M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion The 8 - the way it drives

01-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #23
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Same here. I feel like trying to revive the 8 series nameplate as the must luxurious BMW there is and then see what a let down it is interior wise is saddening. I get that the design language is suppose to be sporty, but the X7 and X5 interiors look way more luxurious than the 8. Huge BMW fanboy but I think the AMG GT 4 door nails what this 8 series was suppose to be
Have you actually spent any time in an 8? It's the identical interior to the most heavily-optioned X5 and X7s, although scaled down for size. I suppose there's an argument to be made that the 8 should be in some way "special" above and beyond the new X cars, but the Xs are in no way "more luxurious." If anything, it's a wash.
They definitely have two different themes going on in both of those cars. The 8 with the waterfall effect and the X line with a more traditional design.
      01-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #24
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Same here. I feel like trying to revive the 8 series nameplate as the must luxurious BMW there is and then see what a let down it is interior wise is saddening. I get that the design language is suppose to be sporty, but the X7 and X5 interiors look way more luxurious than the 8. Huge BMW fanboy but I think the AMG GT 4 door nails what this 8 series was suppose to be
It’s unclear to me if these comments are based on actual inspection of the M850 or on the review. If it’s the latter, I suggest some time spent in the actual car before drawing conclusions.
They were derived from both. The 8 series just personally didn't catch my attention enough how I thought it would to really go out and want to experience it more in detail. For now.
      01-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #25
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34 View Post
Have you actually spent any time in an 8? It's the identical interior to the most heavily-optioned X5 and X7s, although scaled down for size. I suppose there's an argument to be made that the 8 should be in some way "special" above and beyond the new X cars, but the Xs are in no way "more luxurious." If anything, it's a wash.
The 8er's interior is definitely more in line with the X5/X7. I don't think it's unreasonable to view this negatively. For sure an expensive car there are very high expectations. The 911, AMG GT, S-class coupe, and Lexus LC are all priced similarly and have more "unique" interiors. Quality is fine in the 8, but design leaves something to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:37 AM   #26
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

@sergey8 Fantastic review. Pressed Appreciate after reading it again.
Appreciate 0