M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Suggestions for a newer used convertible?

03-19-2024, 07:43 AM   #1
brlawyer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 840d Gran Coupé (G16)

Suggestions for a newer used convertible?

Guys,

I have been enjoying my wonderful Volvo C70 for some 15 years now (with almost 300k kilometers on it and virtually zero problems). Yet it may be time to finally replace it with something newer, since even normal maintenance starts to get expensive.

Problem is: with a larger family now, I cannot just buy a 2-seater convertible - it has to have four seats at least. And where I live, AWD is basically a requirement to avoid skidding - also I am not a big fan of soft tops, though I realize that their reliability has improved a lot in the last decades.

So what are my options here? Just BMW and Mercedes? Which ones? Is there a AWD cabrio Maserati, for instance? Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
b51
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Comp Convertible

I have a Maserati gran turismo coupe and just bought a 2022 m8 comp convertible. I was in a similar pridicament, looking for a 4 seater convertible my kids could fit in.
The older Maserati GT are rwd, the new one is awd. Options I looked at: M4, M8, Lexus LC500, older Mercedes S; didn’t want another Maserati or the Mercedes E53 but could have. Lexus was my favorite but felt too small and was rwd, Mercedes S stopped being built in 2020, so really came down to M8 or M4 for me.

Went with a cpo M8, decent value, good performance, 3+ years of warranty, and enough space. Any/all of these cars are going to cost a lot to maintain as they get out of warranty (excl Lexus), will make a Volvo look affordable (on our 3rd), so if that’s a concern look I would look at the more “normal” versions.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:28 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I just bought an Audi A5 to replace a 650 convertible. Neither a 650 or an 8 will seat 4 unless all 4 are Danny DeVito. The Audi is 8" shorter overall, but clearly has more rear set leg room.
Appreciate 1
m3_08602.50