M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Thoughts on my new 2022 m850 Convertible...

11-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Thoughts on my new 2022 m850 Convertible...

After a fair amount of delay, I received my car about a week and half ago, and while I haven't had any drives longer than 30-40 minutes, I thought I'd post some commentary and observations. I won't call it a review, as it isn't going to be as extensive as a review should be, but hopefully it covers some points of interest for those in the market.

The Car: 2022 m850 convertible, Dravit Gray over Fiona Red/Black w/Ash Grain Metallic Wood trim. All options except the M Carbon Exterior package.

Updates: Continental non-run flat All Season tires; Xpel ceramic window tint & Arctic Ceramic Coating (performed by APC in Waldwick NJ - see Anthony or Anthony Jr if you are interested and in the area, great guys and a very busy shop); and IND painted front reflectors

Previous Car: X7 40i
Previous Previous Car: 750
Previous Previous Previous Car: 650 vert
Previous Previous Previous Previous Car: 750

Initial Impressions: Visually, the color combination (recommended by my son) is something I likely wouldn't have picked on my own, but my trust was well placed. The finish takes on various looks depending upon time of day and sunlight, especially with the embedded gold flake. The Fiona red is not as bold as the web site would make you believe, and it all works extremely well.

However, the optimal interior color might be Midrand Beige, (only available on the M8 Competition however); if the color is close to what I see on the web, it may very well compliment the gold flake better than anything.

The drive of the car is very good, though the car could afford to lose 300-500 pounds to impart a more spritely feel. Sports mode acceleration is excellent, with no discernible turbo lag, and nice burbling (real and/or enhanced). Steering is very responsive, and corning as tested thus far is quite huggy (though push it an you will feel the extra poundage defining inertia in real time for you).

The car should be made available with non run flats, as the after-markets I put on noticeably improved road comfort. Still, given the shit roads we have in the northeast, I think the Comfort mode tuning could be even more forgiving than it is.

Interior Comfort: It's good, but here I would ding BMW a point or so in a few areas. First, the seats on this car should be 18 way with massage option. For a touring style car, you want maximum adjustability and comfort). Padding throughout is meager. Not only could th seat offer better cushioning, but the door and center armrests are quite thinly padded, and even things like the door handles could have some padding so it didn't feel like naked leather glued to aluminum (the door handles should feel like the steering wheel; taut, but with some give forgiveness you your grip.

Additional padding would feel more appropriate for a $120k MSRP car, but would also help with improving sound attenuation I think, depending on how and where applied.

I'm 5'11'' and 190, and wouldn't mind a scoutch more width to the seat pan and back, but its not terrible. Much bigger, I'm not sure how one might feel...

Interior Appointment: Overall, very nice fit and finish. The iDrive screen could be bigger and a slight redesign of the housing would fix that easily (and probably then match the other iDrive screen sizes, making it easier for BMW to source

The car is fairly quiet for a vert, though driving under an overpass expectedly reminds you of your roof choice.

Not sure if this is an interior/exterior comments as it lies in between, but the door hangs should absolutely be infinite-position hinges (or whoever the correct term is), not two-position. The door is large, swings out wide, and I am constantly battling it from closing back on me, especially when not on level ground.. I ding BMW for this as well.

I also got a $250 credit because they did not have the parts for wireless charging. Which is a good thing too, because the opening is so tight (iPhone 13 Pro Max), and so inconveniently located behind the cup holders, that I would be cursing a lot more if I were able to use it.

The car supports BMW digital key, which is ok in a pinch, but again, you need to place your phone in the charing tray to complete the car start. I can unlock with my iPhone or Apple Watch, though the Watch is hit or miss at the moment. The other thing is you need plan for when you're going to be parking with a valet, and bring your physical key, else you are out of luck. It would be nice if the digital valet feature could incorporate keyless driving for an 1/8 or a mile radius on your request (via PIN for security) to get around this...

Audio: The Bowers and Wilkins audio sounds better to me than the m850 tester Harmon Kardon, but doesn't sound better than the H&K that was in my x7. At the moment, I take this to be the appreciable difference in interior cabin space helping create a better soundfield. But despite the face that its a vert, I played music very familiar to me, and was hearing things I did not really hear before.

