M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020 Toyota Supra - Look at the interior - Anything familiar??

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #67
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Sweeney921's Avatar
90
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Been driving manual trans, LSD, race suspension, high horsepower BMWs for about 16 years and have not once pulled my ebrake for any sort of "tool" while performance driving.
I never claimed to be a performance driver. In fact I'm definitely the opposite. Just out to have some fun with my car, even if it's just Grade-A e-brake tomfoolery in a deserted parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
You can slide without an e-brake on a RWD 300+ hp 50/50 3300lb coupe and there are better cars for some offroad rally racing. For what it is, the lack of an e-brake isn't that big of a deal. Manuals are going away, so we might as well get used to it.
Good point. My 330i xDrive doesn't have 300+ hp though, so I can't fully relate to the new Supra. The e-brake is the only option that I have to get my car sideways - especially at low speeds. Like I said earlier in this post, I'm just out to have some fun and electronic e-brakes take that option away...probably intentionally.
__________________
2017 BMW 330i Sport Wagon - M-sport, EBII, THP, DHP
Supersprint cat-back exhaust (resonated, dual outlet) - H&R rear sway bar - ER charge pipe
Waiting for: Bootmod3 - xHP Flashtool - xDelete

Last edited by Sweeney921; 01-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #68
bimmer456
Brigadier General
1600
Rep
4,556
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Been driving manual trans, LSD, race suspension, high horsepower BMWs for about 16 years and have not once pulled my ebrake for any sort of "tool" while performance driving.
I never claimed to be a performance driver. In fact I'm definitely the opposite. Just out to have some fun with my car, even if it's just Grade-A e-brake tomfoolery in a deserted parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
You can slide without an e-brake on a RWD 300+ hp 50/50 3300lb coupe and there are better cars for some offroad rally racing. For what it is, the lack of an e-brake isn't that big of a deal. Manuals are going away, so we might as well get used to it.
Good point. My 330i xDrive doesn't have 300+ hp though, so I can't fully relate to the new Supra. The e-brake is the only option that I have to get my car sideways - especially at low speeds. Like I said earlier in this post, I'm just out to have some fun and electronic e-brakes take that option away...probably intentionally.
The kids will figure out how to put an MT and manual e brake in it. With any luck the Lexus IS will also get this engine and they will finally retire the 3.5 liter NA motor that dates back to 2005.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #69
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Sweeney921's Avatar
90
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The kids will figure out how to put an MT and manual e brake in it. With any luck the Lexus IS will also get this engine and they will finally retire the 3.5 liter NA motor that dates back to 2005.
One thing that's very exciting about the new Supra having BMW components is that it will also bring with it a massive tuning scene. If it has the same ECU encryption as the B58 then hopefully flash tunes will hit the market sooner than they otherwise would.
__________________
2017 BMW 330i Sport Wagon - M-sport, EBII, THP, DHP
Supersprint cat-back exhaust (resonated, dual outlet) - H&R rear sway bar - ER charge pipe
Waiting for: Bootmod3 - xHP Flashtool - xDelete
Appreciate 1
bimmer4561599.50

      01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #70
Gen13 F36
Major
United_States
428
Rep
1,298
Posts

Drives: 428i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

This car don't scream Supra once your inside..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #71
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
CalCarNut's Avatar
United_States
1040
Rep
3,251
Posts

Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Blue Skies

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
This car don't scream Supra once your inside..
No, but the outside (front) screams FR-S/86 way too loudly. This car is not pretty to look at at all. It'll probably end up on the SCCA circuit in it's own class soon enough. I had an '84 Supra MT that was an awesome car. This car, other than having Z4 underpinnings, isn't on my list anytime soon.
__________________
2015 BMW F36 428i JetBlack. Sport Line Edition
25% 3M Tint|
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #72
bimmer456
Brigadier General
1600
Rep
4,556
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
This car don't scream Supra once your inside..
No, but the outside (front) screams FR-S/86 way too loudly. This car is not pretty to look at at all. It'll probably end up on the SCCA circuit in it's own class soon enough. I had an '84 Supra MT that was an awesome car. This car, other than having Z4 underpinnings, isn't on my list anytime soon.
Clearly Toyota needs help in the r and d department that's why their getting help from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #73
smak_91
Private First Class
22
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive - MPPSK
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
BMW has hybrids already. It does seem like their front drive platform is derived from Toyota in the X1,X2 and 2 series GC as well as Chinese 1 series. The transmissions are built by the same OEM as Toyota.
Well....the X1 is based on the mini cooper platform sooooooo not a Toyota. Unless the mini is based on a Toyota platform but I do not believe that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It is not a dead ringer. On closer inspection, even the HVAC and radio controls are unique parts. They are also much more well integrated into the dash than on the F30. The vent design continuing into the dash is also looks very good, IMO. Exactly what is a dead ringer to the F30? The dashboards look nothing alike. The vents are completely different, the gauge cluster is completely different, the center console is completely different, the switches and buttons are all similar to BMW's newer cars as are the door pulls and lock switches. The infotainment screen looks to have a unique shape for the Supra and the steering wheel looks nothing like an F30 steering wheel except for the control buttons.

Can you please describe specifically what you are talking about? Dead ringer? The F30 interior looks so outdated now. This interior looks modern and clean.


Someone's sensitive. The interior is maybe not a dead ringer but is damn near close and where a Toyota should look like a different vehicle all together because it isn't a BMW this one looks (and is) a sibling to the Z4.

Albeit, a red headed step child.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #74
bimmer456
Brigadier General
1600
Rep
4,556
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak_91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
BMW has hybrids already. It does seem like their front drive platform is derived from Toyota in the X1,X2 and 2 series GC as well as Chinese 1 series. The transmissions are built by the same OEM as Toyota.
Well....the X1 is based on the mini cooper platform sooooooo not a Toyota. Unless the mini is based on a Toyota platform but I do not believe that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It is not a dead ringer. On closer inspection, even the HVAC and radio controls are unique parts. They are also much more well integrated into the dash than on the F30. The vent design continuing into the dash is also looks very good, IMO. Exactly what is a dead ringer to the F30? The dashboards look nothing alike. The vents are completely different, the gauge cluster is completely different, the center console is completely different, the switches and buttons are all similar to BMW's newer cars as are the door pulls and lock switches. The infotainment screen looks to have a unique shape for the Supra and the steering wheel looks nothing like an F30 steering wheel except for the control buttons.

Can you please describe specifically what you are talking about? Dead ringer? The F30 interior looks so outdated now. This interior looks modern and clean.


Someone's sensitive. The interior is maybe not a dead ringer but is damn near close and where a Toyota should look like a different vehicle all together because it isn't a BMW this one looks (and is) a sibling to the Z4.

Albeit, a red headed step child.
The transmission on the x1 is made in Japan but marketed as an 8 speed steptronic. It is not a zf transmission with is for rear wheel drive based derivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #75
trilltx
Private
trilltx's Avatar
35
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: Alpine F32
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Fortunately you won’t be required to buy it.
Fortunately, I can still voice my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #76
smak_91
Private First Class
22
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive - MPPSK
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The transmission on the x1 is made in Japan but marketed as an 8 speed steptronic. It is not a zf transmission with is for rear wheel drive based derivetrain.
I mis-read your first statement....my bad.

The chassis (platform) is a mini.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #77
Tacoma
Lieutenant
179
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: BMW's for 25+ years
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post

Can you please describe specifically what you are talking about? Dead ringer? The F30 interior looks so outdated now. This interior looks modern and clean.
Not everything is from the F30, but a mishmash from BMW parts bin. Just from the photos, I can see:

* Steering wheel controls/buttons are BMW
* The HVAC button console, including the arrangement & look of the buttons and LED screen are BMW
* The 8 shortcut buttons and the control knob above the HVAC are BMW
* The iDrive controller is BMW
* The iDrive screen and GUI is BMW with Toyota logos
* The buttons above and below the controller are classic BMW
* The gearshift, with the "P" on top and screen showing the gears below are BMW and not like any Toyota/Lexus
* The window control panel button arrangement are BMW and not like any Toyota/Lexus

I can probably find more if I try to look closer or see the real car.

