M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Collision avoidance issues - sold the car!

10-20-2023, 05:56 AM   #67
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Glad you’ve got sorted Rob_G77 after what’s quite frankly a bit of a shit show by BMW. Love those wheels on the X5 too!
The rims I wasn't fond of at first, but they have grown on me. The most expensive rim option for the 40i.

I haven't signed just yet. The (loan) interest rates are stupidly high right now. 7.9% if I put $18k down and 9.24% if I don't put any down. Under normal circumstances I would walk away, but I really want this car GONE! I'm getting dealer invoice price ($10k off, no extra charges whatsoever) on the X5 plus an extra $10k trade value for my 8 series. It helps offset the huge negative equity hit on the M850i.

My sales guy said to me "oh but we'll be refinancing you in 6 months". Oh yeah? Well this time you if make that promise it's going to be in writing (full detail) and part of the sales contract, not some half baked promise you aren't going to keep - again! I couldn't believe I was hearing the same shit that helped get me into this spot in the first place a year ago! I know they will say they can't make it part of the contract and I'll respond "then why the fuck are you making promises again that you don't, or can't keep?"

Oh you better believe I am not signing anything until I am 110% completely satisfied with everyhing being said, promised and so forth.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 10-20-2023 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #68
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

It's a real shame you had to go through that and BMW showed zero empathy, but what counts now is your new ride. This one you have considered looks impressive and is full of new tech to discover and enjoy. Yes the back grille would be a must for me too. Once you are onboard feel free to share your thoughts and experience with ID8.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #69
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
The rims I wasn't fond of at first, but they have grown on me. The most expensive rim option for the 40i.

I haven't signed just yet. The (loan) interest rates are stupidly high right now. 7.9% if I put $18k down and 9.24% if I don't put any down. Under normal circumstances I would walk away, but I really want this car GONE! I'm getting dealer invoice price ($10k off, no extra charges whatsoever) on the X5 plus an extra $10k trade value for my 8 series. It helps offset the huge negative equity hit on the M850i.
Well at least they are working with you on the price as $10K aka dealer invoice plus the $10K extra for the M850i trade-in value. That said the dealer appears to be marking up the current BMW FS rates to the max. I built pretty much a similar X5 and the quote on the rate no matter how much I put down including $0 is 6.29%.

I too had no clue that dealers can mark it up until I bought the wife's 40i with a 5 year loan at 3.99% APR. I was happy with that given the rates back in August but then discovered the official BMW FS rate was 3.29% APR.

Quote:
My sales guy said to me "oh but we'll be refinancing you in 6 months". Oh yeah? Well this time you if make that promise it's going to be in writing (full detail) and part of the sales contract, not some half baked promise you aren't going to keep - again! I couldn't believe I was hearing the same shit that helped get me into this spot in the first place a year ago! I know they will say they can't make it part of the contract and I'll respond "then why the fuck are you making promises again that you don't, or can't keep?"
Agreed as likely impossible to write that into the contract and the executed loan docs will just allow you to pay it off at any time via refinancing on your own (or through the dealer). It's not like the dealer has a chrystal ball that the rates are dropping like a rock in 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 03:54 PM   #70
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I too had no clue that dealers can mark it up until I bought the wife's 40i with a 5 year loan at 3.99% APR. I was happy with that given the rates back in August but then discovered the official BMW FS rate was 3.29% APR.
I didn't know this until recently:

Dealers sometimes increase interest rates because they get kickbacks from the lenders (banks) if the financing rate is higher. I think it's a shady business practice because you would expect that they are trying to get the best rate for you while instead they are stuffing their pockets at your expense. Some dealerships will advertise a financed price online, but then state to contact them for the 'cash price'. I've even heard of some dealerships only selling (used only?) if it's financed, not cash.

A friend bought a used X5 which was financed at a higher rate by a dealership. He then immediately re-financed it for a lower rate. The dealership manager phoned him and was irate.

