M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 X-Pipe vs Straight

09-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

M8 X-Pipe vs Straight

As some of y'all know that I did straight pipe it initially and while I loved the sound gains! Crazy loud and almost Ferrari sweet, but did drone, vibrate, rattle real bad!

So I got tempted by another member who managed to put an M5 F90 DINAN X-Pipe and he said it was much better, and no drones

And I am here reporting the differences!
X-Pipe isn't throaty, isn't loud , isn't sweet! But keeps an M8 civil and while it's lacking a lot in the sound department, yet the droning, rattles, unwanted sounds are all gone! DINAN X-Pipe is almost as civil as stock, which I don't remember now, but the caveat is when I had it straight pipes! I had no plans for an exhaust because it doesn't leave you desiring for more sound gains, but droned really bad! Now I'm left with a slightly louder X-Piped with DINAN 700$ all in, but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to volume, character, throatiness, burble, crackles and pops!

My 2 cents
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      09-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
As some of y'all know that I did straight pipe it initially and while I loved the sound gains! Crazy loud and almost Ferrari sweet, but did drone, vibrate, rattle real bad!

So I got tempted by another member who managed to put an M5 F90 DINAN X-Pipe and he said it was much better, and no drones

X-Pipe isn't throaty, isn't loud , isn't sweet! But keeps an M8 civil and while it's lacking a lot in the sound department, yet the droning, rattles, unwanted sounds are all gone! DINAN X-Pipe is almost as civil as stock, which I don't remember now, but the caveat is when I had it straight pipes! I had no plans for an exhaust because it doesn't leave you desiring for more sound gains, but droned really bad! Now I'm left with a slightly louder X-Piped with DINAN 700$ all in, but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to volume, character, throatiness, burble, crackles and pops!

My 2 cents
Hope you are enjoying the x pipe
straight pipe is much more louder but i think x pipe is significantly louder compared to stock m8 (not the competition exhaust) and has more crackles and pops.
If you just changed from stock to x pipe you would have felt a significant difference but now given you had a straight pipe before you will feel a downgrade
Trust me drive a regular m8 back to back with your x piped one and you will feel how much louder your car is
And for 700 dollar total it is not bad
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      09-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Quote:

My 2 cents
Hope you are enjoying the x pipe
straight pipe is much more louder but i think x pipe is significantly louder compared to stock m8 (not the competition exhaust) and has more crackles and pops.
If you just changed from stock to x pipe you would have felt a significant difference but now given you had a straight pipe before you will feel a downgrade
Trust me drive a regular m8 back to back with your x piped one and you will feel how much louder your car is
And for 700 dollar total it is not bad
No drone silenced me! No pun intended
But it's quite a bit of a downgrade like 50-75% less if everything! I am looking for an exhaust now
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

I have the full akrapovic evo and it comes with its own x pipes, fantastic and no drone either.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      09-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
I have the full akrapovic evo and it comes with its own x pipes, fantastic and no drone either.

Noushy
What's the best price for that setup, I am getting tempted

It's 7-8K everywhere
I am on the trepidation fence
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy

It's 7-8K everywhere
Sadly correct but understand you are getting the best fitment, factory or better quality and titanium which is lighter and stronger and more corrosion resistant and for a limited number vehicle (not as mainstream as say a M3 or M4).

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

No matter what you do you wont like it... Yep I wrote it and therefore it will come true
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 3
soooma1376.50
F90BSM568.50
snowbimmer5023.50
      10-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
No matter what you do you wont like it... Yep I wrote it and therefore it will come true
LOL
Some insight into why that is ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #9
F90BSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:

My 2 cents
I have the Eisenman Race with bon resonated center pipes in my F90 and this sounds like a bunch of gorillas are fighting inside the exhaust aka just get the mothafucka and you'll be very happy.
Appreciate 2
soooma1376.50
Westy162.00
      10-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90BSM5 View Post
Quote:

My 2 cents
I have the Eisenman Race with bon resonated center pipes in my F90 and this sounds like a bunch of gorillas are fighting inside the exhaust aka just get the mothafucka and you'll be very happy.
There's no Eisenman yet for M8!
I am happier now with DINAN XPipe, certainly more subdued than Straight pipes but zero drone which is a night and day difference! With straights it did drone really bad
Appreciate 1
F90BSM568.50
      10-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #11
Paolo73
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 YMB

Quote:

Noushy
Me either..full Akra is best exhaust for M8,the only in titanium!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #12
Paolo73
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 YMB

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy

It's 7-8K everywhere
I paid half price for Akra,mine was very early release.
Lucky me😁😁
Appreciate 1
soooma1376.50
      05-25-2023, 02:12 PM   #13
Abran_tasrif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Is it a M8 coupe or grancoupe? Im contemplating if I shoukd get dinan x pipe for my m8 coupe. I heard it dosent fit the m8 coupe? I had this pipe on my f90 m5 sounded great
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 09:16 PM   #14
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

My local muffler shop welds standard x pipes for $250 all in. Serious question, can dinan really be that different?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 01:36 PM   #15
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
My local muffler shop welds standard x pipes for $250 all in. Serious question, can dinan really be that different?
Only in price....

Going to Ben tomorrow for secondaries on the coupe and will do a before and after video (already have the resonator out)
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
mpop302785.50
r33_RGSport12915.50
      06-03-2023, 04:23 PM   #16
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep

Done by local shop
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12915.50
M8Bimmer1265.00
      06-04-2023, 09:51 AM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Done by local shop
Ugh, what's up with that secondary still there.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 10:07 AM   #18
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Done by local shop
Did you get a sound clip before and after? I know I know, it’s hard to discern any difference at all but people want to hear it
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #19
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Did you get a sound clip before and after? I know I know, it’s hard to discern any difference at all but people want to hear it
I plan to make an after video today

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Ugh, what's up with that secondary still there.
Haha yes yes, still a lease :P
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 05:25 PM   #20
Westy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90BSM5 View Post
I have the Eisenmann being fitted to mine this week, very excited! I think I’m looking forward to making the before/after video more than anything else!! 🤩
Appreciate 3
M8Bimmer1265.00
JRHolt39.00
      06-05-2023, 07:25 AM   #21
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

I see several threads about X pipes vs straight
How come no one wants to do an H-pipe?
All the benefits of the straight, non of the drone (based on testing with 2018 M5)
Appreciate 1
Westy162.00