M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Vehicle Will Turn Off Soon Message

09-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Vehicle Will Turn Off Soon Message

or something to that effect...received this message twice now after driving for a few minutes, thankfully it does not shut off but it does not seem realize the vehicle is actually running! Any thoughts?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-24-2020 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Maybe it cant find the key for a period of time, but then finds the signal?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Maybe it cant find the key for a period of time, but then finds the signal?
Good thought, as the key is a year old so maybe it needs a battery, but I'm not getting the key is not in the vehicle message

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Good thought, as the key is a year old so maybe it needs a battery, but I'm not getting the key is not in the vehicle message
Have you tried with the spare key?

M
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      09-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
I'd call a store and ask to speak with the shop foreman or other customer facing tech.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      09-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
I'd call a store and ask to speak with the shop foreman or other customer facing tech.
Quote:
Have you tried with the spare key?

M
Thanks, haven't tried the spare yet but I don't drive the vehicle much but am sure to take it out every two weeks for a half hour run to keep battery charged etc...wonder if a low battery would cause this, but why when running? Spoke with my SA today who spoke with shop foreman and they've not seen this situation yet. Will have to bring it in to get scanned next week. Stumped.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

I had this a few times, I think it may be a battery thing as I do lots of short journeys and this message would come on after I had sat in the car for a short while before starting it. I could drive all the way home ( only a mile or so ) and the message would remain there the whole way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      09-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
I had this a few times, I think it may be a battery thing as I do lots of short journeys and this message would come on after I had sat in the car for a short while before starting it. I could drive all the way home ( only a mile or so ) and the message would remain there the whole way.
I think you're onto something...went to start the car a few minutes ago and this message immediately popped up, thankfully car is not shutting down while driving. I sent this pic to my dealer so they have it, I'd imagine they may need to change my battery or charge it. I made sure they could see the engine was running/tach in view. Did the message ever stop popping up or does it continue time/time? Thanks very much!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
I would just put the battery on a trickle charger to give it a full charge.

Just driving the car for a while may not resolve a low battery condition, especially as you have 90 degree weather with AC and seat vents running...
The message obviously makes no sense but their software isn't the smartest when dealing with a low bat condition.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      09-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
I would just put the battery on a trickle charger to give it a full charge.

Just driving the car for a while may not resolve a low battery condition, especially as you have 90 degree weather with AC and seat vents running...
Thanks, I'll let the dealer charge it up when I get my 1 year done next week and be sure to drive it more. When I do take it out every two weeks the seats are off and AC is on but fans set to lowest setting...the car does have the HP cooling and in addition to the HD oil cooler there's HD cooling fan so that probably draws the battery down more so.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
I think you're onto something...went to start the car a few minutes ago and this message immediately popped up, thankfully car is not shutting down while driving. I sent this pic to my dealer so they have it, I'd imagine they may need to change my battery or charge it. I made sure they could see the engine was running/tach in view. Did the message ever stop popping up or does it continue time/time? Thanks very much!
I think the trickle charge may do the job. I got one and ran it for 24 hours, don't recall having the message after.

Can't tell you long term though as my car went back to the dealers over 7 weeks ago with a couple of other issues and I haven't seen it since.

They have subsequently given me the whole value of the car against a new one as they can't seem to fix it ( not reading digital key ).

If you go to the thread about the updates going horribly wrong you will see the history.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I'll let the dealer charge it up when I get my 1 year done next week and be sure to drive it more. When I do take it out every two weeks the seats are off and AC is on but fans set to lowest setting...the car does have the HP cooling and in addition to the HD oil cooler there's HD cooling fan so that probably draws the battery down more so.
If you don't drive much you might want to get a trickle charger anyway. Keep your pricey Lithium Ion battery in good health.

CTEK makes the best ones AFAIK; they are cheap too - just get one compatible with Lithium Ion.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the trickle charge may do the job. I got one and ran it for 24 hours, don't recall having the message after.

Can't tell you long term though as my car went back to the dealers over 7 weeks ago with a couple of other issues and I haven't seen it since.

They have subsequently given me the whole value of the car against a new one as they can't seem to fix it ( not reading digital key ).

