M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Vehicle Will Turn Off Soon Message

09-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I'd bet yours has many more miles proportionality than mine as I'm only at 975 in 9mos which may explain things and I only drive it about every 2-3 weeks for about 30 mins to keep everything charged (or so i thought) and moving.
Yep, I have roughly 4K of mileage with the first 2K(ish) from my daily commuting from December to March. About 800K on top of that is road trips since COVID-19 to San Diego and Northern AZ and the rest is mostly my road track (posted the thread on Desert Driving) that I do at least a few times a week plus trips to the grocery store, etc. which are all short distances. Hence, your less than 1K in 9 months is most definitely a factor in the potential battery situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #24
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Yep, I have roughly 4K of mileage with the first 2K(ish) from my daily commuting from December to March. About 800K on top of that is road trips since COVID-19 to San Diego and Northern AZ and the rest is mostly my road track (posted the thread on Desert Driving) that I do at least a few times a week plus trips to the grocery store, etc. which are all short distances. Hence, your less than 1K in 9 months is most definitely a factor in the potential battery situation.
What are your thoughts on my SW situation? Please reply there
https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760779

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What are your thoughts on my SW situation? Please reply there
https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760779
Just did earlier. Bottom line is do not upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #26
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
... I will also take your advice and get the CTEK, do the alligator type clips fit onto the battery in the space where it's located (assuming in the trunk) and will the trunk need to remain open enough to clear the wires keeping the light on, and will the light turn off after several minutes?
Due to the car having an IBS (intelligent battery sensor)...you hook up a trickle charger or maintainer to the "dedicated" JUMP START terminals in the engine bay. If you hook up directly to the battery, this could cause check control messages if the IBS misinterprets a drastic change in the battery's voltage.

Again, there are specific terminals (negative & positive) in the engine bay for hooking up a trickle charger or jumping etc.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      09-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #27
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Due to the car having an IBS (intelligent battery sensor)...you hook up a trickle charger or maintainer to the "dedicated" JUMP START terminals in the engine bay. If you hook up directly to the battery, this could cause check control messages if the IBS misinterprets a drastic change in the battery's voltage.

Again, there are specific terminals (negative & positive) in the engine bay for hooking up a trickle charger or jumping etc.
Thanks

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #28
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Wow. Less than 1K miles since last year. Please get a trickle charger. We have a couple in permanent use...

BMW will be happy to tell you that a battery damaged due to drainage will not be covered by warranty
Lithium Ion batteries also have eye watering prices.

Btw, BMW and Mercedes have branded trickle chargers which are also made by CTEK
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-L...a-493114685985
I've already ordered it but does the CTEK charge both the front and rear batteries? As the front is LI and the rear conventional. Wonder what battery is responsible for what? I think the LI (front) is the starter battery:https://www.getbmwparts.com/batterie...w-m850i-xdrive

Apparently the BMW version is compatible with both: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...ATTERY-CHARGER

EDIT: was able to cancel the CTEK and went for the BMW branded version one since it does both.

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-25-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #29
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
We only charge the car via the posts in the engine bay. I wouldn’t worry about the rest as the car software does the rest.

I would have to look at the Amazon listing again but typically lithium chargers can be switched to standard as well. Just a reset.
This one will be a newer model than the MB/BMW ones.

Btw, the only difference between Lithium and standard charging is that the charger stops charging when full on Lithium Ion batteries.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #30
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
We only charge the car via the posts in the engine bay. I wouldn’t worry about the rest as the car software does the rest.

I would have to look at the Amazon listing again but typically lithium chargers can be switched to standard as well. Just a reset.
This one will be a newer model than the MB/BMW ones.

Btw, the only difference between Lithium and standard charging is that the charger stops charging when full on Lithium Ion batteries.
Thanks, I went for the updated BMW one which now states it does both, but from the listing on Amazon I couldn't see where the CTEK does and the Q&A says it does not.

Either way appreciate the guidance, and you are correct the LI is stupid money to replace. I spoke with my SA today and he said BWUSA will take the mileage into consideration and if it's too low they may not cover replacement. But, I explained we take the car out religiously every 10-20 days for a full 30 min drive which the car's computer can easily verify, hoping this will all be unnecessary and I don't need a battery.

I was also told the standard BMW warranty no longer covers brakes, wipers, batteries etc. like it used to...this changed about 3 model years ago.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #31
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was also told the standard BMW warranty no longer covers brakes, wipers, batteries etc. like it used to...this changed about 3 model years ago.
Yes, that changed with the 2017s which was at the time I was placing my custom order for the wife's X5. I tried to find a 2016 to match the specs but to no avail. Since it is a buy and hold vehicle I paid for the Ultimate Care+ for the 5 years (can't remember the cost) as it includes brakes, battery, etc). For my leased 2020 M850i it was $900 to cover the brakes, etc. for the 3-year lease and figured it was worth it given to DILYSI mentality I planned for the car. Only time will tell if I get a brake job out of it but now the battery situation may have made it worth it as well.

It may be worth noting that the fine print (my contract law history requires that reading) does not cover ceramic brakes whatsoever. Not an option on the M850i but may be valuable info the those seeking a M8.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:57 PM   #32
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Yes, that changed with the 2017s which was at the time I was placing my custom order for the wife's X5. I tried to find a 2016 to match the specs but to no avail. Since it is a buy and hold vehicle I paid for the Ultimate Care+ for the 5 years (can't remember the cost) as it includes brakes, battery, etc). For my leased 2020 M850i it was $900 to cover the brakes, etc. for the 3-year lease and figured it was worth it given to DILYSI mentality I planned for the car. Only time will tell if I get a brake job out of it but now the battery situation may have made it worth it as well.

It may be worth noting that the fine print (my contract law history requires that reading) does not cover ceramic brakes whatsoever. Not an option on the M850i but may be valuable info the those seeking a M8.
If I would had known brakes, uber expensive batteries etc were no longer covered by the standard warranty I would have went for the . UC+ in a second. The jokers at the selling dealership never apprised me of this.

Appreciate 0