M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Help Me To Build My '21 M8 Comp GC

09-24-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
toneil44
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Comp GC, 2017 540

Help Me To Build My '21 M8 Comp GC

Thanks to all the posters who have helped me come this far in my journey.

I've "done" the competition, either test drive, read reviews, read comments of posters in this forum.

At my age my priorities are 60% luxury/40% performance. For me the choice comes down to this car vs the AMG GT 63S. The Merc handles better (1 sec faster w/ equivalent rubber on a 1 min 20 sec Magny Cours, former F1, track). M8 is a more comfortable riding car and to me the better looking one. W/ the $25K difference in MSRP w/ similar features and if I go the lease route, there's a large difference in MF and residual value (Sep 2020 figures: M8 - 0.00099, 54%/10K miles vs AMG - 0.00299, 51%/10K miles). I find it hard to justify that cost difference.

This will be my first M car and by far the most expensive car I've owned. My money manager says I'm good to go so let's do it! I want to be patient here and process everyone's remarks. Right now I've got a 2017 540i xDrive and a Mazda 3 compact 4-dr sedan. I'll sell the Mazda when I pick up the M8. W/ the two of us at home, that leaves me w/ two cars. I don't want to own 3 or 4 cars and the time and trouble that entails. I'm looking forward to and am sure I'll enjoy the car but I don't want it to expand into an all time consuming hobby. I have other interests I want to continue to experience. I live in the northeast and intend to utilize the M8 Comp GC as a DD year round w/ occasional light track use. I'll explain more below under M Carbon Ceramic Brakes.

Please comment on the proposed build and my remarks.

*Motegi Red Metallic. I believe my 540, a 4-dr sedan should have relatively conservative colors (it's Mediterranean Blue). On the other hand, small cars and any size sport/performance cars look good in bright, bold colors. For me that's in the red/orange hue. Just can't get my head around the screaming yellow colors. I looked at the Special Order Paint Promotion (490). All the available red/orange/burgundy colors in the visualizer are not bright, bold enough to match Motegi Red except Rosso Corsa which must be gone by now.

*ZCP - Competition Package

*Wheels - Either 811M or 813M. Which looks better in motion?

*Upholstery Full Merino Leather - Either Sakhir Orange/Black or Midrand Beige

*Trim - Ash Grain Grey-Metallic Wood. Trim takes up such a small space in this car. BMW has gone the Elon Musk minimalist route here. I much prefer trim in the center console, dash, doors like in my 5 series. That's what a luxury interior should look like for trim, certainally for $150K. Ash Black Silver Wood (Individual) and Fineline Copper Wood (from the 8 series so must be Individual) look good but also must be Individual. Not looking forward to an extra 10 weeks for delivery.

*ZDA - Driving Assistance Package

*ZDY - Driving Assistance Professional Package
The ZDX Driving Assistance Package 2 caused problems where people didn't get what they thought they were getting. It was in the list of options for the '20 M8 Comp Coupe. It's not here in the '21 M8 Comp GC. Am I good to go w/ ZDA and ZDY?

*ZSB - Comfort Seating Package. I can't figure this one out. Please explain to me what I get here w/ Power Rear Sunshade, Heated Front Seats, Armrests & Steering Wheel all listed as standard equipment. Looks to me that ZSB adds Rear Side Window Shades (which are manual) and Heated Rear Seats for $850. I guess I'll opt for it but am not comfortable w/ what is standard equipment and what comes w/ the Comfort Seating Package. Help me out here.

*3M5 - M Compound Brakes W/ Red Calipers

*Destination & Handling

*Gas Guzzler Tax

TOTAL MSRP = $148,645

Options I opted not to get:
*M Carbon Ceramic Brakes. I'm toying w/ the idea of lightly tracking the car say up to 10 days/year. I don't expect to set the lap record. Really want to exercise the capabilities of the car that I cannot legally experience on public roads. My mechanic tells me that CCBs are overkill for this type of driving. If I experience brake fade or other issues, change to high performance rotors and pads rather than CCBs.

*Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System. At my age I cannot hear the difference.

*M Carbon Exterior Package. If I read the Ordering/Pricing Guides correctly, can't be ordered w/ ZDY Driving Assistance Professional Package. The decorative carbon elements don't particularly appeal to me in the first place.

*M Driver's Package. 150 MPH is already very, very fast. I don't believe I should spend $2500 on a 1 day M Driver's School.

*Alcantera headliner in upholstery color. Headliner color in anything but white, very light colors will look confining. The car is tight inside to begin w/.

*Port Installed Options - When considering the build for the 2017 5 series, I looked at that. Been watching this forum for a couple of months. Have yet to see any mention of port installed options. Anybody shed light on this?

I'd like to wait until another post to get into things like: recommended dealer/broker, expected purchase price, incentives, financing (buy vs lease), aftermarket parts. I want to get the build done first.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

B&W sound system adds to the aesthetics of the interior look. They light up and add richness to the interior.

