M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850ix Software Update - A Tragedy in Multiple Acts

08-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #265
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMofoFrog View Post
07.2020 works fine in my 11.2018 build M850i.
I know it works and runs fine.

I know plenty of people with 2018 cars running the 07.2020 software.

It's just that on my car, for some reason, the dealership have decided I can't have it!

Can I be bothered to keep going back to the dealership? No, honestly I can't. So, I'll have to get a private coder to do it.

M
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #266
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Quote:
07.2020 works fine in my 11.2018 build M850i.
I know it works and runs fine.

I know plenty of people with 2018 cars running the 07.2020 software.

It's just that on my car, for some reason, the dealership have decided I can't have it!

Can I be bothered to keep going back to the dealership? No, honestly I can't. So, I'll have to get a private coder to do it.

M
Very frustrating and sorry to hear. It was a bit to get my dealer to update as well. Fortunately I had CarPlay issues with it dropping out and I managed to convince them to update it. Wasn't easy.
      08-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #267
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Very frustrating and sorry to hear. It was a bit to get my dealer to update as well. Fortunately I had CarPlay issues with it dropping out and I managed to convince them to update it. Wasn't easy.
msm2000uk that is the key as based on information shared by others with a much longer history than I have with BMW the iDrive updates at a dealer need to be covered under warranty labor hours. Hence, have an issue, e.g., CarPlay or anything else it will be covered. For 07/2020 when I'm ready my simple argument will be that I want the new Android Auto capability regardless that I'll use it or not. However, given BMW is offering it to any existing car with iDrive 7 that will trigger a no questions asked labor hours under warranty for the dealer to install.

As for a 3rd party coder I'm not sure they will have access to a full iDrive release. Yes, they can code against what is installed to enable features not included in the region (e.g., anti-dazzle here in the US) or modify configuration settings. However, in the case of 07/2020 they cannot magically enable Android Auto or the IoS digital key as it is non-existent in the earlier releases.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:49 AM   #268
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Hi Blooze,
thanks for your informative posts. Do you think the 2019 headunits have different hardware then meaning no software updates can enable or bring Android Auto? My wife's X4 was produced on 26.09.2019 and through a complete software update @BMW (they flashed all ECUs in early August) the car now has Android Auto. Perhaps it is a 2020 as I do not know when 2020 SOP for the G02 models. I'd be disappointed if I cannot get Android Auto enabled on my M850i though I would still live with it as all the other stuff functioning properly is utmost priority. After all if I buy a 2019 build chances are the 2020 and later models will logically have some features that mine does not have.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:52 AM   #269
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Hi Blooze,
thanks for your informative posts. Do you think the 2019 headunits have different hardware then meaning no software updates can enable or bring Android Auto? My wife's X4 was produced on 26.09.2019 and through a complete software update @BMW (they flashed all ECUs in early August) the car now has Android Auto. Perhaps it is a 2020 as I do not know when 2020 SOP for the G02 models. I'd be disappointed if I cannot get Android Auto enabled on my M850i though I would still live with it as all the other stuff functioning properly is utmost priority. After all if I buy a 2019 build chances are the 2020 and later models will logically have some features that mine does not have.
I think you will be OK if you have the upgrade. Mine is a June 2019 build and I have the android auto.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS604.50
      09-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #270
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Just got my car back. Upgraded to 07/2020.45 now. I have Android Auto and the car made it home without any software glitches.

No iPhone digital key, but maybe BMW Connect hasn't realized the car has been updated. Or maybe my car is just too 'old'. It is a 12/18 build, so others with a 2018 build should be able to get the update.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #271
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
This is the view I get on the 840i but not on the M850i. BMW are saying that this is not available on any cars pre- November 2019. Weird there are Youtube videos from last Feb with it on.

Maybe I need to go down the coding route too.
Did you people finally get it coded? I just coded the assisted driving view on cluster myself, as mine being a March 2019 build did not have that feature despite the latest update. After coding, you need to enable it in the CAR settings under the "DISPLAYS" menu by selecting the instrument cluser and ticking the box "Display Assisted Driving View when driver assistance is active".

