M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Alexa in 8 Series Gran Coupe

09-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
hash67
Rep
Drives: G30 520D M Sport

Alexa in 8 Series Gran Coupe

Hi all been trying to get this to work as shown on this
video

I don't have the option in the app to link to the car. I can get the home Alexa to check fuel etc but not get Alexa working in the car.

On ios 14, iPhone 11 and in the UK

anyone got it working?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hash67 View Post
video

I don't have the option in the app to link to the car. I can get the home Alexa to check fuel etc but not get Alexa working in the car.

anyone got it working?

thanks
I initially set up the Alexa skill with the purchase of my wife's 2017 X5 but it was limited so I never really used it. I just re-enacted it given it was unlinked due to my Connected Drive password change last year. Too your point everything works from my home Alexa echo dots but there is no way to get it in the car. I'm on Android and although the video calls out iDrive 6 with my phone connected to the Bluetooth in the M850i the only app that shows up in the "hub" is the home solution.

Once again another case of BMW stabbing in the dark in the digital era as there is no way to do what the video describes. It would be nice to be able to tell Alexa to play my Amazon Music Plus in HD in the car but for now reality dictates that is me controlling it on my phone. Bottom line another BMW digital failure regardless what they post on YouTube, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hash67 View Post
video

anyone got it working?

thanks
I initially set up the Alexa skill with the purchase of my wife's 2017 X5 but it was limited so I never really used it. I just re-enacted it given it was unlinked due to my Connected Drive password change last year. Too your point everything works from my home Alexa echo dots but there is no way to get it in the car. I'm on Android and although the video calls out iDrive 6 with my phone connected to the Bluetooth in the M850i the only app that shows up in the "hub" is the home solution.

Once again another case of BMW stabbing in the dark in the digital era as there is no way to do what the video describes. It would be nice to be able to tell Alexa to play my Amazon Music Plus in HD in the car but for now reality dictates that is me controlling it on my phone. Bottom line another BMW digital failure regardless what they post on YouTube, etc.
My guess: it's another European-only feature, although, that don't explain why the OP can't make it work.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
I use an Echo Auto but would obviously prefer if it were integrated with ID7.

https://smile.amazon.com/Echo-Auto-A...1130969&sr=8-1

Previous Rides
2019 X7 / 2018 X5 / 2012 X5 / 2014 750xi / 2011 750Lxi / 2008 335xi
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders17283 View Post
I tried the Echo Auto, too, it's in a box with a TiVo and a Blu-ray player so that gives some idea of what I thought. I also tried the ring, nice idea but a gimmick for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I tried the Echo Auto, too, it's in a box with a TiVo and a Blu-ray player so that gives some idea of what I thought. I also tried the ring, nice idea but a gimmick for now.
Understand the sentiment all too well with the difference perhaps that in their times the TiVo was the bomb as well as Blu-Ray. In contrast Echo Auto is DOA from the get go. I was only interested if I could Alexa straight from iDrive/Connected Drive as per the video. Even at that it would be a singular use case to play control my Amazon Plus streaming in HD if I chose to do so.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Understand the sentiment all too well with the difference perhaps that in their times the TiVo was the bomb as well as Blu-Ray. In contrast Echo Auto is DOA from the get go. I was only interested if I could Alexa straight from iDrive/Connected Drive as per the video. Even at that it would be a singular use case to play control my Amazon Plus streaming in HD if I chose to do so.
I have her hooked up to 2 x garage doors, the front door, doorbell, back doors, multiple Awair smoke/pollutant detectors, exterior lighting, interior lighting, various power outlets for floor lamps, 3 x Nest AC zones, house alarm, heated floor and various legacy IR devices (like TVs) through a couple of Bond smart IR emitters. Having Alexa integrated into the car natively would be HUGE for me... especially with directional geo-fencing to auto-open garage doors, unlock the back door, etc. It's such a chore pushing the home link button.

