK OEM'd BMW battery aka 4961 (https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...TERY-CHARGER). $163 and a fractional rounding error of chump change given the time and investment with the M850i.

Are there other recommendations? There has been several threads on 1 battery vs 2, etc. Best trickle chargers for the single lithium in a M8, but I'm pretty confident my 2020 M850i has two batteries, i.e., AGM and Lithium. Any recommendations beyond the BMW charger?
I use this to charge and maintain the battery of my 2022 M850i while she is in storage for the summer in Florida. Works great. I suspect it's the same as the re-labled BMW version at half the money.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #15
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post

I've been using this one on my M8 for over a year now. Right now I'm traveling about every week so no time to drive and it has been working great. And it is on sale!

2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
I use this to charge and maintain the battery of my 2022 M850i while she is in storage for the summer in Florida. Works great. I suspect it's the same as the re-labled BMW version at half the money.

That one will definitely work for the AGM battery but the product documentation dictates lead acid only support (gel, AGM, etc.). So it will absolutely keep a decent charge on the AGM but won't touch the Lithium in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:12 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I've been using this one on my M8 for over a year now. Right now I'm traveling about every week so no time to drive and it has been working great. And it is on sale!

Perfect for the M8 as Lithium only and reading the specs starts with 13.8V which the BSM will allow. As posted on another thread, ended up with the NOCO Genius 10. It supports AGM and Lithium and have had it charge/float in both modes. Key being it starts out at 14.4V so highly doubt it even really touches the Lithium battery in the trunk. Just ordered the CTEK Lithium so we'll see what happens and still plenty of return window open on Amazon for the NOCO. 👍

Or may just keep both as the NOCO definitely maintains the AGM battery even though it's considered auxiliary according to the M850i TIS documentation.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:23 AM   #18
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Hi guys,

I'm coming from the F90 M5 board.

I'm facing an issue with my BMW Lithium battery charger.

After reaching step 2, it starts blinking and the charging cycle doesn't start.

The charger worked for 2 years, I encountered the same problem as now which was resolved by taking the car for a drive.

Now the charger doesn't want to know anything, even after driving the car.

has anyone encountered this problem before?

Here's a video of the charger not working :

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:55 AM   #19
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep

I have the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger which I believe is essentially the same as the rebranded BMW CTEK model you have. The instructions (attached) for my charger state on page 12 that stage 2 is a soft test, and if the battery is defective, charging will not occur. Sorry, as I'm sure that's not a response you were hoping to receive.

CTEK_MXS-5.0-Manual-v2.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 12:18 PM   #20
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
I have the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger which I believe is essentially the same as the rebranded BMW CTEK model you have. The instructions (attached) for my charger state on page 12 that stage 2 is a soft test, and if the battery is defective, charging will not occur. Sorry, as I'm sure that's not a response you were hoping to receive.

Attachment 3297878
Thank you for that answer.

In fact, I read in the user manual that if the charger blocks in step 2, this means that the battery cannot be recharged because it is too old.

What's amazing is that the car starts without a problem and no low battery lights appear.
No message on the iDrive either...

I only use the car for long trips, and the rest of the time it is parked in my garage plugged into the charger (when it was still working).

So I think that the battery can be recharged, but that a safety device prevents recharging.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:41 PM   #21
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

How can this charger charge 2 batteries at once? In the M8 we have 2 batteries I thought. If you connect under the hood where they show you too, won't it be charging both at once? And they are not the same type are they?
I assume under the hood is where this one connects.
What's the story with this guys?
Isn't this the same as the BMW charger. Does it charge both at once.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...AN9A0OWP&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:16 AM   #22
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
How can this charger charge 2 batteries at once? In the M8 we have 2 batteries I thought. If you connect under the hood where they show you too, won't it be charging both at once? And they are not the same type are they?
I assume under the hood is where this one connects.
What's the story with this guys?
Isn't this the same as the BMW charger. Does it charge both at once.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...AN9A0OWP&psc=1
See post 4 here:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...senger%20side.

I haven't done much research on this yet, but I would make an initial guess that if the mentioned switch did trip and the Lithium battery does not charge, it's no big deal because lithium batteries maintain their charge far better than lead (AMG), and I'm not sure which battery maintains the constant draw electronics anyway. It could well be the lead one.

I use this to maintain the battery of my 2022 M850 vert for 4 months each summer in my climate controlled Florida garage while summering in Maine. I have not had any issues upon return, but that's not confirmation that I may indeed be slowly causing battery damage. However my instincts doubt it. Also, I have received no messages from iD7 indicating any battery/charging issues.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...f?v=1597088684

Also, this charger from BMW has a note that says it works for both lead and lithium batteries, thus issue resolved:

Last edited by yugrac; 10-20-2023 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0