M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Need input from 840i RWD owners. Thank you.

07-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Need input from 840i RWD owners. Thank you.

Hey guys, I'm narrowing down what I want. It's not that easy, since it has to be a compromise between sport and luxury. The new 3/4 series just doesn't feel special to me, and the interior looks worse, actually (with that huge screen tacked on, with ugly visible brackets). I started with the 5, to get massaging seats, but it wouldn't even fit in my smallish garage space (limit 192", and it's 196). Didn't realize it was such a boat, so it's out, and massaging seats had to be sacrificed. That leaves the 8 series. I was considering the M850 (4,500 lbs), and no RWD, so decided to leave it out too, even though I love V8s. I don't need that much performance, to be honest. MUCH rather have better handling, and since the 840 has the same tire sizes as the 850 (245/275s), and it's a whopping 545 lbs lighter (4,478 vs 3,933), and mostly from the front (larger engine + AWD hardware), it should handle much better IMO. And that's exactly what I want to find out here. Searched everywhere for a review, and ZERO freaking reviews of 840i coupes (just the much larger gran coupe). They sound the same inside, due to the same piped-in noise, but doesn't sound bad at all outside, to me surprise.

Now, I MUCH prefer to have the car as 'pure' as possible, meaning no RAS either. And THAT is also what I want to hear from actual owners. If it's just a slight handling penalty, at the cost of feeling more natural, I'd be perfectly happy with that. And without RAS, it still should handle better than a way heavier M850 with AWD and RAS, right? But if it's a massive difference between RAS or not, and doesn't feel artificial, then I might add it. The good news is it's a stand alone feature. I'd order it basically with all other options, so it'd ring right around $102K or so. I'd choose white with full ivory interior and headliner, B&W, etc.

Finally, the only other car I want to consider which has RWD and a V8 (and a much simpler NA at that), is the Lexus LC500. Unfortunately, even though it's 200 lbs lighter than the M850, it's still a whale at 4,300. And since I don't want Alcantara seats, I'd definitely order it without RAS, so with the 'touring' package, which includes semi-aniline red seats (the only choice), the ML stereo, etc. It'd also rings right about the same $102K. All comments welcome guys.

Oh, and I've been doing this without any test-drives yet. But it was a great idea, to remove emotion from logic. Ha ha. I just don't want a boat that even it feels nice initially, I'd tire from it soon for not handling the way I want. I could drive them later, just to compare, but I think doing the research on 'paper' and reviews initially was a good idea for me. Plus I won't be able to test drive all variations anyway, especially back to back (like an 840 RWD coupe with and without RAS). Heck, I hope to be able to find one of those 2 variations, since most available are gran coupes, or coupe X-Drives. So will rely in very good part from input from actual owners here. Thank you guys.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-07-2023 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tonn4.50
      07-07-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
Davesrb
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 840i, '24 X6 40i, '19 X7

Garage List
2019 BMW X7  [9.00]
2024 BMW X6 40i  [7.50]
2023 BMW 840i  [0.00]
I have a 2023 840i GC. I needed the usable rear seats, as I already have a car with useless rear seats. Mine has rear wheel drive and no rear steering. I love the handling and balance compared to the xdrive and RAS. To me the lighter weight and natural feel make up for the loss of 0-60 performance. The car is a joy to drive, and much more engaging that the xDrive version. I can imagine that the 2 door would be even more fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Thanks a million for that review; that's exactly what I thought the case would be, so thank you for confirming it. And yes, your car is 329 lbs heavier than a coupe, as well as 7.9" longer wheelbase, so the coupe should feel noticeably better indeed. And yes, I don't need at all a 3.6 0-60 (M850), or even the 4.4 from the X-Drive 840; the 4.7 is more than enough for me. And that's exactly a proper driver's car should be IMO: RWD, and nothing else. And that's exactly what the quintessential BMW formula is (or at least was). Oh and the longer range will be welcome too.

