M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Another M8 review...from down under

09-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Another M8 review...from down under

Thought this might be of interest...from the land of speed camera's, police radar and rough roads.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/850690/2020-bmw-m8-review/
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      09-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Thanks for posting. I'll address some of the negatives. The M850/8 coupes should really have massaging seats at least as an option which would take care of the lumbar comfort issue he cites...we used them in our other vehicles all the time. "No passion", yet all the performance and aural accolades he mentions? I do agree about the dash/console, it's the same as much lesser models and not appropriate here. The new S class does not share the same with the C class. Says "Plenty of other options for 400-gorillas, that flex harder than a BMW" yet calls it "The Terminator"? I think a more appropriate overall score would have been an 8.5 vs 7.9.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-22-2020 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Thanks for posting. I'll address some of the negatives. The M850/8 coupes should really have massaging seats at least as an option which would take care of the lumbar comfort issue he cites...we used them in our other vehicles all the time. "No passion", yet all the performance and aural accolades he mentions? I do agree about the dash/console, it's the same as much lesser models and not appropriate here. The new S class does not share the same with the C class. Says "Plenty of other options for 400-gorillas, that flex harder than a BMW" yet calls it "The Terminator"? I think a more appropriate overall score would have been an 8.5 vs 7.9.
Thanks RJC-1. I agree with you on the seats, it was the first thing that disappointed me when I got the car. They are very comfortable but should have been better. On the screen I'm more relaxed about that. Most of the ratings are a bit harsh the only one that is probably fair is the value because the M8 is $400,000 here (don't worry about exchange rate...on most things an AUD buys the same as a USD...except for cars).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Thanks RJC-1. I agree with you on the seats, it was the first thing that disappointed me when I got the car. They are very comfortable but should have been better. On the screen I'm more relaxed about that. Most of the ratings are a bit harsh the only one that is probably fair is the value because the M8 is $400,000 here (don't worry about exchange rate...on most things an AUD buys the same as a USD...except for cars).
Why do cars get the distinction of costing more proportionately than anything else there?

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:53 PM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Good question. Our Government introduced a Luxury Car Tax (LCT). The were two primary reasons. The first was GMH, Ford and Toyota were manufacturing cars in Australia. The Government was subsidizing the car companies to the tune of billions but they were mostly making cheaper models. So the Government wanted to protect the manufacturers higher quality imports and also raise money to cover the subsidization. There are no manufacturers as of today, they have all ceased production. But of course the LCT prevails!

The LCT is 33% (uplift) to the retail price. The LCT kicks in at a paltry $68,000. So this is the primary reason.

Secondary reasons are shipping costs, local labor costs and BMW margins (Australia higher than the US).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good question. Our Government introduced a Luxury Car Tax (LCT). The were two primary reasons. The first was GMH, Ford and Toyota were manufacturing cars in Australia. The Government was subsidizing the car companies to the tune of billions but they were mostly making cheaper models. So the Government wanted to protect the manufacturers higher quality imports and also raise money to cover the subsidization. There are no manufacturers as of today, they have all ceased production. But of course the LCT prevails!

The LCT is 33% (uplift) to the retail price. The LCT kicks in at a paltry $68,000. So this is the primary reason.

Secondary reasons are shipping costs, local labor costs and BMW margins (Australia higher than the US).
So they just left the lux tax in place after all that...surprised there hasn't been an uproar?

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

More of the same from my end. I think I halfway did an impulse buy and wanted to stay loyal to the brand. They definitely did not do enough for this "flagship" vehicle.

Massaging seats, a more opulent/exclusive interior, more creature comforts (thigh support shouldn't be the same exact manual adjustment as a 2011 BMW 3 series... especially when everything else is electronically controlled), double-glass for wind noise, automated seat belt extending arms, cooled arm rests in addition to heated, heated/cool cup holders, no fake vents. I don't think they took a look at what they are competing against in their price range/customer base when they were releasing this car.

And blah blah blah this was supposed to be built for the track too... how many folks that buy this high-end of a vehicle are seriously going to be tracking this like an M2? This is a grand-touring car and they should as spec'd it better as such.

I'd give it a 6.5/10. If this was similar in price to an M5, 8.0/10

Last edited by c^2; 09-23-2020 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25073.50
      09-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
@C^2 agree on the seat belts! All of that said are you happy with your car, how long do you plan on keeping it?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I saw someone here a while back said the GC gets an acoustic glass option...dont see it available here, maybe non-US markets?

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:26 AM   #10
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Quote:
@C^2 agree on the seat belts! All of that said are you happy with your car, how long do you plan on keeping it?
I'm indifferent about the car given the pricing and hassle I've had with it. Worse case scenario is in 3 years I ditch it and get something else entirely (it's on a lease).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
So they just left the lux tax in place after all that...surprised there hasn't been an uproar?
RJC-1 there has been a huge amount of pressure from the industry. But there is not a lot of political empathy to people who want to buy expensive cars so I can't see it changing.
Appreciate 0