Note also that all of my doors also have a second factor PIN code lock because... well, because I'm me. :
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have her hooked up to 2 x garage doors, the front door, doorbell, back doors, multiple Awair smoke/pollutant detectors, exterior lighting, interior lighting, various power outlets for floor lamps, 3 x Nest AC zones, house alarm, heated floor and various legacy IR devices (like TVs) through a couple of Bond smart IR emitters. Having Alexa integrated into the car natively would be HUGE for me... especially with directional geo-fencing to auto-open garage doors, unlock the back door, etc. It's such a chore pushing the home link button.

Note also that all of my doors also have a second factor PIN code lock because... well, because I'm me. :
We are two peas in a pod. I have a similar set up for lighting and Nest but when I remodeled the house my custom front door and cosmetic hardware ruled that out. The irony being is 99% of the home usage is to control the lights, e.g., Alexa "turn on/off" whatever. I never use the Nest commands as otherwise my wife would learn the capability and she'd be saying "Alexa, turn X thermostat to 70 degrees" when it's 115 outside. 76 is as low as it goes on my Nest schedule as otherwise I'll never see the expected 10-years out of either AC unit.

My Home Theater and TVs are all controlled by Control4 via physical touch pad devices or the mobile app. My wife used to bitch about the "complexity" as she was used to multiple remotes but I created a separate program for her needs for the bedroom TV (including the FireTV) and put the mobile app on her phone so she's been a happy camper. I love Control4 in the home theater as it controls the entire system including lighting and the motorized cellular aka Honeycomb Hunter Douglas black out blinds in the room. So during the daytime one button push on the controller fires up the system to my chosen source and handles the rest of the magic.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have an IFTTT setup for my chamberlain door. It's a geofence and works flawlessly. When I get to the point where I can physically see my garage door, it is usually just finishing opening.

The IFTTT recipe uses location from my iPhone in combination with WebHooks.

I love it!!! ...also because it's just so difficult to hit the opener button

Previous Rides
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      09-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #10
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

We are two peas in a pod. I have a similar set up for lighting and Nest but when I remodeled the house my custom front door and cosmetic hardware ruled that out. The irony being is 99% of the home usage is to control the lights, e.g., Alexa "turn on/off" whatever. I never use the Nest commands as otherwise my wife would learn the capability and she'd be saying "Alexa, turn X thermostat to 70 degrees" when it's 115 outside. 76 is as low as it goes on my Nest schedule as otherwise I'll never see the expected 10-years out of either AC unit.

My Home Theater and TVs are all controlled by Control4 via physical touch pad devices or the mobile app. My wife used to bitch about the "complexity" as she was used to multiple remotes but I created a separate program for her needs for the bedroom TV (including the FireTV) and put the mobile app on her phone so she's been a happy camper. I love Control4 in the home theater as it controls the entire system including lighting and the motorized cellular aka Honeycomb Hunter Douglas black out blinds in the room. So during the daytime one button push on the controller fires up the system to my chosen source and handles the rest of the magic.
Control 4?!?

jk!! (My small business installs Savant & Crestron)

Previous Rides
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have an IFTTT setup for my chamberlain door. It's a geofence and works flawlessly. When I get to the point where I can physically see my garage door, it is usually just finishing opening.

The IFTTT recipe uses location from my iPhone in combination with WebHooks.

I love it!!! ...also because it's just so difficult to hit the opener button
I hate IFTTT—such a huge opportunity that they've squandered in my opinion. It should be easy enough for the masses, not irritating to the informed.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:10 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have the blinds, too—damned things are controlled by laser as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Control 4?!?

Both are solid products but I drove down the Control4 road many moons ago and really no reason to move in another direction.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Control 4?!?

Quote:
I hate IFTTT—such a huge opportunity that they've squandered in my opinion. It should be easy enough for the masses, not irritating to the informed.
LOL as IFTTT is built for nerds vs the masses and if the nerds struggle well that is the kiss of death.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #15
hash67
Rep
Drives: G30 520D M Sport

So BMW called and advised they no longer support this integration, apparently, it was an amazon issue.

Crap really would have been very useful, oh well

hash
Appreciate 0