Rates are quite high here in Canada. Since I'm still (sigh) financing about $18k negative equity that is why my rate is a bit higher. I can't avoid that. Other options include getting something cheaper like an X4 M40i or maybe a demo X5. The current sales promotion for X5 ends tomorrow though so I need to make this decision rather quickly. I'm just waiting for paperwork.

My other concern was that the M850i is still going to depreciate faster than I'm paying it off. If I wait a year or two, the situation possibly is not going to be better, or could even be worse.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #71
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Maybe it's just me and my love of convertibles, but how do you go from an 850 convertible to an X5? To me, that's like saying "these shoes don't fit right, so I think I'll return them and buy a toaster."
Appreciate 3
snowbimmer5206.00
m3_08602.50
      10-20-2023, 10:43 PM   #72
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Maybe it's just me and my love of convertibles, but how do you go from an 850 convertible to an X5? To me, that's like saying "these shoes don't fit right, so I think I'll return them and buy a toaster."
🤣 Goddammit. That's funny. 🤣
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2023, 03:48 AM   #73
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
When I made an appointment, I asked them to open a case with BMW because it was an intermittent issue. I dropped the vehicle off friday and thought I was getting it back again by end of day after more troubleshooting. Instead, I was told one of the techs was going to drive the vehicle and I wasn't going to get it back until next week. That was unexpected, but I do want the issue identified and fixed.

I woke up early at 6am on Saturday and decided to see if my car was still at the dealership. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was at a golf course. It was there for 4 hours and then whoever was driving it was doing so top down. The car made stops at several destinations throughout the afternoon and then it was parked for the evening.

I mentioned this to the sales people on Satuday and they freaked out, saying that wasn't appropriate.

I'm just trying to get my car fixed, but at the same time I don't want other people driving it like they own it. The dealership trying to duplicate the issue does nothing except confirm what I have been saying has been happening. The guy driving it isn't going to have any magical insight where he will know what the problem is as soon as it happens. Driving the car for the weekend could be construed as taking advantage of a customer to enjoy their vehicle, especially when you're driving it top down to a golf course.

Rob
While understanding your anguish I had a Volvo S80 that had an intermittent fault that never happened when it was with the dealer. I agreed for them to use the car as a daily driver for one employee and after a few days sure enough the fault happened, leaving the employee stuck at the side of the road. The fault was identified - for the record it was a sticky stepper motor in the LPG system.

So while using for golf might seem a liberty it was getting some miles in.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 12:19 PM   #74
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
While understanding your anguish I had a Volvo S80 that had an intermittent fault that never happened when it was with the dealer. I agreed for them to use the car as a daily driver for one employee and after a few days sure enough the fault happened, leaving the employee stuck at the side of the road. The fault was identified - for the record it was a sticky stepper motor in the LPG system.

So while using for golf might seem a liberty it was getting some miles in.
Well, we did that and they had the car for a month. But it was obvious from the last visit that unless they could find a fault code they were not going to do much else any more. I have repeatedly asked for escalation which they (my dealership) said they were doing. The official BMW response was to say it's normal operation of the car because there are no fault codes. At that point I made the determination that BMW just wasn't addressing the issue. With no lemon laws here, there isn't anything else I can really do except get rid of the car. With the other issues, getting out while I can just seems the right thing to do.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 10-21-2023 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 12:35 PM   #75
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
The reason is that there is A LOT of bad experience with the car. It got backed into and later on sideswiped. The following repair process was a nightmare with poor paint (metallic) match and missing parts. I still don't like the match, but don't trust the body shop to do any better. I cannot take it elsewhere because the repair claim is with the BMW autobody shop. Then there's the collision avoidance defect which I have been unable to get repaired. It's been there over a year and I'm tired of it happening. Finally there is the depreciation factor on this car. The trade I got plus incentives meant I was losing only $10k - so it's my opportunity to escape this car. Another dealership just offered me $30k Cdn less trade value yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, I love convertibles! But I still prefer the roadster experience like a Z4, not an M850i. Maybe one day I will have another Z4.

