M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Integral Active Steering worth it?

09-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Integral Active Steering worth it?

I have a Mercedes SL and I do love it- but the 840/850 is a step above and I am seriously considering going back to BMW- on the SL the optional that is hard to find but totally adds to the driving experience is the ABC option- Automatic Body Control, it is really amazing that provides not only a smoother ride but actively gas charges any wheels that are taking the hit going into a corner and automatically fills to keep the car amazingly flat no matter how much speed you go into a twisty. No this is not a track day thing as the SL is NOT a track car by any means. But it is an option that is hard to find used and nobody buys SLs new LOL. So looking at the 840 convertible and watching a few reviews- a couple reviews have said how the IAS option really makes the car much better in "spirited" driving. I live in the Texas Hill Country outside of San Antonio and will be doing this with my new 840. The question is, do you that have it (standard on the M850? feel any difference or have compared a non IAS model with one that has it? Does it chew your rear tires faster? Or prolong them? Thanks for any feed back- finding an 840 convertible in Barcelona Blue with this option is next to impossibe- LOL Really dont want to custom order- the discounts are better taking a car that's already on someones lot- thank you for any help
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilberGrau ZHP View Post
I have a Mercedes SL and I do love it- but the 840/850 is a step above and I am seriously considering going back to BMW- on the SL the optional that is hard to find but totally adds to the driving experience is the ABC option- Automatic Body Control, it is really amazing that provides not only a smoother ride but actively gas charges any wheels that are taking the hit going into a corner and automatically fills to keep the car amazingly flat no matter how much speed you go into a twisty. No this is not a track day thing as the SL is NOT a track car by any means. But it is an option that is hard to find used and nobody buys SLs new LOL. So looking at the 840 convertible and watching a few reviews- a couple reviews have said how the IAS option really makes the car much better in "spirited" driving. I live in the Texas Hill Country outside of San Antonio and will be doing this with my new 840. The question is, do you that have it (standard on the M850? feel any difference or have compared a non IAS model with one that has it? Does it chew your rear tires faster? Or prolong them? Thanks for any feed back- finding an 840 convertible in Barcelona Blue with this option is next to impossibe- LOL Really dont want to custom order- the discounts are better taking a car that's already on someones lot- thank you for any help
My M850 handles and maneuvers unbelievably well for such a large long car and I attribute a lot of it to the 4WS. I agree with BMWgirlFL, if you have a V8 in your MB get an M850 if you can.
You mentioned the hill country outside of SA, I know Cordillera Ranch very well, are you close to there by chance?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

For me, as for many, it is something completely new to have on a car and so far I'm loving it and feeling the benefits. Especially with the countless roundabouts present in my area and the curvy roads this definitely is fun to drive and pays off big time. I would never want to give it back actually although I have not been driving the car that long. It's surely a big addition compared to before.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
My M850 handles and maneuvers unbelievably well for such a large long car and I attribute a lot of it to the 4WS. I agree with BMWgirlFL, if you have a V8 in your MB get an M850 if you can.
You mentioned the hill country outside of SA, I know Cordillera Ranch very well, are you close to there by chance?
I have a good friend who lives out there- I am near New Braunfels- about 30 miles away 0=But
its beautiful out there but the traffic is growing lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:11 AM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
I have a good friend who lives out there- I am near New Braunfels- about 30 miles away 0=But
Yep, lots of welltodo Californians are moving to Cordillera Ranch for all the amazing amenities, large homesites, and no state income tax. I think they will be in for quite an adjustment however as Texan's aren't like Californians and the summers are cookers.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-26-2020 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
debdoub77.50
      09-26-2020, 12:36 AM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Ah the irony given my Niece and her husband live in New Braunfels. That aside as others have stated the M850i is your best choice. The M850i from a performance perspective will absolutely smoke the SL. However, to your point it does not have an equivalent to the MB ABC. That said given it was the first entry into the 8-series for 2019 BMW engineered to to be what their marketing team referred to as a "gentleman's racer".

After 9 months of ownership and throwing everything at it, e.g., mountain driving twisties it performs flawlessly. In fact on one of my road trips to San Diego from Phoenix with numerous situations of winding switchbacks I had the car in "Adaptive" mode. This ties the car's suspension, engine and transmission to "adapt" to what the navigation sees (always active regardless if you have a destination setting or not) and adjusts to the needs.

Needless to say I flew by everything from a C7 to a Red Eye along the way. The C7 gave me a run for the money but it was a ZR1 variant and could not keep up with the endless torque of the M850i climbing the hills. In fact the M850i never downshifted on the climbs whatsoever and only the current MPG (which dropped to 8) was the only indicator of impact to the glorious twin-turbo under the hood.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50