M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 M8 Arm Rest Removal

12-24-2023, 06:27 PM   #1
f93_gc
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition Gran C

Garage List
2020 M8 Arm Rest Removal

My center console arm rest appears to
have a broken / lose spring. When i press the latch to open the center console / arm rest, the drive side opens fine, however the passenger side just slightly pops open but doesn’t fully swing open. I am assuming it’s a bad spring, is there any documentation on how to access the spring for the center console? Or maybe part number ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 07:03 AM   #2
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I had the same thing happen! The armrest heater also failed. No clue how to take off the armrest. Usually it starts with the back, taking off the vent for the back seats but that doesn't exist here.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

This is a fairly common issue on the 6 series, and there are several threads there about the repair. Repair is the best option unless you are very OCD or wealthy because the doors with springs come as a full assembly that will cost around $1,000 for your car ( I just looked). As for removal, it's not hard. As is common for BMW's repair instructions, the photos are not of your car, but appear to be a 6 GC. But the words are usually correct despite the photos. So you need to pull up your rear seat bottom. There will be two screws or nuts at the bottom the of the center console rear vents/controls under there. Remove those (it says "loosen" so maybe they don't need to come off). Then there are two spring clips near the top of that vent assembly so that whole back section pulls/pries up and out, but you need to disconnect some wire connectors to fully remove it. Then the fuzzy storage liner just pries up with a pry tool from the back/back sides. At that point you should be able to see what's going on with the springs.

And the $1,000 price may rise considerably if you have individual leather.

Last edited by Opie55; 12-28-2023 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 11:17 AM   #4
f93_gc
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
I had the same thing happen! The armrest heater also failed. No clue how to take off the armrest. Usually it starts with the back, taking off the vent for the back seats but that doesn't exist here.
Yea my armrest heater for my passenger side also failed…. I would like to take a look at everything but since i have a Gran Coupe, my rear vent hear connects directly to the back seats, so i’m not sure what the disassembly instructions would look like…
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #5
f93_gc
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
This is a fairly common issue on the 6 series, and there are several threads there about the repair. Repair is the best option unless you are very OCD or wealthy because the doors with springs come as a full assembly that will cost around $1,000 for your car ( I just looked). As for removal, it's not hard. As is common for BMW's repair instructions, the photos are not of your car, but appear to be a 6 GC. But the words are usually correct despite the photos. So you need to pull up your rear seat bottom. There will be two screws or nuts at the bottom the of the center console rear vents/controls under there. Remove those (it says "loosen" so maybe they don't need to come off). Then there are two spring clips near the top of that vent assembly so that whole back section pulls/pries up and out, but you need to disconnect some wire connectors to fully remove it. Then the fuzzy storage liner just pries up with a pry tool from the back/back sides. At that point you should be able to see what's going on with the springs.

And the $1,000 price may rise considerably if you have individual leather.
Would you happen to have any links or PDFs for these instructions? since i have a gran coupe my rear seat vents are directly attached to the back and have a carbon piece in the middle, so it might be more difficult
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

The armrest is around 700 to 800 so not cheap but not end of the world. No matter, I don't see literate on installing in the coupe form.

I thought to get the rear seats out, the side panels had to come out too. Ya, if you have a pdf, please share. I'll look it up too for the 6 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 01:10 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
The armrest is around 700 to 800 so not cheap but not end of the world. No matter, I don't see literate on installing in the coupe form.

I thought to get the rear seats out, the side panels had to come out too. Ya, if you have a pdf, please share. I'll look it up too for the 6 series.
You don't remove the whole rear seat, just the bottom. Nothing else back there comes out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 01:22 PM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f93_gc View Post
Would you happen to have any links or PDFs for these instructions? since i have a gran coupe my rear seat vents are directly attached to the back and have a carbon piece in the middle, so it might be more difficult
It was GC instructions I was looking at. The rear seat vent set up in the 8 GC is pretty much the same as the 6 GC, it's just that the 8 is shaped a bit differently - more modern. Both have the rear seat vents in a separate piece that is attached to the back of the center console. Both need to have the rear seat bottom removed to access two screws at the bottom. After that it just pulls/pries off, although the 8 instructions say to pry "up." That makes sense given how the design looks - the two spring clips you can't see would be more horizontal than vertical. I can post some screen shots later today.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 01:18 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Here are the promised instructions/pictures for your car. Don't worry that the final step is numbered 4 and the others are not 1-3. I got the last step in a different location, but it follows a repeat of the same prior steps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #10
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, nice find! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 10:30 AM   #11
f93_gc
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Here are the promised instructions/pictures for your car. Don't worry that the final step is numbered 4 and the others are not 1-3. I got the last step in a different location, but it follows a repeat of the same prior steps.
Wow i think this might be exactly what i’m looking for. Is there a link or anywhere i can download the PDF of this?
Appreciate 0