M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Has Anyone Had Their Hood Fixed?

09-22-2020, 12:41 AM   #23
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
I also have not adjusted mine. I did attempt to follow the thread instructions but I was worried I would do something stupid like screw up the gap clearances, shut the hood and chip paint of the edges or similar. The other point is I have perfected my "hood slammin' with follow through to the floor" technique. Its firm but not too aggressive.
No need to worry about alignment (side-side) or chips as all this does is lengthen the 2 U shaped hood loops allowing them to latch properly so the hood does not need to be slammed. I only turned the bolts on mine one full turn on the psngr side that wasn't latching properly and the drivers side one half turn, now the hood closes with 50% less effort and can probably be even better according to redhot74fla. Having to forcefully slam the hood is not a good idea nor was it intended/engineered to be closed that way, as it could cause issues with the aluminum hood over time.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      09-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #24
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Thank you RJC-1. Confidence builder.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11289.50
      09-23-2020, 06:25 AM   #25
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850I convertible

I did ask my SA if the hood could be adjusted and got the same answer as everyone else. "No, that's the way it is." I looked in the owners manual and found this.

"Energetically close the hood from approx.
20 in/50 cm.
The hood must engage on both sides."
      09-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #26
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Same here, I dropped by at my local dealer (my trusted one is actually further away in Germany) here and they said "that is how it is" and he advised "not to modify anything in that respect". I will ask in Germany next week when I go for the retrofits.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #27
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Same here, I dropped by at my local dealer (my trusted one is actually further away in Germany) here and they said "that is how it is" and he advised "not to modify anything in that respect". I will ask in Germany next week when I go for the retrofits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb555 View Post
I did ask my SA if the hood could be adjusted and got the same answer as everyone else. "No, that's the way it is." I looked in the owners manual and found this.

20 in/50 cm.
The fix is so easy and effective. Anyone familiar with the way engineers design things (let alone German ones) knows nothing is ever forced, jammed or slammed. I believe in an earlier thread a TSB was even posted. I go in for service next week and will enlighten my SA on how easy the fix is. In addition, others on the forum mentioned their cars (with no alternations) do not suffer from the slam bam thank you ma'am syndrome...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-24-2020 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
The fix is so easy and effective. Anyone familiar with the way engineers design things (let alone German ones) knows nothing is ever forced, jammed or slammed. I believe in an earlier thread a TSB was even posted. I go in for service next week and will enlighten my SA on how easy the fix is. In addition, others on the forum mentioned their cars (with no alternations) do not suffer from the slam bam thank you ma'am syndrome...
I had forgotten about this thread but had assumed that everyone with the issue and discovery would follow tg_vegas' tip on how to fix it. I completely agree, i.e., there was no way the hood latching system was designed to behave in this way, i.e., slammed shut. As posted already my 2020 straight from the factory closes smoothly as one would expect without the slamming it shut theatrics.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:55 AM   #29
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb555 View Post

20 in/50 cm.
rb555 there was an official update issued by BMW which you may have missed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW8SeriesHood.pdf (97.5 KB, 33 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #30
rb555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850I convertible

Thumbs up

Thanks Ozzie8. I did miss that update. I'll look into it.