When I go to Austin in 1.5 weeks, will try to find one (even used) to test-drive. And same thing with an LC500 (without RAS too, meaning no rear spoiler), but I can't imagine that car handling better than the 840 RWD coupe when it weighs 4,340 lbs (vs 3,933), and have the same tire widths front and back (but 21s; yikes). Also curious between the ML and B&W stereos, but they should be similar. And same thing with the seats. The bad news for the Lexus is now it has a tacked-on touch-screen, but finally a front camera (actually 360), which is a must on a long-hood car. The bad news on that car is it's super limited on how you can order it. And I'm almost sure I'll like the 840 better, even with just a 6. Will review my test drive(s) here when I finally have a chance to do that. Thank you again for your great help. Take care.
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2023, 01:09 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep

An update. I'm not going to consider what my wife might or might not like anymore (per her suggestion, I may add. Ha ha), so will still consider the 840i as the largest car in my list, but I'm adding the Jaguar F-Type P450 RWD, and also a Cayman S PDK. All 3 cost about the same (100 grand fully optioned, give or take), all are RWD, and none would have RAS... but I should be able to get a substantial discount on the Jag. Still have to drive all 3, since none is available locally, new or used. Any comments comparing the bimmer with the other 2 would be greatly appreciated. The Cayman is the least luxurious/GT of the 3, of course, so I think the real battle will be with the Jag. And coincidentally, both are quite old, and on their last year (at least the Jag is for sure). And both have a ZF 8-sp tranny; probably the same. Thanks gang.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:20 AM   #5
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

I have owned both an 840i Coupe, and current car is an 840i GC. The B58 is a cracking engine, and a fantastic balance between power and economy. It can get a bit caught out in colder / wetter weather if you want to pull away quickly out of a junction or roundabout, but otherwise it’s superb. My GC is a bit worse for it, but that’s because it’s on Bridgestone Potenza S007 tyres and they are dog shit in anything other than hot & dry conditions. My Coupe was on Michelin PS3 run flats and was much grippier off the line.

It’s a very different car to both of the others - and it’s a huge step above the Jag in terms of interior quality, comfort and NVH. Not driven the Porsche, but again two very different beasts so will boil down to your preference on what you actually want out of a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Heck, I don't even know exactly what I want (ha ha), so I'll have to see which car 'talks to me' the best. I've always been a sports car guy, but at 61, I want something more on the GT side... but not sure how much. For sure comfortable, and also want it relatively quiet with everything in comfort mode. I know the Cayman would be hard to touch in the twisties, but it gets old after (and before) that. I owned a 2016 GTS, but had non-adjustable sport suspension (now it's S-PASM), and the 2.5T might be quieter than the H6, but not sure how much. I'm almost sure the contest will be between the Jag and 840i. Even though those cars are 4,6 and 8 cyl, they basically have the same acceleration to 60: 4.4s Cayman, 4.5s Jag, 4.6s 840i. And I'm pretty sure handling is in that order too, but any of the 3 should have enough for the streets. The real question is how they feel while driving them. I know neither of the larger cars will have the steering feel of the Cayman, but don't want it numb either.

I already owned a Cayman loaded to the gills, so I know how it'd look like, since they haven't changed inside at all (other than the GT steering wheel, and a slightly larger screen). Even with full leather, it feels spartan compared to the other 2 IMO. And this time I'd get the 14-way sport seats rather than the top 18-ways I had before; they felt too cramped, even for this 160-lb skinny guy. And the Bose stereo was crap. The Burmester wasn't available back then, but heard it's not worth getting on the Cayman; who knows. It's super noisy inside too, even with sport exhaust off (no difference inside). Maybe the turbo 4 is quieter in off mode, but not sure. If not, it'd be a deal-breaker, as nice as it drives (especially in the twisties).

I sat on a fully-loaded F-Type P450 RWD with the tan full extended leather, and the upgraded surround Meridian, and it sounded really good. Some reviewers dinged it, but they were older cars, so maybe it was upgraded, since it sounds very good. Not as good as my ex-Tesla, or my brother's top Meridian system on his Sport SVR (it's phenomenal), but perfectly acceptable. I liked how the car felt with that interior (performance seats with Windsor leather), which would be the only one I'd consider.