Apple CarPlay integration is great, and you still get one year for Sirius XM, and it still sounds as shitty as ever.

So on a scale of 0-10, I deduct:

1.5 points for interior negatives; seating, padding, iDrive screen
1 point for the run flat tires, overall weight, and comfort mode tuning

Leaving me, at the moment, with a 7.5 out of 10

Any questions, let me know

Below are some photos (mostly new posts, though a few from my order thread)
Attached Images

Last edited by Thrangster; 11-23-2021 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 10
stuggy132.50
c12h231.00
Ozzie8641.00
Tenac4538.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
cfm56d7b5886.00
sullic72.00
      11-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

Amazing
Appreciate 1
zdbmw46.00
      11-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Thanks for taking the time to send us your thoughts. It's always interesting to read new owner first impressions as it brings back memories for all of us.

I agree on the seats. That was one of the disappointments for me too, as I thought the seats in my 6erGC which preceded my 850C were better. That's not to say the 850 seats are uncomfortable, I've done the 10 hour continuous road trips and the car is a joy. Just a missed opportunity.
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      11-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to send us your thoughts. It's always interesting to read new owner first impressions as it brings back memories for all of us.

I agree on the seats. That was one of the disappointments for me too, as I thought the seats in my 6erGC which preceded my 850C were better. That's not to say the 850 seats are uncomfortable, I've done the 10 hour continuous road trips and the car is a joy. Just a missed opportunity.
Yes, it’s been a while since my 6, but I sort of recall them as being a bit more comfortable - given I was 70 pounds heavier back then, they must have been a lot more comfortable!
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      11-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Hey Thrangster,
This is a great write-up and thanks for taking the time to document your initial impressions. I now have about 2000 miles on my '22 M850 Convertible and I wanted to add a few of my own observations in-line with your text:

Initial Impressions: Visually, the color combination (recommended by my son) is something I likely wouldn't have picked on my own, but my trust was well placed. The finish takes on various looks depending upon time of day and sunlight, (Absolutely agree - I have the Barcelona Blue and it changes noticeably as well depending on lighting) especially with the embedded gold flake. The Fiona red is not as bold as the web site would make you believe, and it all works extremely well.

However, the optimal interior color might be Midrand Beige, (only available on the M8 Competition however); if the color is close to what I see on the web, it may very well compliment the gold flake better than anything. (Well I have the Cognac interior and to me it is absolutely perfect - the color also looks expensive...)

The drive of the car is very good, though the car could afford to lose 300-500 pounds (AGREE!) to impart a more spritely feel. Sports mode acceleration is excellent, with no discernible turbo lag, and nice burbling (real and/or enhanced). Steering is very responsive, and corning as tested thus far is quite huggy (though push it an you will feel the extra poundage defining inertia in real time for you).

The car should be made available with non run flats, as the after-markets I put on noticeably improved road comfort. (Yep - I took off the Pirelli UHP Summers and shod it with a set of Vredestein tires - what a bargain set and greatly improved ride comfort) Still, given the shit roads we have in the northeast, I think the Comfort mode tuning could be even more forgiving than it is.

Interior Comfort: It's good, but here I would ding BMW a point or so in a few areas. First, the seats on this car should be 18 way with massage option. (I so miss the 18 way and massaging seats of my '18 M550) For a touring style car, you want maximum adjustability and comfort). Padding throughout is meager. Not only could th seat offer better cushioning, but the door and center armrests are quite thinly padded, (Fun fact! Did you know that these surfaces are heated?) and even things like the door handles could have some padding so it didn't feel like naked leather glued to aluminum (the door handles should feel like the steering wheel; taut, but with some give forgiveness you your grip.

Additional padding would feel more appropriate for a $120k MSRP car, but would also help with improving sound attenuation I think, depending on how and where applied.

I'm 5'11'' and 190, and wouldn't mind a scoutch more width to the seat pan and back, but its not terrible. Much bigger, I'm not sure how one might feel...

Interior Appointment: Overall, very nice fit and finish. The iDrive screen could be bigger and a slight redesign of the housing would fix that easily (and probably then match the other iDrive screen sizes, making it easier for BMW to source

The car is fairly quiet for a vert, though driving under an overpass expectedly reminds you of your roof choice.

