M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Warranty and Ghost Immobiliser

03-18-2024, 08:08 PM   #23
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Exactly why I have a CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit. I've joked that the back seat of my M850i is good for a box of Kleenex, an Adams Double Soft (dust the iDrive and console) and the sun visor. But in reality it has a SIG Sauer .40 caliber p226 ready to go at all times in an easy arms length (helps if you are 6'6" tall). They can take the car for all I care but I'm driving around with other assets that can buy the car 2 to 5X and do not depreciate but rather appreciate.
Well I'm not sue if your lucky or not with that privilege. The other guy might have one too.
Try that in Canada and your under more scrutiny than the perpetrator. Legal hand gun ownership here is highly restricted. If you trap beavers you can carry one. Seriously...true. Any trapper. Otherwise your in huge trouble. Unless your a punk kid who gets in less trouble than a legal owner. Pretty much true.
If you get caught here with a handgun loaded in your car you might as well rob a store. Cuz you in about the same amount of shit. It's pretty uncommon to hear of anyone legal carrying here. Penalties are TOO steep.
To be clear, these are the big furry one's. Not the smaller pet-able cousins we all like.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:12 PM   #24
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Sadly everywhere for the most part.

Ah the irony as I have a Ridge wallet (technically a card holder and $ clip) for that exact reason. To your point if someone is actively following you then yes they can do a replay attack while your 8-series is in the parking lot while you are in Starbucks and within the 40 feet distance required.

They don't clone the fob per se. But they can steal info from a credit cards magnetic strip which is a gold mine of data if they pull it off.
Yes I use a card protect or wallet thingy for my cards as well. I actually never carry my credit cards unless I know i'll need it. My debit card work well enough for most reasonable purchases.
I actually use this little device. Super easy to flick your card out and spend away. Makes ya feel like a secret agent it....flicks so easy.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:45 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Well I'm not sue if your lucky or not with that privilege. The other guy might have one too.
Understood and why the avenue of last resort whatsoever. As stated I'll gladly give them the car as that is what they'll be focusing on. Want more and that is where the situational dependencies come into play. I'm well versed in the law regardless of the CCW.

Quote:
Try that in Canada and your under more scrutiny than the perpetrator. Legal hand gun ownership here is highly restricted. If you trap beavers you can carry one.
Arizona is (I hate to say it) still living in the wild wild west. To the point that laws were passed that concealed carry doesn't even require a permit anymore. But the CCW provides different allowances than the straight up right to carry concealed (open carry is fully legal in AZ). One such allowance is for when I have it to drop off or pick up my wife at her school. As long as the gun is in the car fair game otherwise party foul.

There was a bill passed last year that even allows parents of a student with a CCW to take it onto campus. Somewhat rubbed me the wrong way but hey once again it's the wild wild west here in AZ.

Quote:
If you get caught here with a handgun loaded in your car you might as well rob a store. Cuz you in about the same amount of shit. It's pretty uncommon to hear of anyone legal carrying here. Penalties are TOO steep.
Not here in AZ. You don't even need the permit whatsoever but without it the waters get muddy, e.g., a school zone. If in a case then one is pretty much golden with or without the permit outside of a school zone and a few other situations.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #26
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Understood and why the avenue of last resort whatsoever. As stated I'll gladly give them the car as that is what they'll be focusing on. Want more and that is where the situational dependencies come into play. I'm well versed in the law regardless of the CCW.

Arizona is the (I hate to say it) still the wild wild west. To the point that laws were passed that concealed carry doesn't even require a permit anymore. But the CCW provides different allowances than the straight up right to carry concealed (open carry is fully legal in AZ). One such allowance is for when I have it to drop off or pick up my wife at her school. As long as the gun is in the car fair game otherwise part foul.

There was a bill passed last year that even allows parents of a student with a CCW to take it onto campus. Somewhat rubbed me the wrong way but hey once again it's the wild wild west here in AZ.

Not here in AZ. You don't even need the permit whatsoever but without it the waters get muddy, e.g., a school zone. If in a case then one is pretty much golden with or without the permit outside of a school zone and a few other situations.
Amazing.......and crazy at the same time. We are SO different here.
Even protecting yourself with a gun is highly frowned upon here and will get you ass f#$ked down at the police station. Once they're done with the run-aways.
Even if they kick your door in your supposed to cower in the corner before open firing. That's only ok for the cops.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:18 AM   #27
mattgod69
Rep
Drives: 840i Grand Coupe

Thanks for all your comments here guys.... firearms and the like are a great idea (lol) but are not suitable for us in the uk!! We can't even have a knife! Seriously though, i'm still not really sure whether to get this done, I don't want to invalidate the warranty... the car is only 9 months old.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:58 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgod69 View Post
Thanks for all your comments here guys.... firearms and the like are a great idea (lol) but are not suitable for us in the uk!! We can't even have a knife! Seriously though, i'm still not really sure whether to get this done, I don't want to invalidate the warranty... the car is only 9 months old.
After all the discourse and somewhat driving (pun intended) off topic (guilty as charged ) you have two options. 1 trust the fob which does go to sleep within 5 minutes or as others have pointed out for additional piece of mind get a faraday box/pouch. I personally wouldn't mess with anything that could impact your warranty whatsoever.

That said for some additional piece of mind if the car is garaged you can start with this Ring alarm system which is super easy to set up for £159.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page...d&ref_=ast_bln

If garaged then just add one of these stickup cams within the garage (battery lasts 9 months easy and then just recharge).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ring-stick-..._dp&th=1&psc=1

What is interesting is now UK Ring offers a garage door sensor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alarm-Garag...870616&sr=8-21

They didn't 2 years back so I went with MyQ that integrates plus it allows you to open/close the garage door remotely via their mobile app. It's saved my sanity everytime I leave the house in a rush and then ask myself "did I close the garage door?" 😜
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:46 PM   #29
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:

They didn't 2 years back so I went with MyQ that integrates plus it allows you to open/close the garage door remotely via their mobile app. It's saved my sanity every time I leave the house in a rush and then ask myself "did I close the garage door?" 😜
I have a few of those MyQ's as well. Works perfect. Great device for all you said.
I had one on my Elderly Mother's house. It was very handy to make sure her garage door was closed. Also the log of opening and closing is a nice useful feature.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 02:56 PM   #30
Carlito_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgod69 View Post
In the UK no issue. Car has been in for its run in service with no drama either, just popped it into service mode.

https://www.sasmobile.co.uk/tech-sup...les%20warranty.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 03:53 PM   #31
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito_UK View Post
In the UK no issue. Car has been in for its run in service with no drama either, just popped it into service mode.

https://www.sasmobile.co.uk/tech-sup...es%20warranty.
So now multiple paths but I'm a big believer (the world I live in professionally) for multiple layers of defense. 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:30 AM   #32
Carlito_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
So now multiple paths but I'm a big believer (the world I live in professionally) for multiple layers of defense. 👍
Car is parked in the garage, but I can tell you, I don't feel as stressed when the car is parked somewhere when I am out and about. I had it on my M4 as well which used to be parked in the driveway at our old place and I slept much better at night knowing that I had the Ghost installed. Had quite a few chancers walking around with antennas trying relay attacks.
Appreciate 1