The X5 is about luxury. I'm generally not an SUV fan, but I do really like the X5 and X6 vehicles. I don't care about not having a V8 either. I think the I6 B58 is a great engine!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #76
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't know this until recently:

Dealers sometimes increase interest rates because they get kickbacks from the lenders (banks) if the financing rate is higher. I think it's a shady business practice because you would expect that they are trying to get the best rate for you while instead they are stuffing their pockets at your expense. Some dealerships will advertise a financed price online, but then state to contact them for the 'cash price'. I've even heard of some dealerships only selling (used only?) if it's financed, not cash.
The irony is my Dad taught me through watching him negotiate cars when I was a kid to negotiate the price period. Then if applicable the trade-in and finally financing (which he never did as he was a buy and hold 15+ years per car).

Quote:
A friend bought a used X5 which was financed at a higher rate by a dealership. He then immediately re-financed it for a lower rate. The dealership manager phoned him and was irate.
Wow. Not sure about CA but financing consumer protection laws here in the US have included zero penalties for an early payoff for decades. I still can't beat the 3.99% on the wife's X5 LCI via my credit union and other sources. If I could I'd refinance it in a heartbeat as I put $57K down so we have more equity in the X5 than the outstanding loan. Had to do that so my wife could make the payments on her underpaid teachers salary.

Quote:
Rates are quite high here in Canada. Since I'm still (sigh) financing about $18k negative equity that is why my rate is a bit higher. I can't avoid that. Other options include getting something cheaper like an X4 M40i or maybe a demo X5. The current sales promotion for X5 ends tomorrow though so I need to make this decision rather quickly. I'm just waiting for paperwork.
Best of luck with your decision. 👍

Quote:
My other concern was that the M850i is still going to depreciate faster than I'm paying it off. If I wait a year or two, the situation possibly is not going to be better, or could even be worse.
It's a forgone conclusion that any M850i is a depreciating shit show at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 03:06 PM   #77
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The X5 is about luxury. I'm generally not an SUV fan, but I do really like the X5 and X6 vehicles. I don't care about not having a V8 either. I think the I6 B58 is a great engine!
You can't go wrong from that perspective as even the wife's original 2017 X5 was luxurious no questions asked. The LCI's are obviously as well although I disagree with some of the changes they made with the dash, e.g., the metallic >>>>>>>X5 strip that lights up via the ambient lighting. I'd prefer that to be all wood just like the pre LCI's as much nicer and hell I don't need a constant reminder I bought a X5. WTF? I know I did. 😜
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #78
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
You can't go wrong from that perspective as even the wife's original 2017 X5 was luxurious no questions asked. The LCI's are obviously as well although I disagree with some of the changes they made with the dash, e.g., the metallic >>>>>>>X5 strip that lights up via the ambient lighting. I'd prefer that to be all wood just like the pre LCI's as much nicer and hell I don't need a constant reminder I bought a X5. WTF? I know I did. 😜
The deed is done! No more M850i. I can't express how much relief I have felt the past few days knowing that car would be gone.

I would disagree with some of the changes they made too, but the overall scope is still better. ID8 climate controls do suck, but will be much better with ID8.5. I don't mind the widescreen any more, a person quickly gets used to it.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Seaford1147.50
      10-21-2023, 09:48 PM   #79
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
It's a forgone conclusion that any M850i is a depreciating shit show at this point.
Hey. I resemble that remark🤣
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2023, 07:44 AM   #80
tstires
Rep
Drives: 23 850i GC,24 X5 40i,Supra GR

Quote:
The deed is done! No more M850i. I can't express how much relief I have felt the past few days knowing that car would be gone.

I would disagree with some of the changes they made too, but the overall scope is still better. ID8 climate controls do suck, but will be much better with ID8.5. I don't mind the widescreen any more, a person quickly gets used to it.

Rob
Congrats on the new X5. I have a 2023 M850 GC and just bought a 2024 X5 40i. Really surprised how quick the V6 in the X5 feels. Mine came with the new 8.5 software revision and the climate controls are sticky on the main screen so no issue with not having physical buttons. Would be nice to be able to customize the home dashboard screen but not a deal breaker as all needed controls are readily accessible in 8.5. Best of luck with your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 05:07 PM   #81
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstires View Post
Congrats on the new X5. I have a 2023 M850 GC and just bought a 2024 X5 40i. Really surprised how quick the V6 in the X5 feels. Mine came with the new 8.5 software revision and the climate controls are sticky on the main screen so no issue with not having physical buttons. Would be nice to be able to customize the home dashboard screen but not a deal breaker as all needed controls are readily accessible in 8.5. Best of luck with your new ride!
From my understanding of iD8.5 so far the home screen is basically full size map, full size media and a couple of other options. The rest of the "widgets" are now quick actions one scrolls through (up/down) on the left. Problem being those are not customizable for order, etc.

My challenge is the wife had iD6 in the old X5 and had split screen with media and clock as the widgets. Became a requirement for the new X5 with at least iD8 supports and given the screen size added the map widget as well. If I upgrade to 8.5 best I could do now is media full screen and then hear all the complaints on where the clock widget went. 😜
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:14 AM   #82
tstires
Rep
Drives: 23 850i GC,24 X5 40i,Supra GR

Quote:
From my understanding of iD8.5 so far the home screen is basically full size map, full size media and a couple of other options. The rest of the "widgets" are now quick actions one scrolls through (up/down) on the left. Problem being those are not customizable for order, etc.

My challenge is the wife had iD6 in the old X5 and had split screen with media and clock as the widgets. Became a requirement for the new X5 with at least iD8 supports and given the screen size added the map widget as well. If I upgrade to 8.5 best I could do now is media full screen and then hear all the complaints on where the clock widget went. 😜
You ptretty much captured the 8.5 interface with the added benefit that all climate controls are sticky on the bottom of the screen all the time (apparently in 8.0 you had to delve into menus to get to them)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:16 PM   #83
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstires View Post
You ptretty much captured the 8.5 interface with the added benefit that all climate controls are sticky on the bottom of the screen all the time (apparently in 8.0 you had to delve into menus to get to them)
Thanks for the confirmation. At least with iD8 the primary cabin temperature controls are omnipresent on the home screen. The head scratcher is that there is no equivalent of the climate control app in iD7 or buried in the iD8 climate or seat control settings I can find to automatically heat the seats, steering wheel, etc at 50 degrees or turn on the ventilated seats at 80 degrees.

At least here in Phoenix turning on the heated seats, etc. is not a requirement for the most part and the ventilated seats are okay but not a true value add. I've set the climate control app in iD7 on the M850i 3 years back and never have even touched the cabin temperature (just leave it at 75) so was hoping for a similar solution in iD8.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:07 AM   #84
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Just to follow up. It is almost 6 months later and my old M850i is still sitting on the dealer lot in Calgary. They have now discounted it over $16k and are losing at least $10k compared to what they gave me for it ($110k). Prices are Canadian.

The X5 40i which I have now has been good. Oddly enough it had a radar sensor failure although that was quickly fixed. No fucking sudden swerving while driving thank god!

I look back and yes I miss the car, but then I remember the nightmare I had with everything that went on and remind myself I made the right choice. I just wish I was not so upside down with this X5 at the moment.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:03 AM   #85
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

I know that sometimes the actual paint can be the cause . Please check more into this.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:28 PM   #86
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulent Ali View Post
I know that sometimes the actual paint can be the cause . Please check more into this.
Only individual paints do not support Line change assistance.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 08:47 AM   #87
danibear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S6 2022

Quote:
Just to follow up. It is almost 6 months later and my old M850i is still sitting on the dealer lot in Calgary. They have now discounted it over $16k and are losing at least $10k compared to what they gave me for it ($110k). Prices are Canadian.

The X5 40i which I have now has been good. Oddly enough it had a radar sensor failure although that was quickly fixed. No fucking sudden swerving while driving thank god!

I look back and yes I miss the car, but then I remember the nightmare I had with everything that went on and remind myself I made the right choice. I just wish I was not so upside down with this X5 at the moment.

Rob

9% financial rate! What a hell?!!!

Is that because 96 month term? Or Canada price?

What’s the rate for like 36 month or 60 month?
Appreciate 0