M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 new car/experience control system

05-09-2019, 01:15 AM   #1
sergey8
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW M8 new car/experience control system

Hi Folks,

So as expected BMW has unveiled their new car control system. Bimmerpost presents an extensive article on the subject here: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1612380

The system will first debut on M8 but as we have seen on the pictures will also make its way into soon to be unveiled X5M, X6M and undoubtedly M3.

Since as usual what we have heard so far is only how great the system is and that the new braking system weighs by "impressive" 2 kgs less, let's analyse what we have actually seen or noticed and what it will mean for the driving.

The most important thing to notice is that the M xdrive does not require switching off the stability system anymore. You can notice that in the video when they are in the sport setup menu they simply toggle between 4WD, 4WD Sport and 2WD. On F90 as you remember you would need to go into a very separate menu where 4WD Sport and 2 WD would be greyed out until you switch ESP to MDM or completely off. This change has to do with the introduction of the integrated braking system which finally allows integrating new M xDrive torque driven stability control with old school brake driven stability control (which is required in 2WD mode).

What we also notice in the video is that there is no setup anymore for the gear change system. Why? Well, because it actually only made sense when there was a DCT. With the conventional torque converter all we need for the gear is to change as quickly as possible. I guess they kept the functionality on the M5 F90 just for legacy.

A separate setup for the brakes I think is simply great especially for those who do not drive their M cars on the track.

We also see a new sport oriented display which looks very much like a display from a video game couple of years ago. Which I do not think is a bad thing. It means that finally the car makers caught on with modern computer graphics development.

As regards the Mode button which switches off the baby-sitting systems as well as the infotainment system. I think it is more a nice-to-have than a must. You can switch off the baby-sitting by pushing and holding the corresponding button on normal BMW cars. And personally I like hearing music while driving on the track...

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by sergey8; 05-09-2019 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0