M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Randy Pobst hotlaps the M8 Competition on track - MotorTrend Hot Lap

09-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #23
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Seems weird Randy set a 1:30.66 in an M6 GC and the new M8 Coupe is slightly slower. Everything else I've seen so far has shown M8s doing great lap times.
Yeah that is strange. M8 CP has more power and far better chassis tech.
Probably tires or weather or randy had a headache that day.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #24
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i First Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I wish he would have adjusted his expectations prior to the run and just appreciated these cars for what they are, they are heavy luxo GT's that go fast, handle damn well for their weight/set-up and are not meant as lightweight track stars. Personally I would not want the 8's to be anything less than what they are, if anything I'd accept 20-100 more lbs and welcome things like massaging seats, acoustic glass, and a glass roof option that tilts up for the coupes.
Well said. I would've gladly taken the extra weight for massage seats, electrically deployable seatbelt holders, heated cooled cup holders..etc

And here is a line from a well written article on why big coupes are relevant.

"At the wheel of one of these big coupes, you are clearly The Man or The Woman; big coupes are extremely popular with the coterie of men and women who never go out in public less than impeccably and stylishly well turned out, and they always have been."

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/d...-bmw-8-series/
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:26 PM   #25
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM850i View Post
Well said. I would've gladly taken the extra weight for massage seats, electrically deployable seatbelt holders, heated cooled cup holders..etc

"At the wheel of one of these big coupes, you are clearly The Man or The Woman; big coupes are extremely popular with the coterie of men and women who never go out in public less than impeccably and stylishly well turned out, and they always have been."

Nice, thanks for citing this excellent quote and providing the article. Yes, that's us, we are proud to always look our best while ensuring everything we own looks like new and is impeccably maintained. We are also well mannered and quite reserved, but can be strong/aggressive if required...just like the M850

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #26
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i First Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Quote:

Nice, thanks for citing this excellent quote and providing the article. Yes, that's us, we are proud to always look our best while ensuring everything we own looks like new and is impeccably maintained. We are also well mannered and quite reserved, but can be strong/aggressive if required...just like the M850
Exactly! The M850i is a perfect daily driver car and if someone wants to set blistering track times in 850i/M8, they got the wrong understanding of the car. They need to have a different car for that 😁
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

LOL as perhaps it is only me but I prefer to be comfortable in my personal life vs the requirements of my business life. Hence, today I went to the grocery store in my 2020 M850i wearing a 5+ year old pair of shorts and a t-shirt that are part of my go to comfort wear. Then again I was wearing a watch that is worth more than the car.
Appreciate 1
AM850i72.00
      10-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #28
M4CPF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I consider that a very, very complimentary review. Randy acknowledges its purpose in life--not the track--and describes where it exceeded its design purposes and where it fell short of lighter, more agile brethren.

I disagreed with nothing.

Great car; great review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I consider that a very, very complimentary review. Randy acknowledges its purpose in life--not the track--and describes where it exceeded its design purposes and where it fell short of lighter, more agile brethren.

I disagreed with nothing.

Great car; great review.
Agreed. We all know it's heavy. I will be tracking it in the next few weeks after break in miles. My normal trackday car is 991.2 GT3. Totally different experience and expectations. However, I'm excited to push the M8 CP to its limits and test the RWD. Lap times won't be as fast, but the straights are gonna be epic.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50