Finally, also sat on a loaded M850i with the extended 'orange'/black leather, and the B&W stereo. Adjusted the B&W EQ as suggested somewhere here, and it's the best sounding system of the 3, but the Jag is not far behind. Felt nice inside too, but also felt big, where the Jag feels cozier and sportier. I know the Jag will be noisier than the BMW, and probably ride a little harsher too, so that will detract points from it, but curious how much is the difference. The biggest weight will be assigned to how they drive, though. None of those 3 vehicles are available to drive here, so will have to wait until I go to Austin and SoCal in the next month or two.

Wish I knew which car I liked the best already, to make things easier. The cheapest would be the Jag for sure, since you can get those discounted. The best I can do with the Porsche is MSRP, AND I'd have to order one (none available), so no luck there. Austin has 2 allocations as of now, but if they go away, I wouldn't wait a year (it'd be 5 months now). I don't know if you can get the BMW discounted, since the 840i is not a popular model, but there aren't any fully loaded like I want it. Not the ivory interior I want, no full leather, and no B&W. So if I order one, I'd probably be MSRP too... and take forever to get. I searched for pristine used ones in all 3, but as expected, none are fully loaded like I want them. So even if I prefer 'x' car if ordered exactly to my liking, I might choose the 'y' one with what's available either new or used. ALL of these are 'old' cars, either on the way out, or completely out (like the Jag), so it might not make financial sense at all to buy them new, especially if not discounted (and substantially). But once I drive them all, will know better which way to go. Will keep you posted, and all comments welcome in the mean time. Thanks guys.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-05-2023 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Hey gang, still haven't been able to test-drive an 840i RWD non-RAS yet (nor any 8 series, for that matter). But there are none available fully loaded anyway (a rare beast, as most are X-Drive), so I'd have to order one, and would take forever. Can't find a fully-loaded F-Type RWD either, and no Lexus LC500 as well. And haven't driven any of them, so I haven't really even properly started the buying process.

But I'm starting to think I need to drop my idealistic RWD sporty GT car, and if I drive a AWD variant of those above, and it feels good enough, AND I can get a good discount, just freaking buy it. And that's especially true for the BMW, since I cannot have a V8 M850 in RWD form (truly unfortunate reality, especially on a BMW). I also didn't want RAS nor variable-ratio steering, just adding complication, weight, and handling weirdness (more like a video game, with little to no feel), but at least the last part should be easy to get used to, I'd guess. But it'd mostly be driven on non-twisty roads.

Anyway, the point of all of this is to ask you if you know how much is the most one could expect to obtain in discount for a 2024 M850i with a sticker of $112K that has been sitting for months at a local dealer. Unfortunately it's freaking black, which I said it was an absolute deal-breaker, but has B&W, glass controls, but not sure if it has the better seats, and doesn't seem to have leather dash, nor Alcantara headliner. The orange/black interior is not what I wanted, but it's not bad. I think I'd be happy with this car, obviously something I could confirm after driving it, but no way I'd pay anywhere near MSRP for it. I'd rather find a pristine used one for much less, and with more of the options/colors I want if needed. But much prefer to buy new if possible. So my plan is to tell dealer I'd only pay 'x' for that car, and to give me a call if they want to consider that, and I haven't bought anything yet. Will start perusing the classifieds, and if I can live with a used one, it'd be a MUCH better financial move, since these cars seem to depreciate like a rock. Thanks gang. Here's the car, to see if you can spot missing features I couldn't:
https://www.bmwofelpaso.com/inventor...c4c03rcn22519/

EDIT: Forgot to add the only local Jaguar dealership is the only one 600 miles around (in Austin), and it ceased being a Jag dealership in July (now only LR). And that has been happening A LOT, even in Houston, where out of the 3 dealerships, only 1 remains. Supposedly they can still service Jaguars for 5 years, but read they're no more than a Jiffy Lube, since they reportedly cannot perform warranty or recall work (sounds obvious to me, not being Jag franchised dealers anymore). I'll call Monday, but if that's the case, then I'd go for my 2nd choice, which is the M850i coupe. I wanted something sportier, while still GT. But the good news, like I mentioned, is I haven't driven one, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing. Ha ha. And I'm sure an 850 will feel good enough.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-12-2023 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 06:31 PM   #8
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCtx View Post

