M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New BMW Urban Cruise Control Appears This Fall

09-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

New BMW Urban Cruise Control Appears This Fall

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/09/24/n...ruise-control/

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 02:24 AM   #2
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Very interesting and if I understood it correctly, this new feature/capability can be added to the vehicle by means of a remote software upgrade when it will be available (for PRE 07.2020 productions as well).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:25 AM   #3
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

The last statement is a bit worrying.

The Urban Cruise Control function can also be integrated into the car at a later date by means of a Remote Software Upgrade. With the exception of the BMW 8 Series models, this option is available for vehicles of all the above-mentioned series produced from July 2020 onwards and which are equipped with the Driving Assistant Professional.

Does this mean we have it automatically or we don't get to have it.

Somewhat ambiguous.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 05:01 AM   #4
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Just read a German article on this and seems to confirm it..... not as I had thought and hoped but rather the opposite as also in the former they say that indeed the remote software upgrade will add the feature for 3er, 5er, 6er Gran Turismo, X5, X6, X7, M5, X5 M und X6 M models with production 07-2020 onwards - EXCEPT FOR THE 8.

So given that the hardware is the same (as stated in some other articles), why would BMW not allow/ enable this for the 8 series via the remote software upgrade, while on other models yes?

BMW Group press article

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...of-autumn-2020
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

I don't get the software updates in our cars if we don't get any of the new features and actually take away some of ours ( controlled backfires)
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50
      09-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
I think we should just wait and see; because as I read it, it says that all 8 models with DAP will get it, while only the other models listed produced after 7/2020 will. Guess only time will tell.

"With the exception of the BMW 8 Series models, this option is available for vehicles of all the above-mentioned series produced from July 2020 onwards and which are equipped with the Driving Assistant Professional."
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Just read a German article on this and seems to confirm it..... not as I had thought and hoped but rather the opposite as also in the former they say that indeed the remote software upgrade will add the feature for 3er, 5er, 6er Gran Turismo, X5, X6, X7, M5, X5 M und X6 M models with production 07-2020 onwards - EXCEPT FOR THE 8.

So given that the hardware is the same (as stated in some other articles), why would BMW not allow/ enable this for the 8 series via the remote software upgrade, while on other models yes?

BMW Group press article

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...of-autumn-2020
Not crystal clear, I agree but I interpret it as saying that the 8-series IS compatible in general but is NOT subject to the July 2020 or later build date. That is, we should get it via the promised software update channel (not holding my breath on that one, though).
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Yes I really hope it is as you say - I initially thought that way too (in my first comment/post) but reading it a second time, can make one interpret it differently and thus understand it as the remote software update will not make it happen for THE 8. Indeed it would be very strange if this was the case.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
toneil44
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Comp GC, 2017 540

Just read the BMW press release.

I gotta believe there's a price increase coming. Can't believe they will come out w/ that new technology for nothng.

I'm right in the middle of it. Thanks to posters here on this board, I'm ready to negotiate a custom order for a '21 M8 Comp GC w/ dealers/brokers.

If I'm correct, should I wait until mid Oct or later to sign a deal or do it now w/ an Individual order for say Ash Black Silver Wood Trim? 10 weeks delivery should push production into Nov at least.

The key is to schedule production into Nov. If there's a price increase coming, I may get hit w/ it no matter when I sign the order.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Not crystal clear, I agree but I interpret it as saying that the 8-series IS compatible in general but is NOT subject to the July 2020 or later build date. That is, we should get it via the promised software update channel (not holding my breath on that one, though).
Agreed as I read it the same way but only time will tell and I will not hold my breath either as even if we don't get UCC at least in my option isn't worth losing any sleep over.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Agreed as I read it the same way but only time will tell and I will not hold my breath either as even if we don't get UCC at least in my option isn't worth losing any sleep over.
Related: on my drive here, I used the Driving Assistant A LOT... I learned something on the way. That being: it'll eventually detect a slow traffic situation where it enables (or rather suggests) Plus mode; perhaps everyone else knew this and I didn't. Anyhoo, it basically amps up the stop and go capability to 10 so you really only need to prove (to the camera in the dash) that your none of the following: gone, asleep or dead. Beyond that, it's got it. It helped a great deal in Atlanta.
Appreciate 2
Al Pinã1838.50
FBMWWINS603.50
      09-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Related: on my drive here, I used the Driving Assistant A LOT... I learned something on the way. That being: it'll eventually detect a slow traffic situation where it enables (or rather suggests) Plus mode; perhaps everyone else knew this and I didn't. Anyhoo, it basically amps up the stop and go capability to 10 so you really only need to prove (to the camera in the dash) that your none of the following: gone, asleep or dead. Beyond that, it's got it. It helped a great deal in Atlanta.
Good to know as I haven't hit a total stop and go situation in which it suggested "plus" mode that disengages the hands on the wheel requirement and only the drivers attention camera is needed. I used the Driving Assistant on my trip to San Diego in June for the majority of the 5 and a half hour drive. The car basically drove itself outside of the winding mountain drive portion in which I put it in Adaptive mode and manually drove to test that out (on the way back for the same stretch I took over but in Sport Plus for extra shits and giggles).

At the Border Patrol checkpoints in California the traffic really wasn't backed up for too long so the car didn't suggest "plus" mode but completely handled it with the only caveat I had to time shutting it off right before the car in front was waved through or otherwise the car would have taken off trying to track it up to my 75 MPH setting which would have set off a Border Patrol chase with me being the rabbit.

It sounds like the "plus" mode may be default in Europe as others have posted that as long as you're under 40 MPH you do not need your hands on the wheel and the Driver's Attention camera controls the engagement of the system. Yet another potential coding situation for us in the U.S.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50