M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2021 M850 CPO 28K miles

06-27-2023, 07:59 PM   #1
luv4greenleaves
Rep
Drives: 2014 750xi

2021 M850 CPO 28K miles

I got a 2014 750ix that needs to trade in do to age / miles (70K). It’s also off of warranty and I’m scared to death of a break down. On warranty over $13k in repairs!!!

I see a 2021 M850 with 28K miles with BMW CPO for 5 yrs unlimited miles with in service start date of 3/21. So I have until 2026 on warranty with unlimited miles. I had them confirm this several times.

How reliable is this car? Is it going to be another headache or is it pretty reliable? I know my 750 had a bad engine design, heat issues, and leaks problems.

Anything I need to know about this car?? Should I get it or look elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:14 AM   #2
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

The m850 I although it has the same n63 v8 is totally different now from the previous n63 . The Iver heating issues have been solved and the other issues the old n63 had . Same engines but now with different engine code. Still ! This does not mean it will be trouble free , no car is . Full manufaktur warranty is a must . How many previous owners did the m850i have ? If it was a loved car by the owner then it should be fine but , if it was thrashed , then I'd stay away . One of the best things buying new is not thinking about how it was previously used . Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

The '21 M850 is very different to your '14 750ix, in engineering, performance, driving dynamics, technology and aesthetics.
If it is CPO that is a good start - worry free ownership.

I love my '22 M850 Convertible and it has been extremely reliable. The only item outside of routine maintenance was the need to add engine coolant at 8,000 miles, which was done at no charge by the dealership. It was recently in for routine maintenance which included a coolant pressure check and there are no leaks however.

I would buy with confidence - I actually think BMW is a very reliable car with good ownership and maintenance. I have a friend who bought a 2018 Mercedes S550 with only 38,000 miles on it and he's had nothing but problems with it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 02:17 PM   #4
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

I don't care what the others have posted. I have an 2021 M850 in the shop now. It has the new V8 engine. Trust me, at times getting out of the car the it is very very noticeable that there is lots of heat in the engine bay. You can feel it getting out of the car, even on cool days. Now my car is in the shop with an error of Chassis Stabilization error. Seems a coolant leak entered the engine management computer, and shorted out a lot of the components used for the car. It is not a drive train issue at all. I have extensive knowledge of engines, Caterpillar used this tech on diesels which makes sense as diesels are more efficient when very hot, not the case with gasoline engines. So expect short life spans on valve seals, head gaskets etc. Just a good example of DUMB technology in cars now to get a couple of tenth seconds of a acceleration time on the competition.....this and direct injection (carbon issues) and start/stop tech that shortens lifespan of starters, no dipsticks, lifelong trans fluids, coolants....I could go on and on. Any thing to lie to the public about great tech, but only causes real headaches down the road. My 2 cents worth.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2023, 11:59 PM   #5
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

I got my car back after 10 days in the shop. A 50 cent clamp caused the issue. Leaking coolant into a computer bank on the passenger side. Components and wiring harness had to be replaced. In order to do this, the motor had to be pulled to access the removal and replacement of the wiring harness. A $5400 repair bill, that was covered under warranty, but just a head up on how things can get out of hand with dumb tech. One other concerning issue....the repair order; many times these are reported to Car Fax put in the dealer's repair history for a car. The repair order reads like a simple coolant leak issue. If I was buying a car and I know that they engine was yanked for a repair, that would be a red flag to me. The only people that know what happened is me, the mechanic and Service rep. Very sad, and disturbing. Always go with your gut reaction. Well, I feel better letting off some steam.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 12:04 AM   #6
luv4greenleaves
Rep
Drives: 2014 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
I got my car back after 10 days in the shop. A 50 cent clamp caused the issue. Leaking coolant into a computer bank on the passenger side. Components and wiring harness had to be replaced. In order to do this, the motor had to be pulled to access the removal and replacement of the wiring harness. A $5400 repair bill, that was covered under warranty, but just a head up on how things can get out of hand with dumb tech. One other concerning issue....the repair order; many times these are reported to Car Fax put in the dealer's repair history for a car. The repair order reads like a simple coolant leak issue. If I was buying a car and I know that they engine was yanked for a repair, that would be a red flag to me. The only people that know what happened is me, the mechanic and Service rep. Very sad, and disturbing. Always go with your gut reaction. Well, I feel better letting off some steam.
I held off on getting the 8. I had to replace a vacuum leak and 6 ignition coils. All in it cost me $1K. Now the car rides so nice and I remember why I loved it in the first place. My 7 only has 71K miles and almost everything has been replaced while under warranty. A few people have told me to keep it at this point. So I guess that’s what I will do. But my renewed love for the car is going to make me get a newer 7 not an 8. There’s just something boss about the 7 that no other car can touch.
Appreciate 0