Not sure if this is an interior/exterior comments as it lies in between, but the door hangs should absolutely be infinite-position hinges (or whoever the correct term is), not two-position. The door is large, swings out wide, and I am constantly battling it from closing back on me, especially when not on level ground.. I ding BMW for this as well.

I also got a $250 credit because they did not have the parts for wireless charging. Which is a good thing too, because the opening is so tight (iPhone 13 Pro Max), and so inconveniently located behind the cup holders, that I would be cursing a lot more if I were able to use it. (I did get the wireless charging and my iPhone 11 fits perfectly - it's a feature I would not want to do without TBH)

The car supports BMW digital key, which is ok in a pinch, but again, you need to place your phone in the charing tray to complete the car start. (Hunh - I actually haven't tried the digital key yet but will do so to see...) I can unlock with my iPhone or Apple Watch, though the Watch is hit or miss at the moment. The other thing is you need plan for when you're going to be parking with a valet, and bring your physical key, else you are out of luck. It would be nice if the digital valet feature could incorporate keyless driving for an 1/8 or a mile radius on your request (via PIN for security) to get around this...

Audio: The Bowers and Wilkins audio sounds better to me than the m850 tester Harmon Kardon, but doesn't sound better than the H&K that was in my x7. At the moment, I take this to be the appreciable difference in interior cabin space helping create a better soundfield. But despite the face that its a vert, I played music very familiar to me, and was hearing things I did not really hear before.

Apple CarPlay integration is great, and you still get one year for Sirius XM, and it still sounds as shitty as ever.

Now you need to update your impressions post with some top-down driving experience! I think BMW did an incredible job with the wind deflector and I have driven the car at 80 mph and there was absolutely no wind buffeting inside the cabin whatsoever except for the very top of my head. Note - all windows were up at the speed. And, if you haven't yet driven through a tunnel in sport+ mode and floored it, you're missing out on a fantastic sonic auditory experience! Speaking of the top - I use one of those sticky lint rollers to pull dust etc. from the fabric top, and I also bought the water repellent solution from BMW to maintain it. Another little tip - keep a Swiffer duster in the garage to occasionally wipe the dust off the interior. Last observation - this iteration of the autonomous driving (below 40 mph) is really good - I would call it very near to full self driving...it works amazingly well in traffic but it's tricky to engage. Hope you enjoy many miles of top down driving smiles!
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      11-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Nice car. Nice 'hood. My thoughts went to looking for Tony Soprano in the background. Then I saw your profile was New Jersey. Lol.

I test drove an 850 a few months ago. Concur that the seats are a tad narrow and could use a bit more cushion. How hard is that, BMW? A bit more foam wouldn't kill anybody.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
gkgeiger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i, '23 Z4 M40i order

I’ve had my M850 vert since June. I like almost everything about it, except the exhaust sound. To me it sounds like a 1/2 ton pickup with dual exhaust. Since I don’t modify my cars I guess I’ll just have to live with it until I replace. Maybe a Z06 is in my future.
      12-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Phenomenal car. The interior deserves its own showroom. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #9
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I’ve had my M850 vert since June. I like almost everything about it, except the exhaust sound. To me it sounds like a 1/2 ton pickup with dual exhaust. Since I don’t modify my cars I guess I’ll just have to live with it until I replace. Maybe a Z06 is in my future.
I thought there was a setting somewhere to adjust the “faked” sound if that’s what your referring to? But yes my wife is not a fan of the sports mode burble. When I run in Adaptive there is much less…
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:45 PM   #10
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Road noise??????
Tempted …. My 7 is too loud now…. Makes me tired.
Be honest??
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:48 AM   #11
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

It should be more comfortable than the 5 series based on the price, but those good looks give it major point$
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:57 AM   #12
brlawyer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 840d Gran Coupé (G16)

I’ve asked a broader question in a separate thread, but will ask here anyway:

- Since I already have a GC, would it make sense to have an 8-series cabrio as well, at least as far as overall size is concerned? Or is it almost as big as a GC?

- what’s the cabin noise level like with the top down? Is the tissue used strong enough for the elements?
Appreciate 0