Anyway, the point of all of this is to ask you if you know how much is the most one could expect to obtain in discount for a 2024 M850i with a sticker of $112K that has been sitting for months at a local dealer.
Unfortunately it's freaking black, which I said it was an absolute deal-breaker, but has B&W, glass controls, but not sure if it has the better seats, and doesn't seem to have leather dash, nor Alcantara headliner. The orange/black interior is not what I wanted, but it's not bad. I think I'd be happy with this car, obviously something I could confirm after driving it, but no way I'd pay anywhere near MSRP for it. I'd rather find a pristine used one for much less, and with more of the options/colors I want if needed. But much prefer to buy new if possible. So my plan is to tell dealer I'd only pay 'x' for that car, and to give me a call if they want to consider that, and I haven't bought anything yet. Will start perusing the classifieds, and if I can live with a used one, it'd be a MUCH better financial move, since these cars seem to depreciate like a rock. Thanks gang. Here's the car, to see if you can spot missing features I couldn't:
https://www.bmwofelpaso.com/inventor...c4c03rcn22519/
Jesus, man. Don't tease me like this. I found my 2022 M850 on the lot (when I wasn't really looking) in the spring of '22. This one is my ideal spec (mine wasn't). It was also stickered at 112k. Been on the lot for awhile, too. I got about 6k off and they gave me a good deal on my trade-in (it sold for less than they paid me). You have Bowers & Wilkens, I got the carbon package. I would trade carbon for B&W any day of the week.

First off.......it's not black. It's Carbon Black - dark blue. Big difference. Ok, it's really dark blue.
Name:  168-20230426_115922.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  141.5 KB

Second.....its not orange seats. It's Tartufo. I would kill for Tartufo. (I have black....dammmit)

Third........you want a good used one? Mine's a little over a year old, pristine condition, mostly highway miles. 30,000 of them as of today.

I can be there in 4 days and drive the new one home

Awwwwww, hell. Just noticed you're looking at a 2 door. I need the GC. Guess it's not my ideal spec. Dang.

So, just test drive it. You'll get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 10:03 AM   #9
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY24 Porsche Taycan

Garage List
I purchased my 23 8C in December and I love it more every day.

The B58 seemed quick enough immediately, but beginning at around 1k miles it really started to loosen up and exhaust note got louder and more rumbl-y. I’m blown away with the performance and sound of this engine. If you want to have a little fun it will do a burn out and power slide without even being in Sport Plus. But on highway I get almost 30mpg at 75-80mph cruise, without ecopro.

The chassis is super planted and sorted and handling at any speed is so impressive.

Ride even in Sport is smooth and compliant even on broken or rough pavement. Cabin is quiet, seats are comfortable and cannot recommend the B&W highly enough.

You can visit my garage for more pics and packages info, but here’s a couple of good shots of her.

I did change the tires from the stock 245/35 and 275/30 run flats to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus in 245/40 and 275/35 A/S. Great tire and really closed up the gap, looks lowered.

Buy one!
Attached Images

MY24 Audi SQ5 Prestige | Mythos black metallic | Magma red Nappa

Retired: MY23 BMW 840i Coupe | MY21 Audi SQ5 | MY19 Audi A6
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5207.50
      08-13-2023, 06:00 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Hey gang, still haven't been able to test-drive an 840i RWD non-RAS yet (nor any 8 series, for that matter). But there are none available fully loaded anyway (a rare beast, as most are X-Drive), so I'd have to order one, and would take forever. Can't find a fully-loaded F-Type RWD either, and no Lexus LC500 as well. And haven't driven any of them, so I haven't really even properly started the buying process.
I'd take a LC500 over the F-Type any day of the week but you want a 2024 as it has the new NA designed Infotainment vs the junk on the launch through 2023s.

