M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Software Version Shown In Car Not Accurate?

09-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Software Version Shown In Car Not Accurate?

There's been lots threads and discussion on SW issues and with potentially related exhaust mutting. My exhaust is as loud as ever even in comfort mode, but it was updated by the dealer (hardwired) in Feb to fix the remote 360 issue, yet this is what it shows in-car as of today? I also did an OTA in Jan shortly after I bought the car. How/why can it still be showing July/2019?
Attached Images

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
The easy answer is in February the dealer installed 07/2019.55 which was on my late October build 2020 M850i and the exhaust was indeed glorious. When my dealer installed 11/2019.55 in December due to my Connected Drive app connectivity issues (which turned out to be just a SNAFU on BMW's cloud services due to special characters in the password) the exhaust was still glorious. The pain came unexpectedly with my OTA upgrade to 11/2019.70 as it absolutely neutered the exhaust to the point only Sport Plus has any resemblance to the exhaust sound when I took delivery. The key is absolutely do not upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
The easy answer is in February the dealer installed 07/2019.55 which was on my late October build 2020 M850i and the exhaust was indeed glorious. When my dealer installed 11/2019.55 in December due to my Connected Drive app connectivity issues (which turned out to be just a SNAFU on BMW's cloud services due to special characters in the password) the exhaust was still glorious. The pain came unexpectedly with my OTA upgrade to 11/2019.70 as it absolutely neutered the exhaust to the point only Sport Plus has any resemblance to the exhaust sound when I took delivery. The key is absolutely do not upgrade!
Thanks I won't, rub is the aforementioned Vehicle Will Turn Off Soon issue I'm getting and hope they don't force a new SW upgrade on me.
I would be thoroughly unhappy if they ruined the sonorous sounds my car's exhaust makes even with everything set to comfort. Have you contacted BMWUSA or spoken to your dealer's shop foreman for an explanation/resolution?

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Thanks I won't, rub is the aforementioned Vehicle Will Turn Off Soon issue I'm getting and hope they don't force a new SW upgrade on me.
I would be thoroughly unhappy if they ruined the sonorous sounds my car's exhaust makes even with everything set to comfort. Have you contacted BMWUSA or spoken to your dealer's shop foreman for an explanation/resolution?
I personally haven't but others have complained regarding the exhaust neutering. In fact one poster stated according to their SA it was the "controlled backfire" update (apologies to limeypride in advance as I promised to never say that again due to the shits and giggles it conjures). Now I just refer to it as the asinine neutering of a glorious stock exhaust.

As posted elsewhere, there are several states in the US with exhaust sound limits (80 dBA) so my theory is that BMW is addressing that across the board vs the fact here in AZ I just need a working muffler. In other words the lowest common denominator is the answer to avoid dealing with customer issues in the states with the limitations. Just my theory based on a couple of decades dealing in contract law in my career.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I personally haven't but others have complained regarding the exhaust neutering. In fact one poster stated according to their SA it was the "controlled backfire" update (apologies to limeypride in advance as I promised to never say that again due to the shits and giggles it conjures). Now I just refer to it as the asinine neutering of a glorious stock exhaust.

As posted elsewhere, there are several states in the US with exhaust sound limits (80 dBA) so my theory is that BMW is addressing that across the board vs the fact here in AZ I just need a working muffler. In other words the lowest common denominator is the answer to avoid dealing with customer issues in the states with the limitations. Just my theory based on a couple of decades dealing in contract law in my career.
Here in FL it's about a relaxed as you can get...straight piped Harley's blast by often especially on the east coast Ft Laud/Miami area scaring women and small children. Weird thing is BMW is doing this retroactively, but they were just fined $18M for inflating US monthly sales figures for the last FIVE years!
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...sales-73226354

Appreciate 0