M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Primary Downpipes + Tune

11-29-2022, 07:49 PM   #1
dwing7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Comp. GC/2021 M550iX

M8 Primary Downpipes + Tune

Hey everyone,

I have a 2022 M8C Gran Coupe, and after a lot of talk with shops and guys around the community, I have been heavily advised to install primary downpipes instead of a full exhaust, as everyone swears that the primary sound restrictions come from the primaries. Currently it sounds nice, but there's a bit of a metallic edge to the sound and it feels like it is holding back a lot of airflow.

I was planning to do a custom set from SSR Performance in Orange County, CA along with a tune from VF Engineering, mostly due to the friends and family benefits I would receive from both.

Has anyone else had experience with any set of primary downpipes? Any info on smell, power gains, and sound increases would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 09:36 PM   #2
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwing7 View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a 2022 M8C Gran Coupe, and after a lot of talk with shops and guys around the community, I have been heavily advised to install primary downpipes instead of a full exhaust, as everyone swears that the primary sound restrictions come from the primaries. Currently it sounds nice, but there's a bit of a metallic edge to the sound and it feels like it is holding back a lot of airflow.

I was planning to do a custom set from SSR Performance in Orange County, CA along with a tune from VF Engineering, mostly due to the friends and family benefits I would receive from both.

Has anyone else had experience with any set of primary downpipes? Any info on smell, power gains, and sound increases would be much appreciated!
If it's just sound you're looking for Vic55 only did a resonator delete and is totally happy with that and only a few hundred $$. And sounds great.

Myself and Tenac have both done secondaries and full aftermarket exhaust. We did different exhausts but happy with both.

All 3 of these do not throw a CEL. Your primary's will.
Not that that can't be remedied just making you aware.

In all honesty: Vic, with the res-delete wins in my opinion. I spent about $13K and Tenac probably was close to 1/2 of that. I'm still happy with my decision though.
Appreciate 3
Tenac4539.50
Vic5519365.00
      11-29-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
dwing7
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatM8 View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone,

If it's just sound you're looking for Vic55 only did a resonator delete and is totally happy with that and only a few hundred $$. And sounds great.

Myself and Tenac have both done secondaries and full aftermarket exhaust. We did different exhausts but happy with both.

In all honesty: Vic, with the res-delete wins in my opinion. I spent about $13K and Tenac probably was close to 1/2 of that. I'm still happy with my decision though.
Thank you for the reply! I am also quite interested in power gains on top of sound, and have come to peace with the week or so without the car during ECU unlock. The blend of desires has been leading me more towards primary downpipes, but I definitely agree that for sound that would be just enough!

Great builds by the way!
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2022, 12:21 AM   #4
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatM8 View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thank you for the reply! I am also quite interested in power gains on top of sound, and have come to peace with the week or so without the car during ECU unlock. The blend of desires has been leading me more towards primary downpipes, but I definitely agree that for sound that would be just enough!

Great builds by the way!
Completely understand.

Keep us posted on your progress !
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2022, 04:43 AM   #5
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

I currently run stage 2 tune with custom exhaust and catless primaries and secondaries, but I l cannot live with the smell hence replacing primaries back with stock catted ones
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I would and many here be interested if VF could even tune your locked ECM without shipping overseas. So please keep us posted on that for sure!!!!

But like TheGreatM8 said primary's will cause the CEL, I even tried the O2 extenders with no luck myself....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
dwing7
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I would and many here be interested if VF could even tune your locked ECM without shipping overseas. So please keep us posted on that for sure!!!!

But like TheGreatM8 said primary's will cause the CEL, I even tried the O2 extenders with no luck myself....
That's definitely an option Nik and I are exploring! Gotta wait a bit cause he's abroad but I'll keep you posted!
Appreciate 3
Tenac4539.50
TheGreatM82174.50