Quote:
But I'm starting to think I need to drop my idealistic RWD sporty GT car, and if I drive a AWD variant of those above, and it feels good enough, AND I can get a good discount, just freaking buy it. And that's especially true for the BMW, since I cannot have a V8 M850 in RWD form (truly unfortunate reality, especially on a BMW). I also didn't want RAS nor variable-ratio steering, just adding complication, weight, and handling weirdness (more like a video game, with little to no feel), but at least the last part should be easy to get used to, I'd guess. But it'd mostly be driven on non-twisty roads.
I understand the desire for RWD and no RAS from a weight perspective but the power of the N63 overcomes that with ease. Regardless, the 8-series is a long wheelbase so it takes some time getting used to regardless in a le to "throw it around". It took some time for me to get used to it but I can throw my M850i around with ease. For example there is one local neighborhood street that uses roundabouts vs speed bumps to control traffic speed. They are designed for 15 to 20 MPH but I can do 30+ MPH through them with ease.

RAS is controversial but IMO it is a total plus due to the wheel base length. I can U-turn in practically a 2-lane road and at high speeds 130MPH+ it's not even involved so the handling is perfect.

Quote:
Anyway, the point of all of this is to ask you if you know how much is the most one could expect to obtain in discount for a 2024 M850i with a sticker of $112K that has been sitting for months at a local dealer. Unfortunately it's freaking black, which I said it was an absolute deal-breaker, but has B&W, glass controls, but not sure if it has the better seats, and doesn't seem to have leather dash, nor Alcantara headliner. The orange/black interior is not what I wanted, but it's not bad. I think I'd be happy with this car, obviously something I could confirm after [...]
As per Snowbimmer it is indeed Carbon Black which is a black with dark blue hues. At night definitely black but in the sunlight you see the dark blue. I can see the confusion on the leather but it is indeed Tartufo. The dealer either got lazy and threw in some Fiona Red shots from another car they had or the camera used needs a calibration plus proper lighting.

All M850i's come standard with a leather dash (840s should as well but have never looked at one). For thoroughness I ran the VIN and confirmed: B&W, DAP, glass controls, Shadowline and Alcantara.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:42 PM   #11
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Yes, 840 has leather dash as well…at least my 23 does.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 06:19 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Thank you very much for all of those great posts. I didn't know my thread had any comments after my last post until now. I thought a leather dash was an option on 850s, and on 840s also an option, but you only get SensaTec, not Nappa leather, like on 850s. Need to revisit the configurator.

And I wanted RWD only not only for weight savings, but also for handling feel, and less complication, to increase the chances of keeping it after warranty expires (something I haven't done in decades, to be honest, but would like to. Ha ha). But we'll see when I have the chance to drive one. Will call local dealer and see what they say.

EDIT: Just called local dealer, and car is sold. Maybe @Snowbeemer bought it. I still want to drive an 840i RWD first, and if it feels adequate power wise (I'm almost sure it will), never drive an 850, so I don't regret not getting a V8... because I'm sure everything else will be nicer on the 840, since it's almost 600 lbs lighter. Will have to wait until I travel to be able to drive one. Oh well.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-15-2023 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
Accentu8703.50
Davesrb184.00
      08-16-2023, 12:32 PM   #13
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very much for all of those great posts. I didn't know my thread had any comments after my last post until now. I thought a leather dash was an option on 850s, and on 840s also an option, but you only get SensaTec, not Nappa leather, like on 850s. Need to revisit the configurator.

And I wanted RWD only not only for weight savings, but also for handling feel, and less complication, to increase the chances of keeping it after warranty expires (something I haven't done in decades, to be honest, but would like to. Ha ha). But we'll see when I have the chance to drive one. Will call local dealer and see what they say.

EDIT: Just called local dealer, and car is sold. Maybe @Snowbeemer bought it. I still want to drive an 840i RWD first, and if it feels adequate power wise (I'm almost sure it will), never drive an 850, so I don't regret not getting a V8... because I'm sure everything else will be nicer on the 840, since it's almost 600 lbs lighter. Will have to wait until I travel to be able to drive one. Oh well.
I truly believe I could’ve purchased the 840C without driving it as long as it was right color inside and out with the right options. Also, maybe your dealer would be willing to find you one and trade that dealer for it without commitment from you. Never hurts to ask…

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 12:51 PM   #14
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I have had a 840GC with all options for just over a year and love it. Performance wise it iis way more than enough for real world driving plus extremely comfortable and quiet…although it does make some nice noises in Sport mode if you are that way inclined. I get close to 30mpg in daily use and about 42mpg on motorway runs.