If you go to the thread about the updates going horribly wrong you will see the history.
Oh my goodness, sorry you had such extensive issues but glad BMW did the right thing! I just posted a new thread about SW...luv to get everyone's thoughts on it there. This place is great...kudos to all who often jump in and help one another

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you don't drive much you might want to get a trickle charger anyway. Keep your pricey Lithium Ion battery in good health.

CTEK makes the best ones AFAIK; they are cheap too - just get one compatible with Lithium Ion.
Will check it out and go that route, hopefully in the interim BMW will get the battery up to snuff or replaced if need be, as the car only has about 975 miles and it's only been 9 mos since I bought it new on 12/26/19.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will check it out and go that route, hopefully in the interim BMW will get the battery up to snuff or replaced if need be, as the car only has about 975 miles and it's only been 9 mos since I bought it new on 12/26/19.
Wow. Less than 1K miles since last year. Please get a trickle charger. We have a couple in permanent use...

BMW will be happy to tell you that a battery damaged due to drainage will not be covered by warranty
Lithium Ion batteries also have eye watering prices.

Btw, BMW and Mercedes have branded trickle chargers which are also made by CTEK
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-L...a-493114685985
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      09-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #16
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You still haven't got the car back? Holy crap that's poor!

M
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:42 PM   #17
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You still haven't got the car back? Holy crap that's poor!

M
He mentioned BMW replaced it

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #18
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow. Less than 1K miles since last year. Please get a trickle charger. We have a couple in permanent use...

BMW will be happy to tell you that a battery damaged due to drainage will not be covered by warranty
Lithium Ion batteries also have eye watering prices.

Btw, BMW and Mercedes have branded trickle chargers which are also made by CTEK
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-L...a-493114685985
The whole Covid thing has also contributed to the low miles. We have two highly credentialed physicians in the family one who is an immunologist and they have shared some very scary and recent stories occurring to middle aged healthy people after testing positive so we are staying closer to home. Fortunately my dealer has been very accommodating and since it's less than a year old and with so few miles if it needs a battery I'm sure they/BMW will take care of it. I will also take your advice and get the CTEK, do the alligator type clips fit onto the battery in the space where it's located (assuming in the trunk) and will the trunk need to remain open enough to clear the wires keeping the light on, and will the light turn off after several minutes?

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #19
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The whole Covid thing has also contributed to the low miles. We have two highly credentialed physicians in the family one who is an immunologist and they have shared some very scary and recent stories occurring to middle aged healthy people after testing positive so we are staying closer to home. Fortunately my dealer has been very accommodating and since it's less than a year old and with so few miles if it needs a battery I'm sure they/BMW will take care of it. I will also take your advice and get the CTEK, do the alligator type clips fit onto the battery in the space where it's located (assuming in the trunk) and will the trunk need to remain open enough to clear the wires keeping the light on, and will the light turn off after several minutes?
Same with our M8. Driven less due to COVID.

I just clip the connectors onto the battery ports in the engine compartment. Our car just auto locks when walking away and there is no impact leaving the car like this for extended periods of time.
Just don't forget to unplug before taking off
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same with our M8. Driven less due to COVID.

I just clip the connectors onto the battery ports in the engine compartment. Our car just auto locks when walking away and there is no impact leaving the car like this for extended periods of time.
Just don't forget to unplug before taking off
Ordered

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
The absolute irony if it is a battery issue is that here in AZ with the 110 plus degrees during the summer so far so good in my M850i without the same notice. In fact 2020 has set a new record for summer temperatures at 107.9 as the average. The key being as the heat absolutely kills car batteries to the point a 5-year battery (under traditional battery warranty) may make it about 2 years tops.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #22
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
The absolute irony if it is a battery issue is that here in AZ with the 110 plus degrees during the summer so far so good in my M850i without the same notice. In fact 2020 has set a new record for summer temperatures at 107.9 as the average. The key being as the heat absolutely kills car batteries to the point a 5-year battery (under traditional battery warranty) may make it about 2 years tops.
I'd bet yours has many more miles proportionality than mine as I'm only at 975 in 9mos which may explain things and I only drive it about every 2-3 weeks for about 30 mins to keep everything charged (or so i thought) and moving.

Appreciate 0