The ECU to be coded is DKOMBI4 and the following items must be set to "aktiv":

CB_FZG_UMGBUNG_FAS - aktiv
CB_PRESELECT_NAVI_ANSICHT_FZG_UMGBUNG - aktiv
PIA_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS - aktiv
SICHT_ABSICHT_ENABLE - aktiv

If you do not have a professional tool (esys / esyX etc.), you can do via Bimmercode in expert mode.

It's late here now but tomorrow I want to test it and see it actually at work with the system engaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #272
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you people finally get it coded? I just coded the assisted driving view on cluster myself, as mine being a March 2019 build did not have that feature despite the latest update. After coding, you need to enable it in the CAR settings under the "DISPLAYS" menu by selecting the instrument cluser and ticking the box "Display Assisted Driving View when driver assistance is active".

If you do not have a professional tool (esys / esyX etc.), you can do via Bimmercode in expert mode.

It's late here now but tomorrow I want to test it and see it actually at work with the system engaged.
Fingers crossed that this works for you tomorrow when you test it out with full driving assistance engaged. BMW has been claiming this was a new feature on the 2020s only but it never made sense to me as the 2019s with the full driving assistance packages have all the hardware and iDrive controls the digital cockpit center display where this shows up. Hopefully, you have cracked that nut of disinformation and have paved the way for fellow 2019 owners!

I personally love the feature and have used it numerous times in my 2020 M850i on various longer road trips in full auto mode. In fact the software/hardware inner geek in me appreciates the extra detail BMW put into it as larger vehicles show up as trucks vs cars. Semi-trucks are always displayed this way but there is an algorithm in play to the point that larger targets, e.g., a 1 ton cargo van will display as a truck vs car as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #273
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Fingers crossed that this works for you tomorrow when you test it out with full driving assistance engaged. BMW has been claiming this was a new feature on the 2020s only but it never made sense to me as the 2019s with the full driving assistance packages have all the hardware and iDrive controls the digital cockpit center display where this shows up. Hopefully, you have cracked that nut of disinformation and have paved the way for fellow 2019 owners!

I personally love the feature and have used it numerous times in my 2020 M850i on various longer road trips in full auto mode. In fact the software/hardware inner geek in me appreciates the extra detail BMW put into it as larger vehicles show up as trucks vs cars. Semi-trucks are always displayed this way but there is an algorithm in play to the point that larger targets, e.g., a 1 ton cargo van will display as a truck vs car as well.
On a side note I coded this on my 11.2018 build date M850i with the 07.2020 update and it works wonderfully using the same fdl coding.
      09-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #274
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Just tested it today and it works fine I can confirm. Others will have tested and coded it before but still it's good to consolidate on this so we know that basically ANY M850 build (2018, 2019, 2020 up to 07) can have it enabled.
Next I am going for the Lane Change Assist enablement (if the related parameters are available) so that cluster gets a bit more "animation" still.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #275
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just tested it today and it works fine I can confirm. Others will have tested and coded it before but still it's good to consolidate on this so we know that basically ANY M850 build (2018, 2019, 2020 up to 07) can have it enabled.
Next I am going for the Lane Change Assist enablement (if the related parameters are available) so that cluster gets a bit more "animation" still.
With lane change assist, it works on mainly highways and freeways. There is a four lane secondary highway I routinely take (highway 6 north of 403 to the 401 in Ontario) that it is not enabled on. Major highways, such as the 401, 403 and 407 work perfectly. Just a heads up as it appears to depend on the type of highway it will be enabled for. That has been my experience anyway.
      09-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #276
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
With lane change assist, it works on mainly highways and freeways. There is a four lane secondary highway I routinely take (highway 6 north of 403 to the 401 in Ontario) that it is not enabled on. Major highways, such as the 401, 403 and 407 work perfectly. Just a heads up as it appears to depend on the type of highway it will be enabled for. That has been my experience anyway.
Thanks for notifying. I will wait for the appropriate highway perhaps when I drive to Germany will be a good occasion to test it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #277
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If memory serves it also has a speed component as well, i.e., it will not engage unless a certain speed has been achieved. I've also found that it will only switch across dashed dividing lane markers. The discovery came into play as although it is enabled on one of our metropolitan highways here in Phoenix I could not get it to change into the car pool lane. The system "sees" the lane and I kept trying to get it to activate. I then realized the difference between the carpool and other lanes is it has a solid line between it and the adjacent normal lane.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #278
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

I have coded the Lane Assist just before the rainstorm came.... as my Ethernet cable hangs down from the balcony and is fully exposed! So I have enabled it and when I have the opportunity I will test it too.