Will the V8 give you more? Of course it will.

Do you need it? Only you know.
Appreciate 1
Accentu8703.50
      08-16-2023, 01:03 PM   #15
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post

Do you need it? Only you know.
That would be a big, fat yes!!😁
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2023, 04:29 PM   #16
Avallon
Private
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

Bear in mind that merino and nappa leather are different things.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 06:01 PM   #17
Davesrb
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 840i, '24 X6 40i, '19 X7

Garage List
2019 BMW X7  [9.00]
2024 BMW X6 40i  [7.50]
2023 BMW 840i  [0.00]
Quote:

Might be time for you to take a vacation and head over to 30A in Florida. Everybody else in Tx was here this summer! lol. You can test drive my 840i GC and see what you think.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:26 PM   #18
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
Performance wise it is way more than enough for real world driving plus extremely comfortable and quiet…Do you need it? Only you know.
Now I have no doubt it'd be enough, after your post. Ha ha. To be brutally honest, I just wanted the V8 because it's going to disappear very soon, and it sounds awesome. But don't need the extra power. And I really don't want AWD, RAS, or variable-ratio steering, all of which add extra complication, weight at the wrong end (the front), and isolate the car from our senses, almost like driving in a video game, I'd guess. Plus a lot less range, so I really want an 840 RWD coupe only (no RAS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avallon View Post
Bear in mind that merino and nappa leather are different things.
Oh yeah; I know. Merino is on seats and doors, and Nappa on dash only. Did I get that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrb View Post
Might be time for you to take a vacation and head over to 30A in Florida. Everybody else in Tx was here this summer! lol. You can test drive my 840i GC and see what you think.
Is that the Emerald coast? I was around that area ages ago, visiting a friend in Panama City. Last time I was in FL a few years ago, I visited a cousin in Coral Gables, and drove to Key West with my wife and daughter. And hey, thanks a million for your offer; greatly appreciated.

The sad part about this is I'd never find exactly what I'm looking for, which is a white 840i RWD coupe with white full extended ivory Merino leather with ivory Alcantara headliner loaded to the gills, except RAS. I could live with other non-black exterior colors, and maybe Tartuffo interior with black headliner, but that's about it. I doubt I'd use any of the driver aid package features much, but it's a must for resale. And the few times I want to use them I'd like them there. I looked all over for any such new and used vehicle, and zero hits. And a special order would take over a year (at MSRP).

Oh, I was disappointed not to see double-pane windows on even the 850, when my lowly G70 has them. But hope that, along with no door frames, doesn't make the car too noisy at 80 mph cruising speeds. Hope road noise is low too. That's why I don't want a sports car anymore, like my ex-Cayman GTS, which was awesome in the twisties, but torture on the way there. Ha ha. I want something more like sport/GT in feel, and out of the 8 series models, only the 840 RWD could provide, since I put the sport threshold at 4K lbs, and the 850 is WAAAY above that (4,500). And even the 840 X-Drive should be at least 4,100. Therefore, they're strictly GT cars IMO. Will keep you posted, and thanks again for all the great comments and help.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 01:23 AM   #19
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Now I have no doubt it'd be enough, after your post. Ha ha. To be brutally honest, I just wanted the V8 because it's going to disappear very soon, and it sounds awesome. But don't need the extra power. And I really don't want AWD, RAS, or variable-ratio steering, all of which add extra complication, weight at the wrong end (the front), and isolate the car from our senses, almost like driving in a video game, I'd guess. Plus a lot less range, so I really want an 840 RWD coupe only (no RAS).

Oh yeah; I know. Merino is on seats and doors, and Nappa on dash only. Did I get that right?