M8 GC is a very long car. I love MBB and Red in the coupe just don't know with that kind of real estate if it will look good. I recall seeing a Red M8 GC dealer posted and the car is just too big to pull it off.

Maybe Don Grey or Black would be my choice

Interior carbon fiber
      09-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

color is a little subjective look at some pictures on this forum, to me the top three colors if you're not going frozen, are Marina bay blue, Aventurine red 2 metallic, and Donington gray.

In terms of wheels they're both nice but I'm leaning more towards the 813's.

For the upholstery, the Black/midrand beige two tone is nice and will go well with any exterior color you chose.( it's the Alcantara cloth black on the usa website)

Interior trim has to be carbon fibre, don't think f anything else even though it's a small element of the interior and I agree with your point of view of not having enough of it on the interior.

For the Bowers and Wilkins, I have it (not by choice) and expected much more than what it is, however like LSM said it add a nice touch to the interior with the led lit speakers, if you get it you won't regret it.

The side sun shades are electric and not manual, get the comfort seating package you won't go wrong.

The Black Alcantara roof liner is nicer in black than upholstery color.

The Carbon exterior package is nice it'll complement you roof.

Besides that the rest of your build is spot on, order in confidence.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
If you go with the Motegi Red Metallic the best choice on your interior options is Midrand Beige as the Sakhir Orange/Black is monochrome (and may actually clash with the exterior red). Then again it's your car so only your taste counts.

Trim wise I agree from the "included" choices I'd go with carbon fiber. The reason being is the Ash Grain Grey-Metallic Wood is infinitely lighter than the pictures portray. In fact on my first failed 2020 M850i build I included it due to the Dravit Grey exterior choice. However, due to other reasons I did not take possession but the Ash Grain Grey is super light and did not go whatsoever. For my second order with the M8s in play BMW added carbon fiber on the M850i's for a $300 up charge. I actually fought to get Ash Black Silver Wood as it is indeed black with silver highlights but although available on the 840is and M8s they do not offer it on a M850i whatsoever. Seems illogical to me considering a fully optioned 840i is 10s of thousands less than my M850i build.

As mentioned, the B&W audio adds significant aesthetics to the interior. I'm an audiophile but I continue to recommend the option even if one cannot tell the difference especially on a lease as it will not positively impact the monthly payments vs the aesthetic value added. In regards to the Alcantera headliner this is subjective but either way you end up with a black headliner. The difference being is the Alcantera is a more quality material and at least in my opinion worth the small amount considering the overall build price.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      09-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
I presume the M8 comes with high performance tires. No run flats!
Appreciate 1
Belugs318.00
      09-25-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Imola Red looks amazing. Worth a look!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #7
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
color is a little subjective look at some pictures on this forum, to me the top three colors if you're not going frozen, are Marina bay blue, Aventurine red 2 metallic, and Donington gray.

In terms of wheels they're both nice but I'm leaning more towards the 813's.

For the upholstery, the Black/midrand beige two tone is nice and will go well with any exterior color you chose.( it's the Alcantara cloth black on the usa website)

Interior trim has to be carbon fibre, don't think f anything else even though it's a small element of the interior and I agree with your point of view of not having enough of it on the interior.

For the Bowers and Wilkins, I have it (not by choice) and expected much more than what it is, however like LSM said it add a nice touch to the interior with the led lit speakers, if you get it you won't regret it.

The side sun shades are electric and not manual, get the comfort seating package you won't go wrong.

The Black Alcantara roof liner is nicer in black than upholstery color.

The Carbon exterior package is nice it'll complement you roof.

Besides that the rest of your build is spot on, order in confidence.
+1

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
BeeMdblU448.50
      09-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
The paint promotion is still on until December, get Donnie grey. I went the frozen route and I'm getting frozen dark silver.

Like one of the comments already pointed out the added aesthetics feature of B&W is very luxurious especially at night. I got this option 50% for sound upgrade and 50% for the looks

I got the $1,100 driving assistance option and not the $1,700 as i thought the $1,700 was useless.

Comfort seating package i didn't get as most of the features already come as standard as you already figured out. The 2,500 M driving school with increased limiter option is just too unpractical in my opinion

I got the carbon fiber package because I've always wanted a car that has it. This is me fulfilling that fantasy. U don't need it if it's not ur thing.

Have u seen the Sakhir Orange in person? Make sure to see it in person if you haven't already before u order. It's a unique taste. U either love it or hate it and it could be a deal breaker if you hate it. I got the black with midrange beige upholstery. I like the alcantara cut in the sides of the seats. It complements the headliner and also adds a nice touch.

The 8 is a magnificent car. You'll enjoy it! Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Here is the link to the Rossa Corsa (Ferrari color) on the M8 GC. I also attached a picture of the color below.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26555823

Again just my opinion but GC way to big to pull off colors like this . Better on a smaller car.

It's your car though maybe you love it.

The M8 GC had a promotion for any individual color free, I believe that was extended through end of December. Any individual color BMW offers free of charge
Attached Images