These are the ECUs and parameters I had to code:

BDC_Body3 > CAFD_7083 > SPURWECHSEL_ASSISTENT - aktiv
HU_MGU > CAFD_3E52 > SPURWECHSELASSISTENT - gen_1

For other BMW models there is an additional parameter in SAS2.I could not find this ECU so I suppose it does not apply to and thus isn't necessary for G15 cars. Anyone else who have coded Lane Assist please advise if you also miss this ECU?
Appreciate 1
msm2000uk178.00
      09-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #279
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Exactly what function/s am I missing in my 19 w/o this feature enabled ? thx

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #280
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Exactly what function/s am I missing in my 19 w/o this feature enabled ? thx
If you have the Driving Assistance Professional Package on your 2019 here in the US you should already have Lane Change assistant enabled. However, what you will not have is the feature in which the digital cockpit replaces the center map with basically what the car "sees", i.e., lanes, cars surrounding you, etc. Attached is a quick shot I took during one of my drives with it enabled.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #281
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have the Driving Assistance Professional Package on your 2019 here in the US you should already have Lane Change assistant enabled. However, what you will not have is the feature in which the digital cockpit replaces the center map with basically what the car "sees", i.e., lanes, cars surrounding you, etc. Attached is a quick shot I took during one of my drives with it enabled.
Ahhh, thanks. I do have the package and it would be nice to have what's showing on your 20 and FBMWWINS has enabled. On another note, I go in this week for my 1 year service and will tell them not to update my software...hoping BMW doesn't force it.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #282
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ahhh, thanks. I do have the package and it would be nice to have what's showing on your 20 and FBMWWINS has enabled. On another note, I go in this week for my 1 year service and will tell them not to update my software...hoping BMW doesn't force it.
Forgot to add what is not in that picture is the fact it will show the car in front of you as ACC tracks it along with the "buffer" setting you have in play for the distance. All very cool.

As for the dealer updating your iDrive software, apparently they will not do so unless there is a service bulletin, e.g., the rear camera issue as otherwise the labor warranty for the upgrade is not covered by BMW. The other way to get it updated is to claim an issue similar to what I had back in December in which my Connected App would no longer "connect" to the car. Thus, you should be good to go but it makes sense to tell them your happy with the iDrive setup just in case.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 09-20-2020 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #283
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to add what is not in that picture is the fact it will show the car in front of you as ACC tracks it along with the "buffer" setting you have in play for the distance. All very cool.

As for the dealer updating your iDrive software, apparently they will not do so unless there is a service bulletin, e.g., the rear camera issue as otherwise the labor warranty for the upgrade is not covered by MBW. The other way to get it updated is to claim an issue similar to what I had back in December in which my Connected App would no longer "connect" to the car. Thus, you should be good to go but it makes sense to tell them your happy with the iDrive setup just in case.
Thx

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 02:39 AM   #284
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Indeed you always have the right to state that you do NOT wish any software update/s by any means. Unless the car has a known issue or a retrofit was performed where in both instances a software update is required.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11290.50
      10-01-2020, 12:17 AM   #285
Slayerkillhate
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M8

Guys not want to start bew topic, can someone please say do you able to order in bmwapps services BMW IconicSound sport for M8 its available?

ps I am not have in my country bmw Connected services at all, so wonder - maybe dig it and code if available for our M8
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #286
chillo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840d Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillo View Post
My Update file size on connected drive:
Following previous OTA upgrade from 11.2018 to 11.2019 I Just received notification of 07/2020.54 OTA upgrade! (i'm in the UK).
Have updated and all ok.
Attached Images

Ducati Panigale v4r
Ducati 1299s
Appreciate 0