Is that the Emerald coast? I was around that area ages ago, visiting a friend in Panama City. Last time I was in FL a few years ago, I visited a cousin in Coral Gables, and drove to Key West with my wife and daughter. And hey, thanks a million for your offer; greatly appreciated.

The sad part about this is I'd never find exactly what I'm looking for, which is a white 840i RWD coupe with white full extended ivory Merino leather with ivory Alcantara headliner loaded to the gills, except RAS. I could live with other non-black exterior colors, and maybe Tartuffo interior with black headliner, but that's about it. I doubt I'd use any of the driver aid package features much, but it's a must for resale. And the few times I want to use them I'd like them there. I looked all over for any such new and used vehicle, and zero hits. And a special order would take over a year (at MSRP).

Oh, I was disappointed not to see double-pane windows on even the 850, when my lowly G70 has them. But hope that, along with no door frames, doesn't make the car too noisy at 80 mph cruising speeds. Hope road noise is low too. That's why I don't want a sports car anymore, like my ex-Cayman GTS, which was awesome in the twisties, but torture on the way there. Ha ha. I want something more like sport/GT in feel, and out of the 8 series models, only the 840 RWD could provide, since I put the sport threshold at 4K lbs, and the 850 is WAAAY above that (4,500). And even the 840 X-Drive should be at least 4,100. Therefore, they're strictly GT cars IMO. Will keep you posted, and thanks again for all the great comments and help.
You overcomplicate.

Dravit with Ivory White merino is perfection.

As for headliners, I may be wrong but I think all the sunroof cars are black, don’t know about the carbon roof models. May be different in different markets?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 07:43 AM   #20
VP007
Private
Rep
Drives: 6 Series Gran Coupe

I have an 840i and in the UK we don’t get the RAS or Xdrive unless specified as an option.

Unfortunately I have not driven a RAS or Xdrive version, but what I have is probably the most stable and planted car I have driven.

The car effortlessly changes lanes and feels like one unit. It is a lot more nimble than I expected and is flat through the corners. For reference It is bigger than the 640D Gran Coupe I had before, but handles significantly better and in a more reassuring way.

The 840i engine is all the power I need for UK roads and has some pretty amazing economy figures. I recently did a motorway run and was hitting 42mpg +. Combined with the Driving Assistant Plus, sunroof and ivory leather, it really is a nice place to be on a long journey.
Appreciate 2
Accentu8703.50
Seaford1147.50
      08-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #21
Accentu8
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is no wind noise at any speed..or at least up to 105 which is as fast as I’ve gone (so far).

I lucked into mine, but when I was looking, I just searched all BMW dealers in Texas. BMW Grapevine has 4 or 5 good color/option combos and I don’t think any of them are AWD or have IAS (aka RAS).

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 10:14 PM   #22
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP007 View Post
The car effortlessly changes lanes and feels like one unit. It is a lot more nimble than I expected and is flat through the corners.
Thank you for that testimonial. Your comment made me realize I'm not going to compromise on what I want, which is RWD and less than 2 tons. The 840 is already heavy and large enough to barely fit in my definition of GT Sport. I don't want a sports car anymore, nor a heavy GT; something in the middle. As I mention, I have no doubt I'd like an M850 or 840 X-Drive on a test-drive, but I'd probably regret my purchase later. And I really like the frugal aspect of the I-6 engine, especially the added range. So will wait for the right car, even if I have to consider a used one later on. Rather buy the 'right' pristine used one (if it comes to that), than the 'wrong' new one. And glad you're enjoying yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say My Name View Post
There is no wind noise at any speed..or at least up to 105 which is as fast as I’ve gone (so far).
Hey, thank you very much for that comment. I haven't heard about that, and was mildly worried. I don't expect Lexus LS quiet (which is quieter than an S-class), so I know it won't be an issue.
Just checked Sewell Grapevine inventory, and only 2 840 RWDs. One no B&W, and the other was looking great, until no DAP; darn. And that crazy expensive (and super finicky) 'frozen' paint, which would have been a deal-breaker anyway, so out as well. But will search for all remaining TX dealers tomorrow, and report back if I find anything. Thank you for all the added help.
Appreciate 2
VP00774.00
Accentu8703.50