According to Autoblog: "Inside, the Supra is all BMW. The shifter, dash, buttons, knobs, switches, stalks, and even the steering wheel are all straight from the BMW parts bin."

It was reported back in Oct that RealOEM.com, a BMW parts catalog that includes parts for the Supra, including the windshield, HUD, exterior light button cluster, etc.

Some of the parts may be dressed up to make it look Toyota but the lineage to BMW is clear.
Appreciate 2
Wires416.50

      01-17-2019, 02:54 AM   #78
upsidedownfunnel
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1250
Rep
1,812
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Not everything is from the F30, but a mishmash from BMW parts bin. Just from the photos, I can see:

* Steering wheel controls/buttons are BMW
* The HVAC button console, including the arrangement & look of the buttons and LED screen are BMW
* The 8 shortcut buttons and the control knob above the HVAC are BMW
* The iDrive controller is BMW
* The iDrive screen and GUI is BMW with Toyota logos
* The buttons above and below the controller are classic BMW
* The gearshift, with the "P" on top and screen showing the gears below are BMW and not like any Toyota/Lexus
* The window control panel button arrangement are BMW and not like any Toyota/Lexus

I can probably find more if I try to look closer or see the real car.

According to Autoblog: "Inside, the Supra is all BMW. The shifter, dash, buttons, knobs, switches, stalks, and even the steering wheel are all straight from the BMW parts bin."

It was reported back in Oct that RealOEM.com, a BMW parts catalog that includes parts for the Supra, including the windshield, HUD, exterior light button cluster, etc.

Some of the parts may be dressed up to make it look Toyota but the lineage to BMW is clear.
It's pretty clear that they are sharing a lot of BMW parts. But someone claimed that the Supra interior was using "left over" parts from and was a dead ringer for the F30. That is a ridiculous claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:16 AM   #79
smak_91
Private First Class
22
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive - MPPSK
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I find BMW interiors to be just that... BMW.... it's simple and elegant in my eyes... undated which is the biggest thing to me... honestly the new G20 doesn't look much different to me in the sense of following BMW design lines ... Just my opinion... All that sit in my car love it (eye of the beholder)... I think Bimmer owners have been just looking at it too long that's all... The Mercedes looks dated and over done... the ES looks like they are trying to copy bmw more than anything to me anyways... I personally don't care for it... in the end I'm very happy with my interior... as for the supra.... very sad this wasn't japanese engineering.... that was supposed to be the claim to fame return... now it's just like another division of bwm... like Chrysler to Dodge, Buick to Chevy etc... sharing same platforms... Companys are budding up more than ever... Ford is getting in bed with VW.... What's next... Porsche motored Mustang???? (P.s. 2022 mustang is rumored AWD... could this be of Audi design???)
Well Ford does use the 911 to benchmark against when looking at the Mustang. Then believes that those who would shop for a 911 might change their mind and buy a Mustang instead.....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #80
Nextbooost
New Member
17
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: former 435, Supra, TLX
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak_91 View Post
Well Ford does use the 911 to benchmark against when looking at the Mustang. Then believes that those who would shop for a 911 might change their mind and buy a Mustang instead.....
Why not both, a classy 911 daily and a weekend beater gt500
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #81
Mingwan
Captain
1079
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: Beastly
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

We need more Supra threads. Can someone make another one? We really need it. Make sure we cover everything 4 times over.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #82
smak_91
Private First Class
22
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive - MPPSK
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbooost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak_91 View Post
Well Ford does use the 911 to benchmark against when looking at the Mustang. Then believes that those who would shop for a 911 might change their mind and buy a Mustang instead.....
Why not both, a classy 911 daily and a weekend beater gt500
There ya go!

I've been to their Roush facility and they had an Acura NSX next to a 911 next to the GT350....and yea that's how my line up of choices would stack up lol

Their perspective of the Mustang client base is extremely unrealistic!!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.




m8
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST