M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Audio settings for HK system

03-19-2022, 12:26 AM   #1
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Audio settings for HK system

I’ve searched for this but could not find: does anyone have suggestions or recommendations for HK sound / audio settings?

For the base system therefore I am not looking for coding, sub upgrades or for B&W suggestions.

Anyone got the HK configured to where they love it?
Appreciate 1
AYSV26.50
      03-19-2022, 07:56 AM   #2
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Would be nice if someone can also share their favourite equalizer settings for b&w
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 08:33 AM   #3
germanroots
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
I’ve searched for this but could not find: does anyone have suggestions or recommendations for HK sound / audio settings?

For the base system therefore I am not looking for coding, sub upgrades or for B&W suggestions.

Anyone got the HK configured to where they love it?
I'm not an audiophile, but I've asked this question before. The answer is….don't do anything. Leave the settings in their default position to enjoy the music as it was recorded for optimal sound. Anything beyond that is personal preference.
      03-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
Would be nice if someone can also share their favourite equalizer settings for b&w
You can search for audio settings and you will find a few discussions on coding changes, sub upgrades and B&W settings.

Checkout posts by Mystro and Bloozeman for example. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26766185

But I’m looking for what people are recommending for the base Harmon Kardon 16 speaker setup. What general settings and EQ settings for HK do people like?
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanroots View Post
I'm not an audiophile, but I've asked this question before. The answer is….don't do anything. Leave the settings in their default position to enjoy the music as it was recorded for optimal sound. Anything beyond that is personal preference.
Well I guess it’s always personal preference isn’t it? But surely some ‘expert’ in here has a reco? Unless all the experts either got B&W and/or custom upgraded of course!

There are lots of YouTube videos with BMW HK suggestions but nothing specifically for the 8 series and also, for some (naive?) reason, I was hoping that people in this forum would be more knowledgeable than some unknown YouTuber. Could be wishful thinking..

My biggest beef is the apparent weakness of sub bass. So maybe I’m doing something wrong other than cranking up the bass.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 06:09 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I have HK in my wife's 2017 X5 and have dialed in the settings for the best audio experience. However, there may be differences in the 2017 HK vs current and even if not obviously a cabin differential between the X5 and a 8-series. Happy to share my X5 HK config if anyone is interested but YMMV vs it and a 8-series.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
Well I guess it’s always personal preference isn’t it? But surely some ‘expert’ in here has a reco? Unless all the experts either got B&W and/or custom upgraded of course!

There are lots of YouTube videos with BMW HK suggestions but nothing specifically for the 8 series and also, for some (naive?) reason, I was hoping that people in this forum would be more knowledgeable than some unknown YouTuber. Could be wishful thinking..

My biggest beef is the apparent weakness of sub bass. So maybe I’m doing something wrong other than cranking up the bass.
LOL as I'm way more knowledgeable in the audio world than 95% of the YouTubers. However, as just posted the HK in my household is a X5 and the settings are for it's cabin size vs an 8-series.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 06:16 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
I have posted several times on starting points for B&W configurations. They are starting points as I have a coupe and if you have a GC than YMMV given the cabin size differential.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
ikonn do you have a coupe/convertible or a GC? Just checked and my dealer has a few of each on their lot. I can find the time this week to do a HK config based on some high resolution FLAC sources off a thumb drive but just need to know what you have to make it apples to apples vs apples to oranges. Always happy to pay back all the lessons I've learned off this forum in any way possible.
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      03-20-2022, 06:25 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
FYI sub bass wise you may need to do a minor upgrade with Bavsound subs but I'll give it a shot with stock once I know your 8-series variant.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanroots View Post
No offense but the worst advice possible. Reason being with a HK by default it will do Logic 7 surround sound which is not what the source is or in your statement "enjoy the music as it was recorded". First thing I turned off on the wife's X5 was Logic 7 as it completely ruins the actual source mix.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 10:38 PM   #12
germanroots
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "germanroots;28705187"
No offense but the worst advice possible. Reason being with a HK by default it will do Logic 7 surround sound which is not what the source is or in your statement "enjoy the music as it was recorded". First thing I turned off on the wife's X5 was Logic 7 as it completely ruins the actual source mix.
Great point. Didn't realize it defaults to Logic 7. Was really only referring to EQ setting…which is sound advice.
      03-21-2022, 12:24 AM   #13
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ikonn do you have a coupe/convertible or a GC? Just checked and my dealer has a few of each on their lot. I can find the time this week to do a HK config based on some high resolution FLAC sources off a thumb drive but just need to know what you have to make it apples to apples vs apples to oranges. Always happy to pay back all the lessons I've learned off this forum in any way possible.

It’s a coupe Bloozeman. Would love to hear your reco!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #14
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
FYI sub bass wise you may need to do a minor upgrade with Bavsound subs but I'll give it a shot with stock once I know your 8-series variant.
The Bavsound subs require switching out or adding new amps?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #15
autobahnscott
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Convertible

From what I've read it's just a replacement of the stock sub and amp stays the same. The actual swap seems to he a little hard since it involves ungluing the original from a bracket under the seat
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 01:32 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnscott View Post
From what I've read it's just a replacement of the stock sub and amp stays the same. The actual swap seems to he a little hard since it involves ungluing the original from a bracket under the seat

Correct, i.e., just a higher performing sub than stock HK. Oddly at some point some rocket scientist at BMW thought it was a good idea to glue the subs into the bracket. Bavsound will call that out depending on the model (all new ones due so) via a notice that a glue gun/heat is required.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      03-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Also worth noting I haven't come across an amp upgrade for HK on iDrive 7 as with the latter BMW moved to OBAR as the interface vs MOST with iDrive 7. So case in point the Bavsound amp will not show up as an option for any iDrive 7 vs will for iDrive 6.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 12:30 PM   #18
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "germanroots;28705187"
100% correct - the L7 is actually detrimental to the systems performance. The key is as I've mentioned before, is to let the system get run in properly (if the car is new), and take the time to setup the EQ properly to your music taste.

I have the two bass frequencies set higher, the vocal / mid frequencies pulled down slightly (this is actually key to listening to stuff like vocal rock to get the bass tones through properly), and the treble frequencies up slightly - the EQ curve almost looks like a banana on its side. Set up this way, it's pretty good for rock, heavy metal, and trance / dance which I listen to the most.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2022, 06:01 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
100% correct - the L7 is actually detrimental to the systems performance. The key is as I've mentioned before, is to let the system get run in properly (if the car is new), and take the time to setup the EQ properly to your music taste.

I have the two bass frequencies set higher, the vocal / mid frequencies pulled down slightly (this is actually key to listening to stuff like vocal rock to get the bass tones through properly), and the treble frequencies up slightly - the EQ curve almost looks like a banana on its side. Set up this way, it's pretty good for rock, heavy metal, and trance / dance which I listen to the most.
First thing I did was turn off Logic 7 on the wife's X5. That said my only disappointment with the B&W is the fact you can't negate its DSP at all. Gut feeling said "studio" would be the most accurate to a true stereo source but ultimately I landed elsewhere as both stereo sources and my 5.1 sources plus EQ and trim all work best on "concert".
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 06:10 PM   #20
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

A little off topic here, but any idea how upgrading the stock HK with all of the BavSound speakers compares to the B&W?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
A little off topic here, but any idea how upgrading the stock HK with all of the BavSound speakers compares to the B&W?
Hard to say as there is more to it than just the speakers and the B&W ones are sourced from their 800 series which are phenomenal in themselves. That said I'd expect a significant improvement as the friend that turned me on to Bavsound redid his HK in the 2017 650i he has and it sounds great. One caveat is he also did the Bavsound amp as well which doesn't apply to the 8-series (or any other iDrive 7 based car).

He was arguing I should just go with HK and do the Bavsound upgrade. However, after demoing the B&W I scratched that idea completely. 🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 06:53 PM   #22
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
I'd expect any good aftermarket upgrade to be ahead of factory fit all day long, even at B&W level. The stuff I used to fit when I was younger, you could get a really good quality install for around £2/2.5k, which is give or take half the price of B&W and when setup correctly was absolutely first class. You're never going to get first rate audio in a car anyway, as the acoustics are not conducive to a good audio experience. Actually half the battle in getting any system to sound good in a car is sound deadening - I used to put it anywhere it would go in installs, and used to make the world of difference. Another issue is where the subwoofers sit in any factory fit BMW - under the seats is not ideal at all. I heard the HK in the new i4 last week and it sounds miles better than it's non EV equivalents as the Sub sits in the boot in an enclosure.
Appreciate 0