M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW 8 Series Alloys!

02-07-2024, 06:59 AM   #1
mattgod69
Rep
Drives: 840i Grand Coupe

BMW 8 Series Alloys!

Hi, I have a 2021 8 series 840i and I have just had the car inspected as it is coming to the end of the PCP and warranty etc. This inspection showed that one of the wheels has a crack on the inner rim. There is no kerbing damage at all to the wheel. This is also a small bit of corrosion on one of the other wheels. Has anyone had any experiences with the alloys on these cars.... will BMW assist under the warranty? Many thanks for any comments.

Last edited by mattgod69; 02-07-2024 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:12 AM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgod69 View Post
Hi, I have a 2021 8 series 840i and i have just had the car inspected as it is coming to the end of the PCP and warranty etc. This inspection showed that one of the wheels has a crack on the inner rim. There is not kerbing damage at all to the wheel. This is also a small bit of corrosion on one of the other wheels. Has anyone had any experiences with the alloys on these cars.... will BMW assist under the warranty? Many thanks for many comments.
Mine have been absolutely fine in a similar coastal environment…other than a couple of kerb rashes…..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 03:21 PM   #3
BMWFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix

Garage List
I had a 2012 Activehybrid7 i bought it used after awhile i realize both rims on the passenger side had airline cracks in them, Then last year i bought a set of used OEM 437 wheels for 650i and one had a crack in it good thing the seller gave me a full refund. I recently purchase a M850GC and im consider replacing the OEM wheels with some Forge wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:56 AM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

You’ll be very lucky. BMW can easily say it’s been an impact, and diamond cut wheels are prone to lacquer peel and white worm. Depends how nice your dealer is!
Appreciate 1
BMWFC28.50
      02-09-2024, 02:09 PM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hi, I have a 2021 8 series 840i and I have just had the car inspected as it is coming to the end of the PCP and warranty etc. This inspection showed that one of the wheels has a crack on the inner rim. There is no kerbing damage at all to the wheel. This is also a small bit of corrosion on one of the other wheels. Has anyone had any experiences with the alloys on these cars.... will BMW assist under the warranty? Many thanks for any comments.
Incidentally…I don’t know what dealer you use but I thoroughly recommend the main dealer at Hailsham (A1 Group) - they have always looked after me brilliantly despite never having bought a car from them!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:53 PM   #6
mattgod69
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
Incidentally…I don’t know what dealer you use but I thoroughly recommend the main dealer at Hailsham (A1 Group) - they have always looked after me brilliantly despite never having bought a car from them!!
Thanks for the message.... this is the dealer I use!
Appreciate 1
Seaford1147.50
      02-22-2024, 10:28 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
For the crack, unlikely BMW will assist. You can try but they will likely blame road hazards / conditions for the damage.

For the corrosion, depends on where it is. Can you better describe the corrosion and possibly show a photo? The common location for corrosion on diamond cut wheels is at the center hub. Most times this corrosion is caused by tire techs who do not properly care for the center hub when mounting and balancing tires. It's imperative that the center hub not be dragged across the shaft of a wheel balancer or when applying a cone for balancing or when using a mounting machine. What often happens is the clear cost is damaged during the aforementioned processes and this starts the corrosion process.
      03-17-2024, 02:22 AM   #8
mattgod69
Rep

Hi everyone, but way of an update, in the end I managed to get my cracked alloy welded... which was great and got it through the mot. I sold the car and in the end gi m did nothing about the corroded alloys... I now have an 840i convertible!
Appreciate 0